Table of Contents
The MECOOL K7 comes in a standard cardboard box with the logo of the model on the top, inside we found the TV-Box, the IR remote control, HDMI cable 4K@60fps compatible, Manual, external antenna and a classic DC 12V 1A adapter.
The box of the MECOOL K7 is made of plastic and has a design where only the front LED display stands out with the time and the active channel in blue. On the sides and in the back area we have all the connectors in a classic configuration, the IR remote control has shortcut keys for the functions of the tuners and Android controls. Inside the AV jack we have the update button in case it is necessary to update the firmware, the update port is USB 2.0. On the motherboard we can see the Wifi ac 2×2 MIMO + Bluetooth 4.2 (MTK7668RSN) chip that has an external and internal Wi-Fi antenna.
- Remote Control: Basic IR control / No microphone / No Flymouse / We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: Maybe we can control remotely using the app Cetusplay.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the MECOOL K7 to the current and boots the default launcher based on shortcuts, we can customize the middle row by adding shortcut icons to the apps we want. In the installed apps TV Center stands out which is KODI and DTV to use the tuners. The performance of Android 9 is very good at desktop level or with basic apps and works well without forced closures of classic apps.
- Launcher: We can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / NOT lower or notification bars.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 (32 bit) / The system IS root by default / NO menu to deactivate it in settings.
- Support: This box don’t have website for direct support / Firmware available, NO OTA / Custom firmware not available
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The MECOOL K7 TV-Box has eMMC memory as internal storage, has a USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section you have a Wifi ac 2×2 MIMO + Bluetooth 4.2 (MTK7668RSN) and Ethernet Gigabit port connector. As we can see in the tests the results are good, we have a high Wifi speed and a fast internal memory.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB memory stick.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / LPDDR4.
- Network: Good speed with one internal + external wifi antenna / Range 34 dBm, good. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||22/17 MB/s||110/36 MB/s||18/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At the power level the MECOOL K7 has with the Amlogic S905X2 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and in the graphic section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU that is in the mid / low range. This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly controlled power consumption and temperatures are low if we demand performance in powerful games. The case could be better with more vent holes, we recommend turning it upside down with the grilles facing up to facilitate the release of hot air if we want to improve ventilation.
- Check our Amlogic S905X2 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Standby 6W / Basic use 9.5W / Maximum 11W
- Thermals: Minimum 40ºC / Maximum 73ºC / Maintains performance up to 91% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In the video playback area the MECOOL K7 features the Amlogic S905X2 SoC and a VPU Amlogic TruLife Gen8 compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with 4K HDR native resolution support and features an app for quality settings of video. We can use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem, the system comes by default with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend uninstalling. At the audio level we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI port. Check our Amlogic S905X2 SoC Comparison against all SoCs to see more details about A/V aspects of this SoC.
- Video Settings: NO image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available / Automatic refresh rate with root + AFRd.
- Audio Settings: HDMI or SPDIF up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA YES / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model can be compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||Frameskip|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK (SW)|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we see how the most popular services work. The MECOOL K7 presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily it seems that if it is compatible with most services even if they are in their most basic SD quality
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk and needs a mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||HBO on Android|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
Start-up and management
The TV-Box MECOOL K7 have installed DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and DVB-C tuners, to manage and view content we have the DTV app, a very simple to use app that guides us throughout the process of putting March. When starting it, an installation assistant is shown where we select the system that we want to configure.
- Installation: Complete configuration of DVB-S2 satellites and zones for DVB-T2 / C.
- DVT Preferences: Management of PVR recordings, child control, network, A / V, EPG and favorites settings.
- EPG: control of the EPG grid, programming from the grid, access by key on the remote control.
- Channel manager: Channel management, favorites and recording schedule.
At the swap level between the different channels we have a good speed and we can access all the functions in a fluid way, the EPG list is updated normally. Within the list we can control our favorite channels to access quickly, we can not sort by channel number directly.
- Channel management: Live list, EPG, Favorites and manager to schedule recordings.
Image and audio quality
We verify that at the reproduction level we have an excellent image quality and without jumps even in the 4K channels, the system is compatible with AC3 audio and we can listen to the content of those channels. From the app we can also record the playback content of the broadcast in its original quality up to 4K.
- Image and audio quality: Up to 4K in playback and recording / Supports AC3 sound.
As usual in these devices we always have an option to activate servers that give us access to several services, in this case it is necessary to enter a code in the DTV app menu to see the extra options.
- Within the Installation menu we must press six times 1 (111111) to display the Smart Data Manager menu.
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
After analyzing the MECOOL K7 we can say that we are facing the direct successor of the classics KII or KIII Pro, a Box that is updated with the Amlogic S905X2 SoC. A device with enough hardware for multimedia use with players like KODI up to 4K, IPTV or to manage its three tuners. The Android 9 installed system behaves normally and runs smoothly thanks to the 4GB of RAM installed although the firmware still has things to polish and has room for improvement.
At the level of WiFi connectivity the MECOOL K7 is quite good thanks to its Wifi aC adapter with two antennas and the internal storage is also very fast. As for power we can play titles like PUBG in medium settings. The included remote control is very simple and can be used for basic apps like KODI or to control the TV app. The box is somewhat closed for a TV-Box with tuners and we recommend turning it upside down if we are going to use it intensively, even in normal position does not overheat thanks to the S905X2 SoC made in 12nm.
In short, the MECOOL K7 is a good TV-Box with tuners that takes the lead over previous models, also for sure it has an interesting future ahead with LibreELEC and custom Roms in no time.
Where to buy
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.