The VESA organization has announced the specifications of the DisplayPort 2.0 standard. An important update from DP 1.4a that offers us a performance increase three times superior in its bandwidth that increases from 32 to 80 Gbps. Thanks to this data flow, the new DP 2.0 protocol will allow resolutions of more than 8K, as well as higher update rates for 4K / HDR applications and support for Virtual Reality at all levels.
In addition to being compatible with existing DP functions in previous versions we have support for Display Stream Compression (DSC), Forward Error Correction (FEC) and updated transport for HDR metadata, the new bandwidth will be able to support 8K to 60Hz with HDR support , or even better with DSC turned on.
Energy efficiency also improves as indicated by VESA “DP 2.0 is designed to optimize the energy supplied and the thermal performance of smaller devices, such as all-in-one computers and laptops, with higher resolution screens.” This energy saving is based on an efficient function where the GPU only updates the part of the screen that has changed in each video frame. The first products with DP 2.0 will appear on the market at the end of 2020.
DisplayPort 2.0 Modes
- One screen
- 16K (15360×8460) screen @ 60Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
- 10K (10240×4320) screen @ 60Hz and 24 bpp 4:4:4 (without compression)
- Two screens
- 2x 8K (7680×4320) screens @ 120Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
- 2x 4K (3840×2160) screens @ 144Hz and 24 bpp 4:4:4 (without compression)
- Three screens
- 3x 10K (10240×4320) screens @ 60Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
- 3x 4K (3840×2160) screens @ 90Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (without compression)
- Multiple screens with SuperSpeed USB and two USB-C lines in DP Alt mode:
- 3x 4K (3840×2160) screens @ 144Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
- 2x 4Kx4K (4096×4096) screens (para cascos AR/VR) @ 120Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (with DSC)
- 3x QHD (2560×1440) @ 120Hz and 24 bpp 4:4:4 (without compression)
- 1x 8K (7680×4320) screen @ 30Hz and 30 bpp 4:4:4 HDR (without compression)