It seems that Netflix has decided to block the HD playback in TV-Boxes without an official license and now it shows an error NW-6-404 when starting the Netflix app. This content provider has simply turned off the tap to all the devices that have not gone through their official certification systems (with their corresponding fees) and since a few days this fateful error message appears that eliminates the option to view Netflix in HD quality. Let’s see what alternatives we have, what we can do and what future plans exist for a waited limitation that would arrive at some point.
ERROR MESSAGE NW-6-404
With this message Netflix gives us to understand that we do not comply with the certification specifications required by your service, if you ask directly to the official help service it says that it simply does not support non-certified TV-Boxes. Basically Netflix has its corporate and alliance interests with certified brands that has pushed him to cut HD playback on unofficial devices.
- We can read the error message code NW-6-404 on the Netflix website, makes reference their certified devices.
SYSTEMS AFFECTED AND SOLUTIONS
Currently all TV-Box that had support to watch Netflix in FullHD 1080p quality can no longer do it, basically it is the models of Mecool, Nexbox and similar that had DRM license Google Widevine L1. In these models using the Android TV system appears the error message NW-6-404 and can not play any kind of content, we can use that if the normal Android version in SD quality, as explained below.
- Android TV system: the official Netflix app for Android TV does not work and we have the error NW-6-404.
- Solution 1: we have a solution for some TV-Box using an app provided by the manufacturer.
- Solution 2: Use a modified Netflix app to view it in HD quality, we recommend not using this apps, you never know who may have modified the app and can use it to steal your access data, use it under your responsibility.
- Solution 3: you can use the classic Android Netflix apk for non-certified devices and see the service in SD quality.
- Solution 4: Switch TV-Box or jump to a mini PC to use an officially certified device to watch Netflix HD.
We will see what the future holds in this type of TV-Box, but it seems that we will not see support for Netflix HD, this company is so big that it does not need to increase the share of devices at the expense of allowing certain licenses endangering their alliances.
OTHER STREAMING SERVICE GUIDES
- Netflix in HD and 4K for Android, a small guide
- Fix error 0013 using Netflix on Android devices
- Netflix is already incompatible with Chinese TV-Boxes or Root devices, how to solve it
- Guide to Amazon Prime Video in HD
- Guide to Netflix in PC Windows or Linux
I just don’t understand these companies. I am paying for their services. They aren’t giving anything for free. I already unsubscribed from Amazon Prime on this shit as they say we can watch anywhere… although their definition of anywhere is a little narrow. The service just doesn’t work in my Android TV boxes. Now Netflix? I guess we have to go back to piracy.
This company have a lot of internal contracts with hardware manufacturers.
If you want a device for streaming without problems go to certificate device like Xiaomi Mi Box.