Intel has officially unveiled its new Intel Core processors with Intel Hybrid Technology and the code name “Lakefield”. This is the first generation of processors based on the layered manufacturing process called Foveros 3D, technology with which Intel can compete in size and consumption with its ARM rivals, introducing itself in low-consumption formats such as laptops like the recent Samsung Galaxy Book S.
One of the advantages of Lakefield is the possibility of having smaller PC boards thanks to the Foveros 3D system and its vertical layering system. We have in the same package a Hybrid CPU design (big.LITTLE) that integrates a Sunny Cove Core CPU made in 10nm with Tremont cores. In this small processor of only 1mm thickness thanks to Foveros, a powerful Gen 11 GPU is also integrated with a performance that theoretically doubles the current Gen 9.
In this presentation, the first processors and the key characteristics of the first Intel Lakefield processors with Foveros technology have been revealed, these are the Intel Core i5-L16G7 and the Intel Core i3-L13G4, two pentacore models with a consumption of only 7W TPD. Without a doubt some very interesting products that we hope to try at some point.
- Smallest package size, enabled by Foveros: With Foveros 3D stacking technology, processors achieve a dramatic reduction in package area – now only a minuscule 12x12x1 mm, approximately the size of a dime – by stacking two logic dies and two layers of DRAM in three dimensions, also eliminating the need for external memory.
- Hardware-guided OS scheduling: Enabling real-time communication between the CPU and the OS scheduler to run the right apps on the right cores, the hybrid CPU architecture helps deliver up to 24% better performance per SOC power3 and up to 12% faster single-threaded integer compute-intensive application performance4.
- More than 2x throughput on Intel UHD for AI-enhanced workloads5: Flexible GPU engine compute enables sustained, high-throughput inference applications – including AI-enhanced video stylization, analytics and image resolution upscaling.
- Up to 1.7x better graphics performance6: Gen11 graphics delivers seamless media and content creation on the go – the biggest leap in graphics for Intel processor-based 7-watt systems. Convert video clips up to 54% faster7, and with support for up to four external 4K displays, immerse in rich visuals for content creation and entertainment.
- Gigabit connectivity: With support for Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) and Intel LTE solutions, experience seamless video conferencing and streaming online.
|Processor Number||Graphics||Cores / Threads||Graphics (EUs)||Cache||TDP||Base Freq (GHz)||Max Single Core Turbo (GHz)||Max All Core Turbo (GHz)||Graphics Max Freq (GHz)||Memory|
|i5-L16G7||Intel UHD Graphics||5/5||64||4MB||7W||1.4||3.0||1.8||Up to 0.5||LPDDR4X-4267|
|i3-L13G4||Intel UHD Graphics||5/5||48||4MB||7W||0.8||2.8||1.3||Up to 0.5||LPDDR4X-4267|