Table of Contents
|Model||H96 Max Plus|
|Basic Specs||SoC: RK3328 Quad Core Cortex A-53 / GPU Mali-450MP2 / 4x ARM-A53 @ 1.3GHz|
System: Android 8.1 (64bit)
RAM and storage: 4 GB DDR3 – 32/64 GB eMMC
Network: Wifi b/g/n 2.4/5GHz – Ethernet 10/100
Ports: HDMI 2.0a 4K @ 60fps / AV Jack 3.5mm / 2x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 3.0 / microSD
Extras: Remote Control RF / Manual / Adapter DC 5V 2A / Manual English
|Check full specifications|
The TV-Box H96 Max Plus is made of plastic and has a box that we have seen in other products of the same brand, a box that does not have many ventilation slots and is not surprising in any way.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 3.8 x 3.8 x 1.2 inches (98 x 98 x 26 mm / 0.3 lb (120 gr)
- Interfaces: HDMI 2.0a 4K @ 60fps / AV Jack 3.5mm / 2x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 3.0 / microSD / Reset in audio jack
- Leds and panel: Frontal led status / No panel
- Package content: IR remote control with light / Manual / DC adapter 12V 3A Europlug / Manual in English.
- Remote control: The RF remote control with USB adapter is very simple and has a button to use the microphone with Google Assistant, we can only use it with this app and it does not work in other apps with search option like Youtube. We can control remotely from our mobile or Android TV-Box the system using the Cetusplay app or connect a flymouse, mouse or keyboard.
In the back we have the bulk of the audio and video connections. On the sides we have the data connectors, on the one hand we have two connectors 2x USB 3.0, SATA and on the other side 2x USB 2.0, SATA and reset.
Environment and user experience
We connect the H96 Max Plus and it starts up automatically, installed by default we have a simple launcher based on the classic boxes that we can easily handle with the remote control. We can load any app without problems thanks to the Quad Core RK3328 SoC and the 2GB of RAM, we must bear in mind that some leading games like PUBG are not available for this SoC. With the remote control we can use in the app Google Assistant, but we can not use the command to enter words in the search boxes, a very uncomfortable problem to perform searches.
- Launcher: Launcher based on squares, customizable lower row / We can change the launcher.
- Multitasking and access: There is no direct access to the task change / We do not have bar access or Android notifications.
- Installed apps: Streaming apps, highlight Google play, Netflix, AirPin, DLNA, Cleaner, RKMC, Prime video and YouTube.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
System, support and store apps
In the section of settings of the H96 Max Plus we have the classic side menu with all the usuall settings, we also have a special section called Advance Settings with specific settings for the TV-Box. The system is Android 8.1 Oreo (64bit) with kernel 4.4.12 that seems quite stable in our tests.
- System version: Android 8.1 (64 bit) with Kernel 4.4.12 (04-04-2018).
- Apps store: Google Play working with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Brand support: There is no responsible brand for this TV-Box, on our website we publish the firmware we found.
- Root and scene: The SI system is root. / There are no custom firmwares for this TV-Box.
Storage and RAM Memory
We perform our usual memory tests and internal storage in the H96 Max Plus using the SD bench app. The results are correct although of course quite basic since we are testing a low-cost product. Storage can not be expanded using the microSD card reader, there is no option in the system.
- Storage: Total 64GB – Free 53GB. / No option to expand
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR3L.
- Compatible formats: NTFS compatible / exFAT no compatible
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||22/20 MB/s||72/31 MB/s||25/14 MB/s||–|
WIFI and Bluetooth
In Wi-Fi connections, the H96 Max Plus TV-Box has a Wifi b/g/n 2.4/5GHz without Bluetooth with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speed for this wifi adapter, quite stable.
- Wifi range: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 52 dBm, correct but not excellent.
- Bluetooth: No.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC
Power consumption, temperature and noise
The H96 Max Plus TV-box using the SoC Rockhip RK3328 has correct results in terms of consumption. We are in front of a SoC of low consumption and these do not shoot much when using it with classic apps like Youtube or browsers.
We check the performance of the TV-Box in scenarios of maximum sustained performance and in its usual use, we use a stress app for fifteen minutes and thermal camera to detect hot areas. As we have seen, the TV-Box does not have many ventilation slots but it seems to hold up well in the performance tests.
- Loss of performance: the system maintains a maximum performance of 94%, there is a slight non-critical loss of performance.
- Temperature: The upper part heats up although it does not affect the general use of the TV-Box.
- Noise: Fanless system, 0db.
At performance level the H96 Max Plus has correct results in the line of the Rockchip RK3328 Quad Core SoC with Cortex-A53, in the graphic section the power of the Mali-450MP5 GPU is enough to move most games or Android apps, where it suffers is running the high load 3D titles. If we compare the results we can see how it falls below the powerful Amlogic S912 and Rockchip RK3399 SoC’s, in general, correct results for this type of SoC.
Games and gamepads
In the Android TV-Box H96 Max Plus we have the Rockchip RK3328 SoC that integrates a Mali-450MP5 GPU, this model allows us to correctly move most Android titles without performance problems and good compatibility. The games with a lot of 3D load are the ones that have frames drops in this GPU, so it is better to limit yourself to basic titles with little load.
- Compatibility: Is NO possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video and audio connections
As the engine of the H96 Max Plus we have the Rockchip RK3328 SoC a product that has support for video output by HDMI 2.0a which allows maximum resolution up to 4K@60fps with HDR information. We do not have SPDIF optical audio output only AV stereo jack with video output for 480p TV’s.
- Automatic refresh rate change: Not available. *
- Audio passthrough: Available in HDMI settings. *
- Image adjustments: Image quality settings / RGB mode. *
- Media sharing: Chromecast not / Miracast with poor results / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay with AirPin Pro app.
- HDMI CEC: Available in settings.
- * Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android
Video playback test
We performed our video playback tests on the Android TV-Box H96 Max Plus, a model that has the RK3328 SoC that integrates a VPU compatible with most modern video formats as we can see in the results. by default this TV-Box comes with a version of KODI called RKMC that is outdated, we recommend delete it and installing the latest official version from Google Play.
- Compatibility: HEVC with good performance at 10 bit color or HDR / VP9 simple (YouTube) but not P2 with HDR.
- You can read our Tutorial to install Addons in KODI in a simple way to get to watch the most popular streamings.
|BBB – H.264 8bit – Simple@L1 – 1080p@25fps – 7 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung Oceanic Life – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 1080p@30fps – 40 Mbps||Correct|
|Timelapse – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 4K@24fps – 43 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – H.264 10bit – High 10@L5.1 – 1080p@24fps – 10 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 Format|
|Tears of steel – HVEC 8bit – Main@L6.2@Main – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung UHD Dubai – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.2@Main – 4K@24fps – 51 Mbps||Correct|
|Jellyfish – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L6.1@High – 4K@30fps – 392 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Anime – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L4@Main – 1080p@24fps – 21 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Eye of the Storm – VP9 – 4K@24fps – 14 Mbps||Correct|
|Life of Pi HDR10 – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.1@High – 4K@24fps – 45 Mbps||Correct|
|LG Demo – Dolby Vision – HVEC 12bit – Main 10@L5@Main – 4K@24fps – 30 Mbps||Correct|
|Planet Earth II – HDR HLG 10bit – Main 10@L5@High – 4K@25fps – 31 Mbps||Correct|
|The world in HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 4K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Peru 8K HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 8K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
Audio playback test
Testing the H96 Max Plus using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that they support DD 7.1 and DTS 5.1 pass through sound. Remember that you have to indicate the connector to use in audio settings so that it sends the signal to the decoder.
- Ports: HDMI up to 7.1 / Audio jack stereo
- Certification: None.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD 5.1||DD+ 7.1||DD True 7.1||DD Atms 7.1||DTS 5.1||DTS MA 5.1||DTS HR 7.1||DTS X 7.1|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
We pass the classic tests on streaming services to see how the most popular services work. In this model as we can see in stores is advertised as compatible with Netflix HD and Youtube 4K but it is false, this is a TV-Box without any official certificate and offers us standard support with Netflix in SD and YouTube quality up to 1080p.
- WARNING: From AndroidPCtv we encourage you to report this type of fraudulent advertising and claim the stores, use our source.
UPDATED: Geekbuying has already removed the advertising with reference to Netflix HD.
- DRM: None
- NOTE: We remind this product do not have official support for these streaming apps, the compatibility with these services can vary depends of any new limitations imposed for this companies. The tests are perform with the indicated firmware and the version of the streaming app at the date of the review.
|Streaming service||Video Quality||Audio Quality||Result|
|Google Play Movies||–||–||Don’t work|
|HBO||HD (720p)||Stereo||Pause icon in the center of the screen|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p)||Stereo||OK|
- Guide for Netflix on Android, inside you can found a solution for Error 0013 and installation method on rooted devices
- Guide for Amazon Prime video on Android
As we have seen in our review, the H96 Max Plus is another model in the universe of low-cost products in this sector. A model that has a interesting hardware because it has 4GB of RAM and options with 32 or 64GB of internal storage, although as we have seen the internal storage is quite slow. By default this model has a RF remote control with integrated microphone with which we can give orders to Google Assitant but as usual it is not very well implemented because we can not perform searches on other apps like YouTube.
Undoubtedly the controversial point of this H96 Max Plus is that it is advertised in some stores with support Netflix HD and YouTube 4K that as we have verified is simply FALSE (Updated: Geekbuying has already removed the advertising with reference to Netflix HD), we are before a generic TV-Box in this aspect and the quality of the services is the usual, we will see Netflix in SD and Youtube quality in FullHD quality. We recommend directly claiming if we expected to see these services as reflected in their advertising, it is necessary for stores to avoid this type of misleading advertising and not to sell these types of products. In general as we can see is a totally generic product.