From the Android developers website, the new version of Android 12 for TV has already been presented and will be updated to Google TV compatible systems shortly.
With this update Google introduces improvements long demanded by users as the user environment rendered in 4K, automatic refresh rate change system integrated into the system in addition to security improvements, support for microphone or cameras more detailed and new features such as HDMI CEC 2.0.
All these changes will only be deployed on certified devices with good support from the manufacturer. In devices with almost no support even if they are certified we can have Android TV 12, but surely we will not have all these features, it is something that already happens with devices with current Android TV versions.
You can read the complete change list in Android TV 12 with technical explanations of each of these new features if you need more information. We hope to be able to test these changes soon on a compatible device.
- Avoid motion judder during playback using refresh rate switching
- Certified API-accuracy for reporting display modes, HDR formats and surround sound formats
- Background blurs using RenderEffect and in WindowManager
- 4K UI support
- Accessibility settings for font sizes
Privacy & Security
- Microphone and camera indicators
- Microphone and camera toggles
- Device attestation via Android KeyStore API
HDMI & Tuner
- Support for HDMI CEC 2.0
- Tuner HAL 1.1 with DTMB support and performance improvements
- Better protection model with Tuner Service