Beelink GTR5 5900HX is a new and powerful PC of the Beelink brand that today we present its analysis or review. A compact computer that allows us to use it for large calculations and somewhat demanding games.
This small PC integrates the AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor that has a Vega 8 GPU, can mount 16/32 GB of DDR4 RAM, an M.2 NVMe 256/512 GB drive, another M.2 SATA slot and housing for 2.5″ disk. It also has multiple connection ports with triple video output and two 2.5G Ethernet ports. The installed operating system is Windows 11 Pro updated to the latest and has a hardware that offers enough power to run any high-level design app.
Let’s see how this device performs in our review and how it fares against the competition.
The new Beelink GTR5 5900HX comes in a fairly simple but well protected cardboard box. Inside we find the small protected computer with its contents, manual, 2x HDMI cable, VESA bracket and 19V 4.74A (90 W) charger.
This small computer Beelink GTR5 5900HX has a very robust metal case and vents around its perimeter. In the upper area we have led lighting in the AMD logo to turn on the system, in this same area we have a fingerprint reader to access Windows without password.
On the front we have a power button, BIOS reset, audio in/out jack, USB-C data and video (NOT power) and a USB 3.0 Type-A port. In the rear area we find two USB 3.0 Type-A ports, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2, two Ethernet 2.5G and for power supply we have a round DC port.
Inside this PC we find the Wifi 6E + BT 5.0 adapter (AMD RZ608) with two internal antennas and two 2.5G Ethernet ports (Realtek). We also have installed a M.2 2280 NVMe Kinsgton disk and for RAM we have two SODIMM DDR4 slots up to 3200 MHz Crucial. We also have a housing for a 2.5″ SATA disk in the top cover.
- RAM: 16/32 GB DDR4 Crucial 3200MHz max / 2x SODIMM.
- Storage: 256/510 GB 1x M.2 2280 NVMe Kingston / 1x M.2 2280 SATA / 1x SATA 3 2.5″.
- Network: Wifi 6E + BT 5.0 (AMD RZ608) / 2x Ethernet 2.5G (Realtek)
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and user experience
We start the Beelink GTR5 5900HX by pressing the front power button and the AMD logo lights up. As the specifications indicate we have Windows 11 Pro activated, with its drivers installed correctly and ready to work. The system moves very smoothly thanks to the Ryzen 9 processor and it is possible to load a good number of browser tabs without loss of performance. A PC totally valid for office, multimedia and to work with heavy calculation apps.
- OS Version installed: Windows 11 Pro 64bit.
- Software pre-installed: None.
- Tutorials: Control the micro PC with your Smartphone / Install Windows 11 / Migrate Windows to SSD
Networks, Storage, RAM and Ports
In terms of network connectivity, the Beelink GTR5 5900HX PC has a Wifi 6E + BT 5.0 wireless adapter (AMD RZ608) and two 2.5G Ethernet ports (Realtek). The speed results are quite good and we have a correct range.
- Network performance: Two internal Wifi antennas / Range 41 dBm / Link 5G 780 Mbps / Bluetooth OK.
We tested the storage speed of the installed Kingston M.2 NVMe disk and observed that it behaves normally according to the specifications. For the performance tests we have 32 GB of DDR4 3200 MHz Crucial RAM with Dual Channel configuration.
- USB ports: USB 3.2 Type-C (data + video, NOT power) / 3x USB 3.0 / 2x USB 2.0.
- Tutorials micro PC: Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to a SSD / Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks
Processor, performance and thermal
In the Beelink GTR5 5900HX PC we have installed a powerful AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor manufactured in 7nm with four cores and eight Zen 3 threads that moves between 3.6 and 4.6 GHz and in the graphics section we have a Vega 8 GPU up to 2100 MHz. This chip has a staggered consumption of 35/45 W TDP and the results are correct within this range, the GPU performance is limited by consumption being a processor intended for laptops. A PC that works perfectly for heavy editing applications, multimedia playback with KODI, office use and medium 3D load games.
- Performance modes: BIOS > Advance > AMB CBS > NBIO > SUM > Sys config = Balance/Performance/AUTO
As we can see in the performance tests of the Beelink GTR5 5900HX is quite even in computing power compared to other chips of similar range and we can use demanding programs quite smoothly. The installed Vega 8 GPU as we can see is more limited even if we increase the power consumption limit in the BIOS and in Windows (power plan, performance).
This compact mini PC surprises us with a good thermal performance the system keeps the temperatures controlled with its fan at variable RPM and emits very little noise, at idle it is almost inaudible and in games it is quite audible but not outrageous. This APU with its 7 nm is efficient and should not worry us in this aspect.
- Power consumption: Off 0.9W / Idle 8W / Basic use 29W / Maximum 65W.
- Thermal: Idle 40ºC / Basic use 46ºC / Maximum 72ºC / CPU 3.4 GHz max / Performance up to 100%.
- Gaming performance: LoL 69ºC / CPU 3.4 GHz on average.
- Noise: 42dBA Max / Variable RPM / NO Semi-passive.
- Fans: YES can be adjusted in BIOS.
We conducted our performance test on games on the Beelink GTR5 5900HX, we have some results are in line with this type of GPU integrated into the Ryzen, the Vega 8 GPU is suitable for games in 1080p quality if they are not very demanding as the system falls somewhat short in games with high 3D load. As for emulators at most we are left with some simple Wii and similar titles. If we are going to play games, Dual Channel memory is a MUST.
- Setting: High quality / 1080p resolution / No VSync / Play emulators with RetoArch.
* On models with integrated Intel HD GPU on low and 720p resolution.
It is possible to play titles like LoL, in more demanding games like Fornite with the graphics settings in performance mode is playable because it reaches 110 fps in low quality and in DX11 mode we can reach 68 fps. If we are mainly interested in the Gaming section is better to go for a PC with a dedicated GPU where we will have a much smoother experience.
- BIOS setting to improve performance:
– Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO > SMU > System Conf. > 2 Performance 45W.
– Advanced > AMD CBS > NBIO > GFX conf. > UMA Hame Optimized.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
In terms of video playback capability the Beelink GTR5 5900HX PC has an integrated Vega 8 GPU which features a VPU with hardware support for HEVC and VP9 codecs and we do not have support for the modern AV1 video codec. In this processor has support for 10bit color and native HDR support by default. This PC is perfectly valid as a multimedia system to use KODI, IPTV or to use it with PLEX.
- Video outputs: 2x HDMI 2.0 + USB Type-C / HDR10 / Adjust image quality in our monitor.
- Audio outputs: HDMI up to 7.1 / Stereo audio jack.
- Tutorials: 4K videos with HEVC, VP9 / Install KODI with add-ons / Auto refresh rate / Multichannel audio on Windows
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK (SW)|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip (SW)|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bit rate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or the limitations with our SAMBA Network.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Native||Dolby 5.1 – Plus / DTS 5.1 – Master Audio|
|Core||Dolby HD – Atmos / DTS HR – X|
- Native – Supports the format directly in our AV receiver or similar / More info.
- Core – Only the 5.1 core of the format is played so we go to the Dolby or DTS base system / More info.
- PCM – Only stereo downmixing from DD or DTS.
We test the Beelink GTR5 5900HX micro PC with the most popular streaming services we pass some test for Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in FullHD or 4K quality.
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC for PC
|Streaming service||Video / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2160p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Netflix guide for PC|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Estéreo / HBO guide for PC|
|Disney+||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Disney+ guide for PC|
|Prime Video||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Prime Video guide for PC|
|Apple TV+||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Apple TV+ Guide|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Stereo|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
Once we have tested the powerful Beelink GTR5 5900HX mini PC we can definitely say that we are facing one of the most powerful mini PCs we have touched. This computer integrates a powerful AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor with an efficient Vega 8 GPU, has three 4K video outputs and two 2.5G Ethernet ports for transferring large files. This PC can be placed anywhere on our desk in a totally discreet way or hung from its VESA mount.
The Beelink GTR5 5900HX has a high computing power that makes it suitable even for any heavy task. It also has an M.2 2280 NVMe disk and the option of another M.2 SATA, a SATA 3 2.5” disk and two SODIMM slots that allow easy expansion of RAM. It also stands out for integrating Wifi 6E and two 2.5G Ethernet ports with good performance. The cooling system works well and we did not observe performance losses due to overheating. This mini PC has a fan that can be heard when running heavy games or launching demanding calculations, but it does not bother in more basic tasks.
Undoubtedly the Beelink GTR5 5900HX is a new extremely powerful and compact mini PC. This small PC is more than enough for professional use in many applications that require CPU power.