Find the best Android TV Box with this shopping guide entitled What Android TV to buy?, for ths year 2022 where we want to present in a simple way the best models Android TV devices with which we can transform your old TV in a Smart TV.
All Smart TV Boxes that we show in this selection can be used to use any Android app, TV streaming, IPTV, PLEX or load KODI to play multimedia content even in 4K HDR. You may also be directly interested in a Smart TV with Android TV or Google TV integrated. If you are looking for the best Android TV-Box to watch HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+ or Prime Video certainly this is a good guide to know the compatible devices.
- We may earn a small commission for purchases using our links.
NVIDIA Shield TV the BEST ANDROID TV BOX of 2022
Undoubtedly the NVIDIA Shield TV is the best and most powerful Android TV BOX that we can buy today to connect to our TV. It includes the Android TV system powered by the powerful SoC NvidiaTegra X1+, integrated Chromecast and the best support for updates that we can have. Thanks to its power we can play games like PUBG without problems and use any emulator.
The Nvidia Shield has all the necessary certificates to watch streaming in 4K HDR quality so we can watch for example Netflix 4K and Amazon Prime video also in 4K quality, in addition to other online services. Also for IPTV apps, KODI add-ons or as a PLEX server. If you want to know more details you can read our Review of Nvidia Shield.
NVIDIA Shield TV pricing
- The NVIDIA Shield TV and Pro versions can be purchased at Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy only for $159 / $199.
Chromecast with Google TV
The Chromecast with Google TV is the definitive update of the Chromecast, it is now fully autonomous and works with the Google TV environment, assisted by a voice command and powerful hardware. It has Android TV system with the endorsement of Google updates and with all the necessary certificates for paid streaming services such as Netflix, HBO, have support for 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, as well as for use with KODI or IPTV apps.
A small Stick with Android TV with very good price ideal for streaming, but thanks to its configuration is able to move all kinds of games, for more details read our review of the Chromecast with Google TV.
Price of the Chromecast with Google TV
- The Chromecast with Google TV can be purchased at Google store, Wallmart or Newegg only for 49.99 €.
TIVO Stream 4K
The TIVO Stream 4K is a small and economic stick integrates the S905Y2 SoC with Android TV 9 system as has a fairly complete bluetooth remote control with microphone for the Google Assistant. It also has Chromecast to send content from our mobile and all certification for the most populars streaming apps like Netflix in 4K HDR quality. Also have enought hardware to use any app like KODI, IPTV or basic emulators. You can read our Full review for more information.
Price of the TIVO Stream 4K
Xiaomi TV Stick 4K and Realme Stick 4K
For those who prefer something small without a doubt the most interesting options with Android TV system are the new Xiaomi TV Stick 4K (REVIEW) and its direct competitor Realme TV Stick 4K (REVIEW). Two certified devices that allow us to watch Netflix 4K HDR, use it for multimedia in 4K KODI, watch IPTV channels or play with basic 3Dgames.
The main differences between the Xiaomi and Realme Sticks are the video and audio certificates. In the Xiaomi we have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support, while in the Realme we have Dolby Digital+ and HDR10 something simpler. Differences that only affect those who have 4K compatible screen and a good audio system.
Price of the Xiaomi TV Stick 4K and Realme Stick 4K
- Xiaomi TV Stick 4K can be purchased at AliExpress only for $67 with shipping cost included.
- Realme TV Stick 4K can be purchased at AliExpress only for $57 with shipping cost included.
Although the popular Xiaomi Mi Box S has been surpassed by new models, it still deserves to be on our list of recommended Android Boxes. A very popular box with Android TV that includes voice control and Android TV OS. It has enough hardware to watch Netflix 4K HDR, use it for multimedia in 4K KODI, watch IPTV channels, for example, play simple titles (not PUBG) enjoys Xiaomi updates and has the necessary certificates to watch paid streaming platforms in 4K quality. IF you want more information you can read our review of the Xiaomi Mi Box S.
Price of the Xiaomi Mi Box S
- The Xiaomi Mi Box S can be purchased at stores like Amazon, Walmart, Geekbuying or Aliexpress only for $50.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a cheap alternative for use as a multimedia center and for which we also have the option of acquiring it with a remote control with voice functions to control the Alexa assistant. We have a variety of versions to choose from with more or less power and suitable for TVs with 1080p or 4K HDR resolutions.
The Fire OS operating system, somewhat limited compared to Android TV, overall has a competent hardware, has the necessary certificates to watch 4K streaming on platforms like Netflix and others, has a good brand support. It is also valid for IPTV app or use KODI addons. You can read the review of the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K MAX, the most powerful of this family of products.
Price of the Amazon Fire TV Stick
- The Amazon Fire TV Stick can be purchased exclusively on Amazon for prices starting from $19 in its Lite model for 1080p.
The X98 mini is a really cheap Chinese TV Box, the best in its category, with Android 11 operating system and arrives with the new and efficient SoC S905W2. A Box with which we can move without problems any app, emulators with RetroARCH or games, even PUBG and KODI or IPTV in 4K quality. This Box is NOT suitable for watching Netflix, HBO, Disney+ and other similar streaming services, as it does not have certificates and are displayed in its most basic quality, for more details read our Review of the X98 Mini.
Price of the X98 Mini
- The TVBOX X98 mini can be purchased on Amazon or Aliexpress only for $40 in its version with 2 GB of RAM.
The X96 X4 is a cheap and efficient media player that deserves to be in our list of best TV-Box. It has an Android 11 system, with the new and powerful S905X4 chip that decodes AV1 and is suitable for IPTV or KODI 4K HDR, as well as being able to run some of the most powerful games. Like all Chinese Boxes of this type, the paid streaming apps only work in basic video quality. You have all the information in the X96 X4 Review.
Price of the X96 X4
The A95X F3 is a cheap TV Box and the favorite of many people, as it is 100% compatible with EmuELEC and LibreELEC so it deserves to be in our selection of the best TVBOX. Its operating system is Android 9.0 and its engine is the popular S905X3 Chip that is suitable for any app or powerful games, paid streaming apps in basic quality, plus IPTV or KODI apps up to 4K and much more. See our A95X F3 Review for all the details.
A95X F3 price
The Mecool KT1 is the best Android Box you can buy if you’re looking for something with a built-in satellite or HD DVB-T tuner. This Box is enhanced with a powerful and modern S905X4 processor, brings Android TV 10 as operating system with integrated Chromecast for Youtube. It also allows you to watch some paid streaming services in 4K quality like Prime Video, use it for KODI or IPTV apps. To see all its specifications read our Mecool KT1 Review.
Mecool KT1 price
- Mecool KT1 T2+C can be purchased on Aliexpress or Geekbuying only for $79.
- Mecool KT1 S2 can be purchased on Aliexpress or Geekbuying only for $97.
ANDROID TV OR MINI PC SELECTION CRITERIA
Android TV-Box or mini PC ?
- Android TV-Box – It is an Android device in TV-Box or TV-Stick format that offers us the possibility of converting our screen or TV into an Android device, with it we have the option of having all of this system’s apps on the big screen. You can use it as a multimedia player such as KODI or LibreELEC system, streaming applications such as Netflix, play games, use desktop apps and use file download managers.
- Mini PC – These mini PCs are small computers usually with Windows 11 fully functional, we can use them as a conventional PC but with a minimum consumption and they are mostly fanless. We can use it as a desktop PC with office suites, simple games or HTPC. You can check our mini PC selection for more information.
Common uses and recommendations
- If we have any problem with one of these models we recommend following the Guide to solutions for common problems where we explain how to deal with hardware problems, such as reinstalling Firmware, Windows or managing your warranty.
- Brand support : Some Android TV-Box and mini PC devices have a very low price and we usually do not find information about them. Normally these devices are products of a unknown brand that does not offer support to their products with what is possible that then we find problems with their firmware, hardware deficient or with variations within the same model. We recommend models that we have tested and brands that we know give at least a minimum support to their devices.
- Power : At power level we need to browse and watch movies at least 2GB of RAM and a Quad Core processor, all models in this selection have enough hardware for these needs.