Table of Contents
|Model||Xiaomi Mi Pad 4|
|Basic Specs||SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa core / Adreno 512 GPU
8x Kyro 260 / 4x 1.84GHz / 4x 2.21GHz
System: MIUI 9.6 (Based on Android 8.1 64bit)
Memories: 3/4 GB DDR3 – 32/64 GB eMMC / (4 / 64GB in the review)
Display: 8 “/ 1920 x 1080/16: 9
Network: Wifi ac / BT 5.0
Cameras: Front 5MP / Rear 13MP
Connections: USB Type-C, Audio jack and microSD
|[button link=”https://androidpctv.com/go/1e” target=”new”]Check full specifications[/button]|
The tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 has a unibody metal body and the screen is coated in glass. The front has very narrow frames on the sides, a model that reflects quality in its finishes and follows the line of this brand for its tablets.
- Measurements and weight: 7.88 x 4.74 x 0.31 inches (200 x 120 x 7.9 mm) / 0.75 lb (342 gr)
- Materials: Front glass, plastic and unibody aluminum body. Integrated magnetic closure.
- Interfaces: 2 Microphones, Speakers, Volume, Power, audio jack, microSD, and USB Type-C charge and data.
- Cameras: Rear 13 MP / Front 5MP.
- Speakers and microphone: Two in stereo with high volume with little distortion. Correct microphones.
- Vibration and LEDs: No vibration. Without LEDs.
The screen of the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 looks very well indoors and defends itself correctly in outdoor, as we chec this is a correct product for domestic use that has a good image quality in that area.
- Size: IPS OGS 8″ Inches, resolution 1920 x 1080 and 16: 9 format.
- Light power: Automatic brightness. Contrast 1200: 1. No leakage of light on the sides.
- Viewing angles: Good IPS angles.
- Tactile precision: High precision and sensitivity.
- Extras: Read mode, double touch to activate screen, color adjustment and contrast.
The cameras of the tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 are quite good within the sector of the tablets although we found very few options in the settings to improve their performance. The front camera has a facial unlock that works quite well.
- Rear camera: Sensor with 13 MP resolution with HDR mode that captures colors correctly.
- Front camera: 5MP sensor. Correct performance.
Environment and user experience
We turn on the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 tablet and we check that we have MIUI 9.6 that will be updated to MIUI 10 in the future. The system moves with agility and we can use any app without problems thanks to its powerful Hexa core Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC. We can activate the classic control schema with Android buttons or control the system using gestures which we recommend because it is quite comfortable and we gain useful screen space.
- Installed apps: Xiaomi Apps, camera, calendar, video recorder and audio.
- Languages: Chinese and English.
- Multitasking: Multitask app change and split screen.
- Root: The system is NOT root.
System, support and store apps
If we enter the Android settings of the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 we can see that we have the classic settings of MIUI, we have a very personalized system that moves away from the classic Android environment.
- System version: MIUI 9.6 (based on Android 8.1 64bit) / Kernel 4.4.78
- Store apps: We only have the Xiaomi store by default, but we can easily install Google Play by following our guide.
- Brand support: Xiaomi updates its system through OTA.
Storage and RAM Memory
We perform our usual memory tests and internal storage in the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 using the SD bench app. Internal storage can NOT be expanded using the included microSD card reader, something trimmed by MIUI. The results of internal storage are very good as you can see in the graphs.
- Storage: Total 64GB / Free 50GB
- RAM: Total 4 GB DDR3L / Free 3.1 GB
- microSD: Speeds of 39 MB/s reading / 15 MB/s writing. Not compatible with NTFS.
- USB Type-C: Only to connect to the PC or charge, it does not detect USB drives or peripherals.
Battery and temperature
Inside in the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 we have a 6000 mAh battery, the autonomy is correct if we do not demand high performance to the CPU with the brightness of the screen in between, if we play powerful games the battery drops quickly.
- Battery recharge: Charging at 5V 2A, not fast charging, it can take up to about 4 hours.
- Idle: Connected to the Wifi and without using it can last about 10 days.
We check the performance of the tablet in scenarios of maximum sustained performance and in its usual use, we use a stress app for fifteen minutes and thermal camera to detect hot areas.
- Thermal throttle: The system maintains a maximum performance of 73%, there is appreciable loss.
- Temperature: The rear part is heated at one zone where the SoC is located but have low temperatures.
WIFI and Bluetooth
In Wi-Fi connections, the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 tablet has a Wi-Fi ac Dual Band wireless adapter with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speeds for this type of adapters.
- Wifi Scope: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 46 dBm, a very poor result.
- Bluetooth: Works correctly and connects without problems.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Sensors, modem, radio and GPS
Integrated in the tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 we only have gyroscope, accelerometer and light sensor to adjust the brightness automatically. We do not have GPS, modem or other installed systems, for that we have to buy the 4G-LTE model.
- Location: Not available.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope and light sensor.
In terms of performance, the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 has excellent results thanks to the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC and the power of the Adreno 512 GPU. If we compare the results, we can see how it basically surpasses all its competitors at all levels except the expensive Kirin 960 which remains the leader in its sector-
Games and gamepads
The tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC integrates the powerful Adreno 512 GPU allows us to move 99% of Google Play titles without performance problems and good compatibility. We have done a long test with PUBG and we can say that it moves with fluidity in all the setups although we recommend the medium quality setting.
- Compatibility: It is possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG with slight frame skips, the battery drains quickly.
- Controls: Compatible with Bluetooth Gamepads.
Test video files
We performed our video playback tests on the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 tablet, a model that features the Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC that integrates an Adreno 512 GPU with support in its VPU for video playback up to 4K@60fps in the graphic section. Overall performance is correct although in powerful VP9 formats have frameskips.
- Compatibility: VP9 and HVEC, problems with some VP9 files with high bitrate.
- You can read our Tutorial to install Addons in KODI in a simple way to get to watch the most popular streamings.
|BBB – H.264 8bit – Simple@L1 – 1080p@25fps – 7 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung Oceanic Life – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 1080p@30fps – 40 Mbps||Correct|
|Timelapse – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 4K@24fps – 43 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – H.264 10bit – High 10@L5.1 – 1080p@24fps – 10 Mbps||Correct|
|Tears of steel – HVEC 8bit – Main@L6.2@Main – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung UHD Dubai – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.2@Main – 4K@24fps – 51 Mbps||Correct|
|Jellyfish – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L6.1@High – 4K@30fps – 392 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Anime – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L4@Main – 1080p@24fps – 21 Mbps||Correct|
|Life of Pi HDR10 – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.1@High – 4K@24fps – 45 Mbps||Correct|
|LG Demo – Dolby Vision – HVEC 12bit – Main 10@L5@Main – 4K@24fps – 30 Mbps||Correct|
|Planet Earth II – HDR HLG 10bit – Main 10@L5@High – 4K@25fps – 31 Mbps||Low Frameskip|
|The world in HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 4K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Peru 8K HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 8K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
We pass the classic tests on streaming services using the tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4, we check that those that work do it correctly, this model only has DRM certificate Microsoft Widevine L3. Consult our guides where we explain in detail all the most known streaming services, how to configure them and see content in HD or 4K quality if possible.
- NOTE: We remind this product do not have official support for these streaming apps, the compatibility with these services can vary depends of any new limitations imposed for this companies. The tests are perform with the indicated firmware and the version of the streaming app at the date of the review.
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Netflix on Android|
|HBO Nordic||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||Some frameskips||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video on Android|
As we have seen in our review of the tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 we are facing one of the most interesting tablets in the sector thanks to its Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC and the level of finishes of this model. We must highlight the quality of the IPS OGS screen, a construction that gives it a solid appearance, very reduced side frames and the unibody metallic body transmits good vibrations in daily use. On the other hand the internal components are also at a very good level as the fast internal memory and good network performance, all this accompanied by a support from Xiaomi quite active via OTA.
On the other hand the tablet Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 has some weak point as it is that we only have it in English and Chinese since it does not have international firmware, on the other hand we can not expand the internal storage with an SD since MIUI limits it and It should also be noted that the USB Type-C connector is limited to connect peripherals and has no video output. In any case we are facing one of the most interesting current tablets as it has a powerful processor and extraordinary autonomy, something that is key to using it comfortably. In short, a highly recommended product that will give you a very good user experience.
WHERE TO BUY