The X96H comes in a standard cardboard box with the logo of the device, inside we found the TV-Box, the IR remote control, HDMI cable 4K60fps compatible, Manual and a classic DC 5V 2A adapter.
The X96H box is made of plastic and has a box design where it only stands out for the frontal display with the time in blue. On the sides and in the rear area we have all the connectors, as a novelty we have an HDMI input port. Inside the AV jack we have the update button if necessary. On the motherboard we can see the Wifi chip b g/n and a single internal wifi antenna.
- Remote Control: Included a Flymouse remote with mic for basic functionalities. We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: We can control remotely using the app Cetusplay / Don’t have its own remote control app.
- HDMI input: Only switches between the video signal of the TV-Box and that of another device, only activable from the remote control.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the X96H to the current and boots the default launcher based on squares, we can customize the lower area by adding shortcut icons to the apps we want. In the installed apps, KD Player stands out, which is KODI and Miracast for screen sharing. The performance of Android 9 is correct at desktop level or with basic apps and works well without forced closures of classic apps.
- Launcher: We can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 720p.
- Multitasking and access: No multitasking from the remote o screen / No lower or upper Android bar.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 (32 bit) / The system IS root by default / NO menu to deactivate it in settings.
- Support: H96 don’t have website for direct support / Firmware not available / Custom firmware not available
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The X96H TV-Box has eMMC memory as internal storage, has a USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section you have a Wifi b/g/n – No BT (XR819) and 10/100 Ethernet port connector.
- Storage: Total 16GB expandable with a USB memory stick / NTFS + exFAT compatible.
- RAM: Total 2GB – Free 1GB / DDR3.
- Network: Basic speed with one external wifi antenna / Range 46dBm, basic. / Bluetooth ok.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||22/17 MB/s||110/36 MB/s||18/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At the power level the X96H has with the Allwinner H603 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and in the graphic section a Mali-T720 MP2 GPU that is in the mid / low range. This SoC is manufactured in 28nm, has a moderate consumption and temperatures are high if we demand performance in powerful games. This TV-Box is NOT suitable for playing games because of the high temperatures it reaches but we can use it for multimedia perfectly.
- Consumption: Off 2.3W / Standby 4W / Basic use 5W / Maximum 7.8W
- Thermals: Minimum 53ºC / Maximum 80ºC / Maintains performance up to 68% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Games and emulators: IS NOT possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In terms of video playback, the X96H features the Allwinner H603 SoC and a VPU compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with 4K HDR native resolution support and features an app for quality settings of video. We can use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem, the system comes by default with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend uninstalling. At the audio level we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI port.
- Video Settings: Image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available / NO automatic refresh.
- Audio Settings: HDMI up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast YES / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay with Airscreen.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Low Frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Not compatible|
|Max. Bitrate||60 Mbps = 7,5 MB/s|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we see how the most popular services work. The X96H presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily it seems that if it is compatible with most services even if they are in their most basic SD quality
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk and needs a mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
As we have seen, the X96H TV-Box with the new Allwinner H603 SoC assembles enough hardware for normal multimedia use using it with players such as KODI up to 4K or IPTV. The Android 9 installed system behaves normally and we do not have forced closures although the environment is rendered only at 720p.
At the hardware level in the 2GB model the Wifi adapter is basic, in terms of power we can play titles like PUBG in low settings but this TV-Box gets too hot when used with demanding apps. The included remote control is also very basic and only ca work for simple apps, its only novelty the HDMI input port, but does not contribute more than the option for connect and see another external device, it does not allow recording.
In short, the X96H is a TV-Box for a basic use that does not stand out in anything in particular, the only notable surprise has been that an OTA update has come to us although we have not noticed improvements with respect to the original firmware.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.