MINIX NEO Storage is the new HUB with integrated SSD disk of which we present today his review, a product of the MINIX brand designed especially for Macbook computers, although it is also compatible with any device that has a USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port under Windows or Android. A device with the careful design of MINIX that we saw in other HUBs of the same type and that allows us to considerably expand the connection capabilities of any laptop. Let’s see how it is defended in our review.
Table of Contents
These USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 peripheral connection cables offer us the possibility of using our peripherals in any type of device that supports this standard connector USB Type-C, we can transmit data, video or audio with the same connector. In addition the connector is reversible with what we can connect without looking always right. The basic specifications of these cables are those that we can see in the following table.
Within the USB Type-C standard we have multiple forms of connection that allow us to perform other functions in addition to conventional data loading and transfer, the so-called Alternate mode. With these modes we can transmit different protocols by the same connector or add more information, all this means that the maximum bandwidth is distributed accordingly.
|Model||MINIX NEO Storage|
|Basic specs||Main connector USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C
1x HDMI 1.4
2x USB 3.0 Type-A
1x USB Type-C (charge)
1x integrated M.2 SSD 120 o 240 GB
This new HUB MINIX NEO Storage has a fairly conventional design within this range of products and as we see has a fairly short cable to connect to our device since the design is focused on using it with our laptop next door. The main box is aluminum on top to help dissipate the heat generated, on one side we have all available connectors and inside the M.2 SSD disk is housed. It is available in silver gray and dark gray.
On one side we have HDMI 1.4 output that allow us to connect a secondary screen cloning the image, next we have two USB 3.0 Type-A ports to connect peripherals. Lastly we have a USB Type-C charging port that allows us to power our laptop while using the HUB.
- USB power
– If we do not have connected the Macbook charger we have a total power of USB 5V/1A
– If we have connected the Macbook charger we have a total power of USB 5V/2A
– The load power through the USB ports is limited to 5V/500mA
We open the MINIX NEO Storage to see how the SSD is assembled, as we see in one of the sides we have a MINIX S1 120GB or MINIX S2 240GB disk in M.2 2280 format and the whole set is closed by the box aluminum.
We test several devices to check their compatibility, this model is only 100% certified to work with models Apple MacBook, Apple MacBook Air and Apple MacBook Pro but can work well with other compatible devices.
- Mac: This model is 100% compatible with Apple MacBook, Apple MacBook Air and Apple MacBook Pro.
- PC: We have tested on a PC with USB 3.1 Gen2 controller and all the features have worked without problems.
- Android: We were surprised to connect it to an Android phone like the LG G7 and see that it works perfectly in all its functions, both storage and USB ports and HDMI output in mirror mode. Also compatible with Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, P30 and Samsung S9, S10, S10+ and Note 9.
We test all the ports of this HUB to see the real performance that we get when connecting peripherals and as we see in the results the values are correct if we use a suitable controller.
- USB 3.0: Proper protocol speeds and peripheral detection without problems.
- HDMI: HDMI 1.4 output compatible up to 4K@30fps in cloning mode.
- SSD Disk: The MINIX NEO S1 units with 120GB and MINIX NEO S2 with 240GB comply with the speed indicated in the specifications correctly.
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
As always the brand MINIX offers us with its new MINIX NEO Storage an interesting device if we have a laptop that has a USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C port and we want to get the maximum performance. With no doubt can fit with a Apple MacBook, Apple MacBook Air and Apple MacBook Pro that are designed with very few ports, but as we have seen, it can also work with PC or Android if they have the right port.
At the level of finishes and design the MINIX NEO Storage has his usual brand quality and is quite well designed which makes it fit statically with any device. The addition of an M.2 SSD disk gives an interesting plus because as we can see we can use it almost as a high speed disk, certainly much faster than any conventional USB memory. In general, an interesting device for which you have a compatible device and want to have many more connectivity options.