AMD Athlon 3000G is the new low cost APU of AMD that we present today in our review. A product that comes to replace the previous AMD Athlon 200GE model with higher clock speeds and Overclock option. This processor for computers with a tight budget allows us to set up a system to work on the desktop, surf the internet, play 4K HDR videos and play lightly titles with a certain level of demand as we will see. Let’s see how this device behaves in our usual review.
PRODUCT DETAILS AND SETUP
|AMD Athlon 3000G||AMD Athlon 200GE||AMD Ryzen 3 3200G||AMD Ryzen 5 3400G|
|Cores||Zen+ 14nm FinFET||Zen 14nm FinFET||Zen+ 12nm||Zen+ 12nm|
|Cores / Threads||2/4||2/4||4/4||4/8|
|Base||3.5 GHz||3.2 GHz||3.6 GHz||3.7 GHz|
|Turbo||–||–||4.0 GHz||4.2 GHz|
|RAM / Channels||DDR4-2677 / 2CH||DDR4-2677 / 2CH||DDR4-2933 / 2CH||DDR4-2933 / 2CH|
|GPU||Vega 3||Vega 3||Vega 8||Vega 11|
|GPU cores||192 SPs||192 SPs||512 SPs||704 SPs|
|GPU Clock||1100 MHz||1000 MHz||1250 MHz||1400 MHz|
|TDP||35W||35W||65W (cTDP 45W)||65W (cTDP 45W)|
|Fan||–||–||Wraith Stealth||Wraith Spire|
The main difference between this new AMD Athlon 3000G APU with the previous AMD Athlon 200GE model is the increase in clock speeds in its CPUs and also in the integrated Vega GPU. In addition, this model has the Overclock option unlocked so we can get some more performance for the same price.
In this processor we have a consumption of only 35W TDP which allows us to use it perfectly with PicoPSU transformers in very small boxes and even design a system with fanless cooling, something we already saw in the Athlon 200GE model with a review of the ARCTIC cooling system Alpine AM4.
We connect all the components of the test platform of the new AMD Athlon 3000G APU without complications, as we have seen the Socket is still the AM4 but we must bear in mind that we must have an updated BIOS before installing the processor. The RAM if we are going to focus on games has to be as fast as possible since the integrated Vega GPU will make use of it.
To assemble the set we have opted for the following elements:
|Processor||AMD Athlon 3000G||$57 (53€)|
|Motherboard||ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/AC||$105 (122€)|
|Case||mini-ITX Aluminium case||$51 (40€)|
|RAM||Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666MHz (8 GB x2 SODIMM)||$64 (43€)|
|Power||PicoPSU Z4-ATX-200 19V 200W + Power source 19V 4,74A 90W||$47 (40€)|
|Cooler||Noctua NH-L9a-AM4, details in our Review (Optional)||$40 (41€)|
|Storage||PNY XLR8 CS3030 NVMe M.2 500GB + PCIe NVMe adapter||$93 (109€)|
System and user experience
We boot the AMD Athlon 3000G in our test hardware with the Windows 10 Home 64bit system, we do not have the slightest detection problem with the ASRock board that is already correctly updated at the BIOS level. The user environment moves smoothly and we can run the applications without problems, we can play any type of 1080p or 4K video and running design applications up to a certain point of complexity in the projects as is logical.
- Test system: Windows 10 Home v1903 / Version 1809 minimum required.
- Tutorials: Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to SSD / Control the mini PC with your Smartphone
Support and other operating systems
From the AMD website we can download the necessary drivers for the Radeon Vega chipset and GPU, this APU uses the normal drivers that AMD is updating, luckily, something that does not happen with the integrated solutions for laptops as we have seen in our review of a HP Envy x360 notebook with Ryzen 5 2500U.
As for connectivity, the AMD Athlon 3000G platform allows us to mount memory in Dual Channel configuration, for tests we urge a total of 8GB with reference Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2666MHz (4 GB x2 SODIMM) maximum 3200MHz with OC, it is recommended that it be a memory with support of OC XMP profiles. We also pass NVMe storage speed tests with our own PNY XLR8 CS3030 disk and observe that it behaves normally reaching its maximum speed.
- Storage options: PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA 3
- Tutorial: Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks
Processor, performance and thermal
The AMD Athlon 3000G model is a Dual core with Four wires that reaches up to 3.5 GHz, this processor made at 14nm has a Radeon Vega 3 GPU with a maximum speed of 1.1GHz. The overall performance is excellent, we must bear in mind that we are before a processor with a consumption of only 35W TPD for a price of only $57 (€53), certainly a rival for Intel’s low-end models. A product that for price and performance as we see leaves enough evidence to the Intel Pentium G5400 that has a similar price.
- If you want to know some of the models in this comparative you can read their detailed reviews on this link.
At the Overclock level in our team we have been able to reach 3.7GHz with stability and there has been some improvement in performance, the thermal at all times remain very low and we do not have to fear for that aspect.
- Consumption: Standby 26W / Basic use 32W / Maximum 54W.
- Thermals: Standby 26ºC / Basic use 32ºC / Maximum 40ºC / CPU 3.5GHz max. / Maintains performance up to 100%.
- Game performance: Fortnite 38ºC Base – 44ºC with OC / CPU 3 GHz on average – 3.7GHz with OC.
- Overclock: YES available / Configurable from BIOS or Ryzen Master.
We perform our game performance tests on the AMD Athlon 3000G which thanks to its Radeon Vega 3 GPU offers us pretty good performance in many titles that are totally impossible to play in Intel processors with integrated HD Graphics GPU. As we can see in the results we can in the most powerful titles we can arrive at correct figures if we stay in 720p resolutions, in the simplest titles we can use 1080p without problems, emulators are also feasible but at most we stay in some simple titles of Wii.
- GTA V / Overwatch / Fortnite / PUBG Lite: low settings, 720p* resolution and No VSync./ PUBG Lite configuration tutorial.
- LOL / CS:GO: low settings, 1080p resolution and No VSync.
*On models with powerful discrete GPU settings in medium and 1080p resolution
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
At the level of video playback, the AMD Athlon 3000G mini PC makes exclusive use of its Radeon Vega 3 GPU that has a VPU that has hardware support for the HVEC and VP9 codec, in this processor we have support for 10bit video color, we also have HDR support although on our screen we have had to try several settings until we reach the appropriate screen mode to activate this function in Windows. Performance with advanced video formats may vary between KODI and the Windows default player, usually KODI is better.
- Video output: HDMI 2.0b / Max 4K@60fps / Adjust image quality in our TV.
- Audio output: HDMI with Intel HD audio up to 7.1 / Audio jack stereo / Without integrated microphone.
- Tutorials: Playback 4K videos with HEVC and VP9 seamlessly / Install KODI with add-ons / Judder effect (auto refresh rate)
- Configuration tutorial: Basic concepts and configuration for multichannel audio on Windows and Android
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK (SW)|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bitrate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or the limitations with our SAMBA Network.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Format||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In the streaming aspect the AMD Athlon 3000G with the most popular streaming services we pass some test for Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in HD or 4K quality.
- NOTE: The actual drivers do not allow us to watch Netflix 4K, they are sure to be corrected in the future as in the rest of Ryzen.
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC for PC
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||4K (2160p) / 5.1||OK||–|
|Netflix||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1||OK||Netflix for PC|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||HBO for PC|
|Amazon Prime Video||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video for PC|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
After analyzing the AMD Athlon 3000G we can say that we are facing a very continuist product compared to the previous AMD Athlon 200GE, in this new product we have a small increase in power and the possibility of performing Overclock although the maximum performance has its limits. With this processor we can mount a small computer valid both for playing in low settings with some AAA titles and less demanding titles with acceptable graphic performance, for office work, browsing or playback of 4K HDR video is also perfectly valid.
The AMD Athlon 3000G processor maintains low temperatures thanks to its 35W TPD consumption and as we saw it is possible to mount a fanless system with this platform perfectly. At the level of connectivity and peripherals we can mount any storage system easily taking out its maximum performance.
In short, the AMD Athlon 3000G is an interesting option with reduced price and more powerful graphics than Intel, a suitable base for mounting mini PCs for desktop use, video/image and game editing or even 4K HDR video.
Where to buy
- As an alternative you can compare this product with our recommended models.
Can I stream with this?
i’d like to know if this processor works with a VGA monitor. Thanks
Hi. If the motherboard have VGA video output, yes.