NVIDIA Shield TV is undoubtedly the maximum hardware and support exponent of the Android TV system that Google has had during all the years it has been in the market, today we have the new firmware that makes the jump to the new Android TV 8.0 Oreo environment. A complete redesign of this system that will certainly not leave us indifferent, we will discuss the main differences with respect to Android TV 7 and what changes this firmware brings.
Android TV 8.0 Oreo
In this new version of Android TV we have a completely new home screen that unifies the contents, we can access live television, videos on demand, multimedia streaming or games in a direct and customizable way.
- Favorite Apps: You choose the apps and the order! Hold the Select button on an app to move it. To access all your apps, hold the Home button or select the red Apps icon.
- Play Next: Continue where you left off in TV shows, movies, and games. To add content to Play Next, navigate to the content and hold the Select button. Note: Not all apps support Play Next.
- Channels: Discover new entertainment from your favorite apps. You choose the channels and the order. Navigate left on a channel to move or remove it. Note: Not all apps support Channels.
- Amazon Prime Video Gets a Big Update
Discovering new shows has never been easier with the new Prime Video user interface. New features include the ability to add and remove shows to your Watchlist and more.
- PLEX Media Server Expands Storage Options
Your server’s app data (metadata, background art, and more) can now be moved to USB storage devices. From the PLEX app, go to Settings > Plex Media Server > Storage Location.
- Watch Live Sports with ESPN+
Cut the cord and watch live sports on ESPN without a cable plan. The ESPN+ subscription service is now available on the ESPN app.
- Enjoy YouTube Red Originals in 4K Ultra HD on YouTube TV
Watch original series like Cobra Kai in 4K. Plus, enjoy your live sports in full HD at 60FPS for smooth live action gameplay in top channels like CBS and NBC.
- FandangoNOW Offers Huge Selection of Movies in 4K Ultra HD
You can now watch the newest movies including Black Panther in stunning 4K Ultra HD.
- Enjoy the New SmartThings Hub Update
Certain automations that control Zigbee and Z-wave devices can now run locally without requiring cloud processing, leading to faster response time.
- Watch CNBC
Stream CNBC’s business news, financial information, and market data or log in with your TV service provider to watch CNBC Live’s primetime shows like Mad Money, Closing Bell, and Shark Tank.
- Watch Dish Network
SHIELD is now your Dish Network cable box with the Dish Anywhere app. Access live TV, recorded shows, or on-demand movies.
- Discover your Dream Home
Search for new homes and view immersive photos and video walkthroughs on your big screen TV.
- What’s New on Google Assistant
Google Assistant Adds 6 New Voices
- Open Settings -> Preferences on the Google Assistant app on your phone.
New smart home partners
- Arlo cameras
- Emerson Sensi
- Ikea Tadfri
- LG Smart Appliances
- Scenes support for Phillips Hue
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- Lonely Planet Travel Guide
- Shadowgun Legends
Shadowgun returns with a new free RPG shooter. Experience an epic story campaign, competitive and cooperative multiplayer, and an innovative social hub–all in one game!
Enjoy an out-of-this-world action-adventure game set in a world of hidden magic and high technology.
Immerse yourself in this exploration-based, sci-fi, first-person shooter that will have you research plants and animals, battle hostile entities, and unravel a mystery.
Defy gravity, discover mysteries and secrets, and survive against enemies bent on oppression in this “Metroidvania”-style 2D platformer.
- The latest monthly Android security updates
- Quick access to Settings when you’re on the home screen by holding the Back button
- Support for high polling rate gaming mice for NVIDIA GameStream
- Improved support for game controllers:
- Customize SHIELD controller thumbstick dead zones (Settings-> Apps-> Input viewer)
- Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 v2 controllers
- DualShock 4 controllers using USB wireless adapter
- Adds “Connect” option to re-pair disconnected Bluetooth accessories (Settings->Accessories)
- Ability to connect to Wi-Fi without disconnecting Ethernet (Settings-> Network-> Ethernet)
- General stability fixes on SHIELD remote (2017) and controller (2017)
- Latest accessory firmware versions:
- SHIELD controller (2017): v1.24
- SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
- SHIELD remote (2017): v1.33
- SHIELD remote (rechargeable): v.1.30