ACEPC AK7 is a new mini PC of which today we present in his review, a model with a rather peculiar golden design. This compact computer has a low-power Intel Celeron processor, integrates 4GB of RAM and has 64GB of internal storage eMMC, a device that has internal ventilation to keep temperatures at bay in high performance scenarios. Let’s see how it is defended in the following detailed analysis.
Table of Contents
The ACEPC AK7 mini PC has a basic design that stands out for its golden color, the upper part that looks like glass and has the logo of the brand. On the front we have a status LED, on one side we have the power button, microSD card reader and USB ports. In the back we have the other connectors where stands out the double HDMI 1.4 port that allows us to connect two monitors at once.
- Materials: Plastic.
- Interfaces: 2x USB 2.0 / 2x USB 3.0 / 2x HDMI 1.4 / microSD / Jack audio in-out
- Accessories: DC 12V 2.5A adapter / HDMI cable / Manual
In the lower area we find four tiny rubber legs to avoid slipping and we have ventilation slots only located on the sides. This mini PC does not have the option of hanging it on a VESA support.
System and user experience
We turn on the ACEPC AK7 by pressing the side button of the box, as indicated by the specifications we have Windows 10 Home 64bit properly activated, checking the list of devices we see that all have their drivers installed correctly. The Windows 10 Home system moves correctly in basic use if we are going to use it with a lot of navigation tabs is where we will notice that it slows down as is logical, for office suites and multimedia is enough.
- OS Version installed: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
- Software pre-installed: None.
- Tutorials mini PC: Control the mini PC with your Smartphone / Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to SSD
Support, BIOS and other OS
The ACEPC has its own website but we did not find information or drivers for this product. We can access the BIOS by pressing ESC, it has a classic AMI BIOS with many special options, a product that allows us to set on with the internal clock, we recommend not to touch the BIOS a lot because we can leave the system frozen.
This model is fully compatible with Ubuntu, we can check it from a USB boot drive, all the devices are detected and we can use the hardware without problems. LibreELEC is also compatible.
Storage, RAM and Ports
We passed eMMC 5.1 storage speed tests installed by default, we also tested the 4GB of RAM that comes standard in Dual Channel configuration, we also check the speed and functionality of its ports.
- USB ports: Two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0.
We check the speed of the integrated eMMc memory and it gives us some pretty good performance figures within that category, we do not have the option of expansion with another type of internal storage.
We have installed a module of 4 GB of RAM LPDDR3 in Dual Channel format, curiously all the analysis programs indicate that they work at 1333MHz but the results are much higher.
Electric consumption, temperature and noise
Checking the consumption on the ACEPC AK7 we can see performance of the Intel Celeron J3455 processor with 10W TDP it has low figures as usual in these models and we can see that we remain at a contained level even in the highest performance scenarios.
We perform our thermal and acoustic tests on the ACEPC AK7 Mini PC, as we have verified the ventilation system works fine but it is noisy, the internal fan works in a semi-passive way but it turns on quite fast if we pass the 52ºC, is annoying if we have it close by, browsing or watching multimedia should not be working.
- Measuring temperature: 25ºC
- Noise: Min. rpm = 0 db / Max. rpm = 40 db
In our review we make several types of tests to check the performance in each use scenario, with this data we can make an idea of the overall real performance that the system will have during its working life.
- Continuous extreme performance: 56ºC Max. / CPU 1.54 GHz / NO thermal throlling and NO limited CPU
- Overclock: Available but we do not recommend touching the BIOS.
- Performance in games: LOL 52ºC / CPU 1.6 GHz average
- External temperature: 30ºC on a side
Wifi, Ethernet and Bluetooth
Inside the mini PC ACEPC AK7 has installed a wireless adapter Wifi 3165D AC de Dual Band with Bluetooth with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speeds for this network adapters.
- Scope Wifi: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 43 dBm, a very poor result.
- Bluetooth: Works correctly and connects without problems
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC
The ACEPC AK7 mini PC integrates an Intel Celeron J3455 processor with four cores and four threads that moves between 1.5 and 2.3 GHz and an Intel HD Graphics 500 GPU up to 750 MHz with 12 EU. This chip has a maximum consumption of 10W TDP, the results are correct within an Apollo Lake processor, as we see it is at the level of more modern models with similar consumption. A correct processor to navigate, multimedia playback with KODI or use of office automation at user level.
Performing our benchmark test in games on the ACEPC AK7 we can see the results, the values are classic in line with this type of product of this type, the Intel HD Graphics GPU 500 is perfectly valid for simple games such as we can find in Android phones by downloading them from the Microsoft Store. Also indie titles in 2D or current games with light 3D load like LOL, the emulators are also feasible but at the most we stayed in some simple Wii titles.
- GTA V / Overwath / Fortnite, low settings, 720p resolution and no VSync.
- LOL / CS:GO, ow settings, 1080p resolution and no VSync.
*On models with powerful discrete GPU settings in medium and 1080p resolution
With the ACEPC AK7 we have performed a performance test with the game League of legends (LOL) which is quite light and we can play at 25fps, DOTA 2 is more demanding and we usually have 10fps less. We also do a special test with CS:GO and we see that we stay at 14fps in 1080p, only if we lower the resolution to 720p we can play minimally at 21fps but it is not recommended.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
Video playback test
Testing the video playback in the ACEPC AK7 mini PC with the integrated IIntel HD Graphics 600 we use the VPU with hardware support for the HEVC codec and for basic VP9, in this processor we have support for 10bit color video and also HDR although we can reproduce it in basic color quality since Gemini Lake does not have HDR with native support. This mini PC is perfectly valid as a multimedia system to use KODI or PLEX.
- Devices: Double monitor with HDMI 1.4a 4K@30fps.
- Image settings: Image quality settings available from Intel control panel.
- Tutorials: Playback 4K videos with HEVC and VP9 seamlessly / Install KODI with add-ons / LibreELEC operating system for PC
|H.264 / VC-1||Result|
|BBB – H.264 8bit – Simple@L1 – 1080p@25fps – 7 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung Oceanic Life – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 1080p@30fps – 40 Mbps||Correct|
|Timelapse – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 4K@24fps – 43 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – H.264 10bit – High 10@L5.1 – 1080p@24fps – 10 Mbps||Correct|
|MKV – VC-1 – Advance@L3 – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 SDR|
|Tears of steel – HEVC 8bit – Main@L6.2@Main – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung UHD Dubai – HEVC 10bit – Main 10@L5.2@Main – 4K@24fps – 51 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – HEVC 10bit – Main 10@L4@Main – 1080p@24fps – 21 Mbps||Correct|
|Eye of the Storm – VP9 – 4K@24fps – 14 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 HDR|
|Life of Pi HDR10 – HEVC 10bit – Main 10@L5.1@High – 4K@24fps – 45 Mbps||Correct|
|LG Demo – Dolby Vision – HEVC 12bit – Main 10@L5@Main – 4K@24fps – 30 Mbps||Correct|
|Planet Earth II – HDR HLG 10bit – Main 10@L5@High – 4K@25fps – 31 Mbps||Little frameskip|
|The world in HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 4K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Peru 8K HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 8K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Jellyfish – HEVC 10bit – Main 10@L6.1@High – 4K@30fps – Test up to 400 Mbps||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bitrate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or wifi used, we have used the fastest available, see Hardware tests section of this same review to have more information and have consider the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
Testing the ACEPC AK7 using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that the miniPC supports DD and DTS 7.1 pass through, is curious because the default hardware only supports stereo and does not have licenses for DD or DTS formats. We recommend, as always, to update all the drivers with Windows Update to the latest before connecting the device to our AV receiver.
- Devices: HDMI with Intel HD audio up to 7.1 / Audio jack with Realtek up to stereo / No integrated microphone
- Configuration tutorial: Basic concepts and configuration for multichannel audio on Windows and Android
Audio test results
|Format||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||OK / OK||OK / OK||OK / Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
We perform performance tests on the ACEPC AK7 mini PC in the most popular streaming services such as Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in HD or 4K quality
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Add-on for Chrome to force h.264 if we have problems with VP9.
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||4K60 (2060p) / 5.1||OK||–|
|Netflix||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1||OK||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video on Android|
As we have seen the ACEPC AK7 is a classic low cost mini PC, stands out for its goldie design and for including internal fan. A device that can be valid for a basic desktop use if we are not going to use heavy apps or surf intensively. This model does not have expansion options so we are left with the 4GB of RAM installed and the 64GB of eMMC 5.1 storage memory that behaves correctly.
The mini PC ACEPC AK7 has an internal fan that keeps temperatures at bay but when it is put into operation is annoying if we have it close. The Wifi ac adapter behaves normally and we have a Gigabit Ethernet adapter, the system BIOS is quite complete although we recommend not to touch it much. We also have several USB ports and dual HDMI output to connect two monitors at once.
The ACEPC AK7 model as we see a correct device but does not excel at all, a basic computer for desktop use or multimedia playback. As an alternative you can compare this product with our recommended models.
WHERE TO BUY