Beelink L55 is a new mini PC of the Beelink brand of which today we present his review, has a very compact design in NUC type format. This small computer has a low-power Intel Core i3-5005U processor, an 8GB SODIMM of DDR3L RAM and a M.2 SATA disk installed as standard with 256 or 512GB storage options. This miniPC has internal ventilation to keep temperatures at bay in high performance scenarios. Let’s see how it is defended in the following detailed review.
Table of Contents
The Beelink L55 mini PC has a box design inspired by Intel NUC models and where at the top of the box we have the logo of the brand. On the front we have a status LED on the rubber ignition button, two USB 3.0 ports and audio jack. In the back we have the other connectors where stands out the double DP 1.2 with support 4K60fps and the HDMI 1.4 port that allows us to connect two monitors at once, we also have two Gigabit Ethernet connectors.
- Materials: Plastic and aluminium.
- Interfaces: 4x USB 3.0 / 2x USB 2.0 / 1x HDMI 1.4 / 1x DP 1.2 / 2x Ethernet Gigabit
- Accessories: DC 19V 3A adapter/ 2x HDMI Cable / SATA cables / VESA support / Manual.
In the lower area we find four rubber feet with the fixing screws of the lid and if we open it we can see the SATA connector to mount a 2.5″ disk, the SODIMM module of 8GB DDR3L and the M.2 disk installed. In the lower area we only have the copper cooler fan in contact with the CPU, this mini PC has the option to hang it in a VESA support included and we also have two HDMI cables, one short and one long.
- Expansions: 1x M.2 SATA 2280 (256GB in review) / 1x SODIMM DDR3L / 1x SATA 2,5″
System and user experience
We turn on the Beelink L55 by pressing the front button of the box, as indicated by the specifications we have Windows 10 Home 64bit correctly activated. We check the list of devices and note that all have their drivers installed correctly, the systems work without problem.
- OS Version installed: Windows 10 Home 64bit.
- Software pre-installed: None.
We verify that the Windows 10 Pro system moves fast, thanks to the 8GB of RAM, we can do a lot of loading of navigation tabs without loss of performance. A perfectly valid computer for office automation, multimedia and programs of all kinds up to an average level of processing.
- Tutorials mini PC: Control the mini PC with your Smartphone / Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to SSD
Support, BIOS and other OS
The Beelink has its own website and contact email. We can access the BIOS by pressing ESC, it has a classic AMI BIOS with many special options, a product that allows us to set on with the internal clock, we recommend not to touch the BIOS a lot because we can leave the system frozen. This model is fully compatible with Ubuntu, we can check it from a USB boot drive, all the devices are detected and we can use the hardware without problems. LibreELEC is also compatible.
Storage, RAM and Ports
We passed the M.2 SATA disk storage speed tests installed by default on a disk in 2280 format, we also tested the 8GB of DDR3L RAM that comes standard in a SODIMM module.
The disk behaves correctly within the SATA 3 speeds. The RAM memory is limited by the controller of this generation of processors, the speed of the DDR3L memory at 1600Mhz and its Single Channel configuration is also noted.
- USB ports: Four USB 3.0 one with fast charge.
- Tutorials mini PC: Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to a SSD
Wifi, Ethernet and Bluetooth
Integrated in the mini PC Beelink L55 has installed a wireless adapter Wifi 3165D AC de Dual Band with Bluetooth with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speeds for this network adapters.
- Scope Wifi: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 41 dBm, a very poor result.
- Bluetooth: Works correctly and connects without problems
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC
Electric consumption, temperature and noise
At consumption level the Beelink L55 model with the Intel Core i3-5005U processor has a variable consumption between 10 and 15W TDP, has a low numbers as usual in these models and we can see that we remain at a contained power consumption level even in scenarios of maximum performance. The active ventilation system refreshes the CPU and is not very noisy, the internal fan works always at minimum revolutions and if we are close we can hear a low continuous sound. If we run a game to some powerful application if that is more audible but not annoying.
- Measuring temperature: 25ºC
- Noise: Min. rpm = 25 db / Max. rpm = 40 db
In our review we make several types of tests to check the performance in each use scenario, with this data we can make an idea of the overall real performance that the system will have during its working life.
- Continuous extreme performance: 67ºC Max. / CPU 1.9 GHz / NO thermal throlling and NO limited CPU
- Overclock: Available but we do not recommend touching the BIOS.
- Performance in games: LOL 65ºC / CPU 1.9 GHz average and 2.7 GHz máx.
- External temperature: 44ºC on the surface.
Inside the Beelink L55 mini PC we find an Intel Core i3-5005U with two cores and four threads that has a maximum speed of 2.0 GHz and an Intel HD Graphics 5500 GPU up to 850 MHz. This chip has a maximum consumption between 10 and 15 W TDP, the results are correct within the Broadwell family thanks to its manufacturing process in 14nm. Where is weak is in its old GPU that also has a VPU decoder quite outdated as it is a processor of the year 2015. A mini PC that works perfectly to navigate, multimedia playback with KODI, use of office automation at user level or even with basic design applications.
In our benchmark withgames on the Beelink L55 we can see the results, the values are classic in line with this type of product of this type, the Intel HD Graphics 5500 GPU is fine for simple games such as we can find in Android phones by downloading them from the Microsoft Store. Also indie titles in 2D or current games with light 3D load like LOL, the emulators are also feasible but at the most we stayed in some simple Wii titles.
- GTA V / Overwath / Fortnite, low settings, 720p resolution and no VSync.
- LOL / CS:GO, low settings, 1080p resolution and no VSync.
*On models with powerful discrete GPU settings in medium and 1080p resolution
With the Beelink L55 we have performed a performance test with the game League of legends (LOL) which is quite light and we can play at 28fps, DOTA 2 is more demanding and we usually have 10fps less. We also do a special test with CS:GO and we see that we stay at 23fps in 1080p, a GPU not recommended for this type of games.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
Video playback test
In the video playback section the Beelink L55 mini PC has an integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500 GPU that has a VPU WITHOUT hardware support for the HEVC codec or for the modern VP9. In this processor it does NOT have support for 10bit or HDR range by default and reduces the colors to SD level. This mini PC can be valid as a multimedia system to use KODI, IPTV or to use it with PLEX but in 1080p contents and with h.264 codec.
- Devices: Double monitor with HDMI 1.4a 4K@30fps and DP 1.2 4K@60fps
- Max. bitrate: 60 Mbps = 7,5 MB/s
- Tutorials: Playback 4K videos with HEVC and VP9 seamlessly / Install KODI with add-ons / LibreELEC operating system for PC
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||Frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of the SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
We past test with the Beelink L55 using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver checking that the miniPC supports DD and DTS 7.1 pass through, is curious because the default hardware only supports stereo and does not have licenses for DD or DTS formats. We recommend, as always, to update all the drivers with Windows Update to the latest before connecting the device to our AV receiver.
- Devices: HDMI with Intel HD audio up to 7.1 / Audio jack with Realtek up to stereo / No integrated microphone
- Configuration tutorial: Basic concepts and configuration for multichannel audio on Windows and Android
Audio test results
|Format||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||OK / OK||OK / OK||OK / Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
For the streaming aspect in the Beelink L55 mini PC we check the most popular streaming services such as Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in HD or 4K quality
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Add-on for Chrome to force h.264 if we have problems with VP9.
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1||OK||–|
|Netflix||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1||OK||Netflix for PC|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video for PC|
As we see the Beelink L55 is a model with interesting points in this NUC format, it stands out for its compact size and the possibility of expansion in its internal storage or RAM. The Intel Core i3-5005U processor is powerful at the CPU level but is somewhat weak at the level of GPU and VPU. This small computer that can be valid for a desktop use, browse intensively or run design applications at a basic level. We have 8GB of RAM installed by default in addition to disk 256/512 M.2 SATA and allows us to mount another 2.5″ SATA disk that is appreciated in order to expand it.
Inside the Beelink L55 we have an internal fan that keeps the temperatures low, it does not have semi-passive operation but it is quite silent. At the network usage level, the Wifi aC adapter behaves normally, we have a dual Gigabit Ethernet adapter and the BIOS of the system is quite complete, it is also compatible with other OS. This model also has a double video output of HDMI 1.4 video and DP 1.2 4K60fps to connect two monitors simultaneously.
The model Beelink L55 as we see a compact and complete computer, a good model of mini PC for desktop use or surf the Internet, for high-level video playback perhaps we are interested in something with more modern processor.