MINIX NEO G41V-4 is a new fanless mini PC of the Minix brand of which we present today in his review. A small computer that mounts the b processor that allows you to expand your internal storage with an M.2 disk, Includes 4GB of DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 Pro and has three video outputs, two of them up to 4K@60fps. An ideal product for desktop, HTPC or professional industrial uses such as digital signage, let’s see how this device behaves in our usual review.
The MINIX NEO G41V-4 comes in a blue cardboard box with the logo of the device, inside we found the Mini PC, HDMI cable 4K60fps compatible, Manual, VESA support, SPDIF adapter, fixing screws and a DC 12V 3A adapter.
The MINIX NEO G41V-4 has a new design with perforations on the top and anti dust grid. On the front we have a status LED, on one side we have the power button, USB ports, audio jack and microSD reader, in the back area we have the rest of the connectors. At the top of the motherboard we have the fan, battery of the bios, jumpers to connect a COM or debug port and to flash the MCU firmware. Together with the mini PC we have a standard VESA support that fits perfectly with the computer case without the need for hardware.
- Networks: Wifi ac + BT 4.2 (Intel 3168) with two internal antennas / Ethernet Gigabit.
- Expansions: 1x M.2 2280 / 1x M.2 Wifi installed.
- Extras: VESA support
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and user experience
We boot up the MINIX NEO G41V-4 pressing the side button of the box, as indicated by the specifications we have Windows 10 Pro 64bit correctly activated and the list of devices has all its drivers installed correctly. The environment moves fast thanks to the 4GB of RAM, it is possible to load a good number of navigation tabs without loss of performance, but if we are going to make intensive use it is advisable to install another SODIMM module and reach 8GB. A perfectly valid computer for office automation, multimedia and editing programs at medium level.
- OS Version installed: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
- Software pre-installed: None.
- Tutorials mini PC: Control the mini PC with your Smartphone / Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to SSD
Networks, Storage, RAM and Ports
As for network adapters in the MINIX NEO G41V-4 mini PC, we have an integrated wireless Wifi aC + BT 4.2 adapter (Intel 3168) integrated and Gigabit Ethernet port. We also tested the 4GB of LPDDR4 2133MHz RAM that comes standard in Single Channel configuration. We pass eMMC 5.1 storage speed tests installed by default and observe that it behaves normally. This miniPC can be expanded with an M.2 2280 drive or purchase the MINIX M.2 disk with Windows 10 Pro already installed and configured.
- USB ports: We have two USB 3.0 ports and two USB 3.1 Type-C.
- Network performance: Good speed with two internal Wifi antennas. / Range 39 dBm, OK. / Bluetooth OK.
- Tutorials mini PC: Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to a SSD / Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks
Processor, performance and thermal
Installed in the MINIX NEO G41V-4 mini PC we find an Intel Pentium Silver J5005 processor with four cores and four threads running between 1.5 and 2.6 GHz and an Intel HD Graphics 600 GPU up to 800 MHz with 18 EU. This chip has a maximum consumption of 6 W TDP, the results are correct within the Apollo Lake family and as we see it is at the level of more modern models with similar consumption. A mini PC that works perfectly for browsing, multimedia playback with KODI, use of office automation at the user level or even with design applications at good level.
- If you want to know some of the models in this comparative you can read their detailed reviews on this link.
- Power Consumption: Off 0.8W / Standby 4.5W / Basic use 11W / Maximum 18W.
- Thermal: Minimum 41ºC / Maximum 67ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Superior heating.
- Noise: 0db cooling is fanless.
- Continuous extreme performance: Temperature 671ºC Max. / CPU 2.2 GHz / Without thermal throttling.
- Game performance: PUBG 67ºC / CPU 1.4 GHz on average and 2.4 GHz maximum.
- Overclock: Available but we do not recommend touching the BIOS.
We pass several benchmarks with games in the MINIX NEO G41V-4, in this model we have the classic results in the line of this type of products, the Intel HD Graphics 600 GPU is perfectly valid for simple games such as those we can find in Android phones downloading them from the Microsoft Store. At the level of emulators at the most we stay in some simple Wii titles. We can also play smoothly 3D light games like LoL or similar, not enough power to play AAA games with demanding 3D.
- GTA V / Overwatch / Fortnite, low settings, 720p resolution and no VSync.
- LOL / CS:GO, ow settings, 1080p resolution and no VSync.
- PUBG Lite: with settings in low and 720p resolution we reach 24fps, see our PUBG Lite configuration guide.
*On models with powerful discrete GPU settings in medium and 1080p resolution
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
In the video playback aspect the MINIX NEO G41V-4 mini PC with the integrated Intel HD Graphics 600 have a VPU with hardware support for the HEVC codec and for basic VP9, in this processor we have support for 10bit color video and also HDR although we can reproduce it in basic color quality since Gemini Lake does not have HDR with native support. This mini PC is perfectly valid as a multimedia system to use KODI or PLEX.
- Video output: Image quality settings available from Intel control panel.
- Audio output: HDMI with Intel HD audio up to 7.1 / Audio jack SPDIF 5.1 / Without integrated microphone.
- Ports: Triple monitor with HDMI 2.0 + DP 4K@60fps + VGA 1080p.
- Tutorials: Playback 4K videos with HEVC and VP9 seamlessly / Install KODI with add-ons / LibreELEC operating system for PC
- Configuration tutorial: Basic concepts and configuration for multichannel audio on Windows and Android
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Little frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
|Max. Bitrate||60 Mbps = 7,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bitrate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or the limitations with our SAMBA Network.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Format||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In the streaming aspect the MINIX NEO G41V-4 mini PC with the most popular streaming services we pass some test for Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in HD or 4K quality
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Add-on for Chrome to force h.264 if we have problems with VP9.
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||4K (2160p) / 5.1||OK||–|
|Netflix||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1||OK||Netflix for PC|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||HBO for PC|
|Amazon Prime Video||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video for PC|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
After analyzing the new passive mini PC MINIX NEO G41V-4 of 64GB we can say that we are facing a well designed computer with quality in its hardware. This fanless system can be valid for domestic use or commercial uses such as digital signage thanks to its triple video output and we also have several options for remote ignition and system recovery with automatic ignition. It must be said that this model has VESA support and Kensington lock that allows us to use it in public spaces or in industrial environments in a simple way.
In the MINIX NEO G41V-4 mini PC we can also install an M.2 2280 disk that allows us to increase the internal storage and also the speed of the system, the RAM is integrated into the board and cannot be expanded. In general, an interesting mini PC for those looking for the features it offers. This model is 100% compatible with the Flymouse MINIX NEO W2 remote that is a perfect complement for your home use since we can control it remotely.
As we can see, the MINIX NEO G41V-4 is a fanless mini PC valid for desktop, digital signage and industrial use. A product of MInix with finishes and components that give confidence.
Where to buy
- As an alternative you can compare this product with our recommended models.