The Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U is a new mini PC of reduced dimensions of the brand Beelink of which today we present its analysis or review, a computer that allows us to use desktop, navigation and multimedia.
This compact mini PC integrates the Intel Core i3-8109U processor with an Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU, options with 8/16 GB DDR4 RAM modules (two slots), 256/500 GB M.2 NVMe disk and the possibility of expanding it with another internal 2.5″ SATA disk. The operating system installed is Windows 10, which can be upgraded to Windows 11 without any problems. With the hardware included we can use it for office, multimedia, browsing or desktop apps. Let’s see how this device behaves in our review.
Beelink SEi8 DETAILS
Unboxing Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U
The new compact mini PC Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U comes in a simple but well protected cardboard box. Inside we find the small protected computer with its contents, manual, 2x HDMI cable, VESA bracket and 19V 3A (57 W).
This mini PC Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U has a very attractive design with the Beelink logo in the upper area with a grated finish. On the front we have a status LED on the power button, audio jack, BIOS reset button inside a hole, two USB 3.0 ports and a USB 3.0 Type-C only for data, on the back we highlight its two HDMI 1.4 connectors that allows dual video output. Included with the mini PC we have a VESA bracket to hang it behind our monitor.
On the inside of this mini PC we find the latest generation Wifi 5 + BT 4.2 adapter (Intel AC 7265) with two internal antennas. When we open it we find the M.2 2280 NVMe disk mounted, next to it we have two SODIMM slots and the SATA 3 disk connector to accommodate a 2.5″ disk inside with the included brackets.
- Networking: Wifi 5 + BT 4.2 (Intel AC 7265) with two internal antennas / Gigabit Ethernet.
- Expansions: 1x M.2 NVMe / 1x SATA 2.5″ / 2x SODIMM 2400 GHz.
- Extras: VESA support.
In the lower internal area we have a blower fan that passes air through two pipes and copper radiators that serve as a cooling system. As we will see a sufficient system to keep temperatures at bay in all scenarios, the fan has a low noise level and is set to minimum revolutions on desktop making it almost inaudible.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and user experience
We boot up the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U PC by pressing the front power button and as the specifications indicate we have Windows 10 Pro 64bit that is activated when connected to the internet, we have drivers installed correctly and we update it without problems using the official image of Windows 11. The system moves very smoothly in a basic desktop use, it is possible to load a good number of tabs navigation without slowdowns. A PC totally valid for office, multimedia and that we can easily expand thanks to his hardware design.
- OS Version installed: Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Windows 11 compatible .
- Software pre-installed: None.
- Tutorials: Control the micro PC with your Smartphone / Install Windows 11 / Migrate Windows to SSD
Networks, Storage, RAM and Ports
In terms of network connectivity, the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U PC has a Wifi aC + BT 5.0 wireless adapter (Intel AC 3165) and a Gigabit Ethernet port (Realtek). The results in speed are quite good and we have a correct range.
- Network performance: Two internal Wifi antennas / Range 40 dBm / Link 5G 480 Mbps / Bluetooth OK.
We tested the storage speed of the NVMe disk installed by default and observed that it behaves normally. We also tested the 16 GB of DDR4 2400 MHz RAM that comes standard in Dual Channel configuration and as we see we offer good performance.
- USB ports: 1x USB 3.0 Type-C (data, NO power) / 4x USB 3.0
- Tutorials micro PC: Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to a SSD / Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks
Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U performance and thermals
In the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U mini PC we have installed an Intel Core i3-8109U processor manufactured in 14nm with two cores and four threads of execution that moves between 3 and 3.6 GHz and an Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU up to 1.05 MHz with 48 EU. This chip has a staggered consumption of 20/28 W TDP, the results are correct within this family of processors and as we can see it is only below in the multi-threaded section logically. A mini PC that works well for browsing, multimedia playback with KODI, office use and even with somewhat heavy applications.
- If you want to know some models in this comparative you can read their detailed reviews on this link.
Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U Benchmarks
As we can see in the performance tests of the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U it is fairly even in computing power with other dual core processors, in multi-threaded applications we will not have such good performance. The installed Intel Iris 655 GPU offers better performance with the basic Intel HD Graphics but is below the AMD Vega.
As for the thermal aspect the system keeps temperatures controlled with its quiet fan in normal desktop use and the fan system is not annoying, the 14nm are efficient, but are already outdated today. If we start playing demanding titles we do have a temperature increase and the fans are audible.
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Idle 5W / Basic use 12W / Max 25W.
- Thermal: Idle 46ºC / Basic use 54ºC / Maximum 62ºC / CPU 3.6 GHz max / Performance up to 100%.
- Gaming performance: Fortnite 77ºC / CPU 3.2 GHz on average.
- Noise: 31dBA Min – 48dBA Max / Audible in powerful games.
- Fans: NOT adjustable in BIOS.
We passed our performance test on games on the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U, we have some results are in line with this type of GPU integrated into the Ryzen, the Intel UHD Graphics GPU is suitable for games in 1080p or 720p quality depending on the 3D load, it is not suitable for heavy AAA games with a lot of 3D element. As for emulators at most we are left with some simple Wii titles and the like. If we are going to play games, Dual Channel RAM is a MUST.
- Setting: High quality / 1080p resolution / No VSync / Play emulators with RetoArch.
* On models with integrated Intel HD GPU on low and 720p resolution.
It is possible to play titles like LoL with a good frame rate, in more demanding games like Fornite with the graphics settings in performance mode is little playable because it reaches 30 fps but it is not very stable. If we are mainly interested in the Gaming section it is better to go for a PC with a discrete GPU, we will have a much smoother experience.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
In terms of video playback capability the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U PC has an integrated Vega 10 GPU which features a VPU with hardware support for HEVC and VP9 codecs and we do not have support for the modern AV1 video codec. In this processor has support for 10bit color and native HDR support by default. This PC is perfectly valid as a multimedia system to use KODI, IPTV or to use it with PLEX.
- Video outputs: 2x HDMI 1.4 4K@30fps / NO HDR / Adjust image quality in our TV.
- Audio outputs: HDMI up to 7.1 / Stereo audio jack / Multichannel audio on Windows.
- Tutorials: 4K videos with HEVC, VP9 , AV1 / Install KODI with add-ons / Auto refresh rate.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK (SW)|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip (SW)|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bit rate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or the limitations with our SAMBA Network.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Native||Dolby 5.1 – Plus / DTS 5.1 – Master Audio|
|Core||Dolby HD – Atmos / DTS HR – X|
- Native – Supports the format directly in our AV receiver or similar / More info.
- Core – Only the 5.1 core of the format is played so we go to the Dolby or DTS base system / More info.
- PCM – Only stereo downmixing from DD or DTS.
We check the streaming services with the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U micro PC, we pass some test for Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in FullHD or 4K quality.
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC for PC
|Streaming service||Video / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2160p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Netflix guide for PC|
|HBO Max||FullHD (1080p) / Estéreo / HBO Max guide for PC|
|Disney+||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Disney+ guide for PC|
|Prime Video||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Prime Video guide for PC|
|Apple TV+||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Apple TV+ Guide|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Stereo|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
Opinion about the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U
After testing the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U mini PC we can say that this is a mini PC with interesting features for home, multimedia and desktop use. Thanks to its Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU we have a little more graphics performance, two HDMI 1.4 video outputs and Gigabit Ethernet connector. This model has VESA support to hang it behind a screen and have it very discreetly in our office or living room.
The new mini PC Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U has a fast M.2 2280 NVMe disk and also allows us to increase the internal storage thanks to the possibility of adding a SATA 3 2.5″ disk. We also have 16 GB RAM memory and we have two SODIMM DDR4 available. With this configuration we can run Windows and other programs very smoothly. Overall an interesting mini PC for users who want a small and competent mini PC.
As we have tested the Beelink SEi8 i3-8109U is a small and sufficient computer for many daily uses. A product with quality components and design that allows us to assemble a desktop system or compact HTPC.