The TV-Box Beelink GT-King has a classic design in general lines with a closed black box, highlights for its skull on the top with eyes that light up in green (not very bright). In the front we have an IR receiver that is not visible (and don’t work with this remote), at the connector level we find two USB 3.0 ports, we also have HDMI 2.1 to 4K@75fps connector, another USB 2.0 rear, microSD reader, SPDIF, power connector, AV jack and a hole with the reset that we can press to enter flash mode.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 108 x 108 x 16 mm / 190 gr
- Leds and panel: Green LED in the eyes of skull top / Can not be turned off by software.
In the lower part we have a lid mounted on pressure, if we open this we can see the Wifi MiMo + BT 4.1 chip (AP6356S) that mounts two internal antennas stuck to the inside, the connectors allow us to make a mod and install external antennas if we have good hand. The cooling system consists of an aluminum heatsink in the upper area that comes into contact with the SoC. We can see a cable that goes to the leds of the skull that we can disconnect. This TV-Box has many internal connectors that we can see in detail in the official documentation of Beelink for the motherboard.
- Remote Control: Flymouse control with integrated microphone, basic but functional. We can choose other alternatives.
- Voice control: As a series we have Google Search but it is possible to install Google Assistant to improve the results.
- Alternate control: We can control remotely using the app Cetusplay / Don’t have its own remote control app.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the Beelink GT-King to the current and start automatically, the logo of the brand appears and the upper eyes light up in green. We arrived at the launcher by default based on square, it has two customizable side sheets and an icon + where we can add our shortcuts on the main screen. A fairly basic launcher designed to be used with the included remote control, this launcher will be updated soon with a new Beelink design. We can use the microphone of the Flymouse control to execute searches with Google Search but it is possible to install Google Assistant to improve the results.
- Launcher: Basic Launcher / YES we can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: WITH on-screen access bars / Multitasking available directly in 2x Home control.
- Installed apps: Google play, Netflix, Update, AppInstaller, AppMarket; Bee Files, Bee Music, Galery, DLNA and Settings.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
We check the system data within the Android settings and through analysis software, we can see the details of the system installed by default, in this case in Android 9 Pie in its classic version.
- System version: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / Kernel 4.9.113 / Build 2019-05-08 / Referencia G21B.
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Settings and root: Android + Droid Settings / The system IS root by default / NO menu to deactivate it in settings.
- Support: Beelink has a website to contact / Firmware not yet / Custom firmware no yet / Full SDK available for devs (68GB)
Power and performance
At power level the Beelink GT-King thanks to the installed hardware moves the system very smoothly, it is possible to run all Android apps without loss of performance or slowness. At the power level, it has excellent results thanks to the new Amlogic S922X Hexa Core SoC with 4x ARM Cortex-A73 + 2x A-53 processors and Mali-G52 MP6 GPU. This new SoC is manufactured in 12nm maintains a low power consumption and temperatures at a good level thanks to its efficiency.
- Consumption: Off 0.8W / Standby 3W / Basic use 5W / Maximum 7.7W
- Thermals: Minimum 52ºC / Maximum 73ºC / Maintains performance up to 92% / Small heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- You can read our Comparison article for Amlogic S922X SoC with all its technical details
Observing the benchmarks we can see how the Amlogic S922X SoC outperforms models such as the powerful RK3399, in the general section is below the powerful Nvidia SoC that remains unbeatable after so many years. A valid processor to run games and emulators at high level without many problems.
In the following you can see a test of how PUBG moves in medium settings with the Beelink GT-King, the result is very good and we can move without problems. We recommend reading our tutorial to play with keyboard and mouse to PUBG in a TV-Box.
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
In the Beelink GT-King model we have integrated eMMC memory as internal storage, USB 3.0 ports and SD card reader. In the network section we have a Wifi ac MiMO 2.4/5GHz and Bluetooth 4.1 (AP6356S) and Ethernet Gigabit port. The performance of the Wifi chip is good and we arrive at correct figures for this type of adapter.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 23GB expandable with a USB memory stick / NTFS + exFAT compatible.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Network: Good speed in 5G with two wifi antennas / Range 28 dBm, correct. / Bluetooth works OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||20/18 MB/s||114/38 MB/s||19/18 MB/s||–|
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
Regarding the video playback section, the Beelink GT-King has the S922X SoC and an Advanced Video Engine Gen10 VPU compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9. In this TV-Box we can use players like MXPlayer or install KODI from Google Play without the slightest problem. We have been surprised by the HDMI-CEC function that behaves normally, although we already know that it is a system that depends on our peripherals.
- Settings and HDMI-CEC: NO image quality settings / RGB and SDR modes available / HDMI-CEC working
- Automatic refresh rate change: Not available, the settings exist but it does not work.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
- Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
We perform several multimedia playback tests with the Beelink GT-King and check that it works perfectly using the new Amlogic S922X SoC, which has video output support for HDMI 2.1 that theoretically allows maximum resolution up to 4K@75fps with HDR information with support for Dolby Vision, Advanced HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, PRIME HDR and profiles REC709/BT2020.
- Performance: HEVC with good performance at 10 bit color or HDR / VP9 correct with P2, not compatible with 8K
- Ports: HDMI 2.1 4K@75fps / Jack audio stereo / SPDIF.
- Max. bitrate: 100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|h.264 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
- You can see more details in the article Video decoding tests with Amlogic S922X SoC.
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
We check the audio in the Beelink GT-King using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that they supports DD and DTS pass through sound. We can only listen to the multi-channel audio up to 5.1. If we do not have an AV receiver to listen the files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / SPDIF 5.1 / Stereo Jack
- Passthrough and certification: Available in settings / NO official certificates / NO Chromecast audio.
- Tutorial: Multi channel audio configuration in Android devices
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||OK / Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
We pass the classic tests on streaming services to see how the most popular services work. In this model does not have certificates for these services. The Beelink GT-King model presents the classic configuration without certifications that limits us in quality in several streaming services, all the compatible services works without problems.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / HDCP 2.2.
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the Netflix apk||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video on Android|
After analyzing the TV-Box Beelink GT-King we can say that this is a very interesting first model with the new and powerful Amlogic S922X Hexa Core SoC. A processor that now includes as a novelty USB 3.0 connectors, a series of visual improvements in video playback and a very controlled consumption for the power that can be deployed. At the network level, the Wifi MiMo adapter with two internal antennas gives us good figures and the Gigabit Ethernet port speed allows us to use network files without any bandwidth problems.
In the Beelink GT-King model we have also integrated 4GB DDR4 RAM board, a point that allows us to load several apps from the internal memory, now from the remote we can access this option with a double click on the Home button. This TV-Box with Android 9 Pie behaves well as a video player, for example with KODI or for powerful games such as PUBG and all kinds of Android apps. The firmware to be a first version is stable and quite complete although of course it has several facets that require improvement, sure Beelink will correct this as usual.
This TV-Box is stable and powerful, a perfectly valid model for users seeking power and the best price, the inclusion of a flymouse control with microphone by default is something that is appreciated.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS