The TV-Box Mecool K6 comes inside a cardboard box with magnetic lid and logo of the brand on top, inside we have the TV-Box, remote control, HDMI 2.0 cable, small manual first steps and power adapter 12V 1A.
This TV-Box comes with a IR remote control, a very basic model with direct access to the functions of the tuners, it has a key to move the pointer on the screen using the central crossarm.
- Remote Control: Only basic IR remote for basic functionalities. for DVT or KODI. We can improve the control with other alternatives.
- Voice control: Not available by default, see previous alternatives.
- Alternate control: We can control remotely using the app Cetusplay / Don’t have its own remote control app.
The TV-Box Mecool K6 has a black box with the logo on top. In the front we have a LED Panel with information of the tuned channel and the connections that illuminates when connecting it. Highlights the USB 3.0 port on one side, we also have HDMI 2.0 connector up to 4K@60fps, AV jack, USB 2.0, microSD reader and power connector. To access the reset button we have to open the box because the reset is in the back area just covered by the plastic grid, below the smallest slot.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 170 x 130 x 30 mm / 230 gr.
- Package contents: IR remote control / HDMI cable / Manual / DC 12V 1A adapter (2x AAA batteries not included).
- Interfaces: HDMI 2.0 4K@60fps / AV Jack 3.5mm / Jack AV / 1x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 3.0 / MicroSD / Reset.
- Leds and panel: Frontal LED Panel hour or channel / Can’t turn off.
When opening the TV-Box we can see the Wifi AC + NO Bluetooth (RTL8811CU) chip that has a fairly large external antenna. The cooling system consists of a simple metallic heatsink attached to the SoC, a fairly basic design that we will see how it behaves in thermal tests with such a closed box and tuners.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the Mecool K6 to the DC adapter, it boots automatically with an animation and the front led panel lights up. We arrived at the launcher by default based on pictures, we can customize the lower area by adding icons of direct access to the apps we want, little more customizable. The system does NOT have a lower and upper navigation bar, something that limits the functionalities to the environment. The correct performance level of desktop or with basic apps, the Android 7 system works well without forced closed apps.
- Launcher: Android 7 Launcher / YES we can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: NO notification system / NO multitasking available.
- Installed apps: Google play, Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, Manual, Settings, AirPin, MXPlayer, DLNA y TVCenter (KODI).
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
We check the system data within the Android settings and through analysis software, we can see the details of the system installed by default, in this case in Android 7 with support for 32bit apps, the system is is NOT Root.
- System version: Android 7 (32 bit) / Kernel 3.18.24 / Build 2019-04-03 / Reference Bigfish.
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Settings and root: Lateral Android settings / The system IS NOT root by default / NO menu to activate it in settings.
- Support: Mecool don’t have website for direct support / Firmware not available / Custom firmware not available
Power and performance
At power level the Mecool K6 has acceptable results and moves the system smoothly, we can run the classic apps but the powerful games if they feel something just power. At power level it has some basic results, the Hisilicon HI3798MV200 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and GPU Mali-450 MP2 is in the low range. This SoC is manufactured in 28nm has a contained consumption, temperatures have high peaks and in general use with the tuned it is advisable to have it in a cool place.
- Consumption: Off 0W / Standby 7.5W / Basic use 8.3W / Maximum 9.5W
- Thermals: Minimum 50ºC / Maximum 75ºC / Maintains performance up to 79% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
Observing the performance tests we can see how the Hisilicon HI3798MV200 SoC is almost on par with Amlogic S905X or Rockchip RK3328 SoC’s of the previous generation, in general section is below other SoC as the current Amlogic S905X2 that has better GPU and is made in 12nm.
This model is not compatible with PUBG because the lack of OpenGL ES 3.1 support. A valid processor to run games and emulators at the basic level without reaching the top of details.
- Games and emulators: IS NOT possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable but NO bluetooth.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
In the TV-Box Mecool K6 we have integrated eMMC memory as internal storage, USB 3.0 ports and SD card reader. In the network section we have a Wifi AC + NO Bluetooth (RTL8811CU) and Ethernet 10/100 port. The performance of the Wifi chip is correct but to have an external antenna the reception could be better.
- Storage: Total 16GB – Free 10GB / eMMC / NTFS + exFAT compatible / NO expandable with USB or SD to expand
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR3.
- Network: OK speed with one external wifi antenna / Range 42 dBm, low. / Bluetooth NO.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||20/17 MB/s||111/36 MB/s||18/19 MB/s||–|
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
Regarding the video playback section, the Mecool K6 has the HI3798MV200 SoC and a VPU compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 up to native 4K resolution. It has a processor pair is exclusive to Himedia dedicated to the treatment of the image on the one hand we have the Imprex 2.0 engine that we can activate or deactivate from the menus of the native player and is responsible for fine tuning the image and for another HiVEX 2.0 that is dedicated to decoding all the formats that we can find in the current panorama. Something that has disappointed us is that the automatic refresh rate option does NOT work, we have an error and it shows in the default screen refresh without changing.
- Settings and HDMI-CEC: YES image quality settings / RGB and SDR modes NOT available / HDMI-CEC NOT available
- Automatic refresh rate change: Available but NOT work.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay with AirPin.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
- Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
We passed several tests of multimedia playback with the Mecool K6 we verified that it works efficiently using the new Himedia HI3798MV200 SoC, which has support of video output by HDMI 2.0 that allows maximum resolution up to 4K@60fps with HDR information and is also compatible with HLG .
- Ports: HDMI 2.0 4K@60fps / Jack AV.
- Max. bitrate: 100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Low Frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
For testing the audio in the Mecool K6 we use a Yamaha AV receiver, we check that they supports DD 5.1 pass through sound, DTS and 7.1 audio files have problems. If we do not have an AV receiver to listen the files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / Stereo Jack
- Passthrough and certification: Available in settings / DD certificates / NO Chromecast audio.
- Tutorial: Multi channel audio configuration in Android devices
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core / –||–||-*|
|Optical||OK / –||OK / –||–||-*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we see how the most popular services work. The Mecool K6 presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily it seems that if it is compatible with most services even if they are in their most basic SD quality
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullSD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
Start-up and management
The TV-Box Mecool K6 have installed DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and DVB-C tuners, to manage and view content we have the DTV app, a very simple to use app that guides us throughout the process of putting March. When starting it, an installation assistant is shown where we select the system that we want to configure.
- Installation: Complete configuration of DVB-S2 satellites and zones for DVB-T2 / C.
- DVT Preferences: Management of PVR recordings, child control, network, A / V, EPG and favorites settings.
- EPG: control of the EPG grid, programming from the grid, access by key on the remote control.
- Channel manager: Channel management, favorites and recording schedule.
At the swap level between the different channels we have a good speed and we can access all the functions in a fluid way, the EPG list is updated normally. Within the list we can control our favorite channels to access quickly, we can not sort by channel number directly.
- Channel management: Live list, EPG, Favorites and manager to schedule recordings.
Image and audio quality
We verify that at the reproduction level we have an excellent image quality and without jumps even in the 4K channels, the system is compatible with AC3 audio and we can listen to the content of those channels. From the app we can also record the content of the broadcast in its original quality up to 4K.
- Image and audio quality: Up to 4K in playback and recording / Supports AC3 sound.
Integrated steaming and servers
The model Mecool K6, has an interesting default option that allows us to perform streaming over IP in our home network, we just have to activate it in the DTV Preferences > IP Stream Setting configuration menu. We can access streaming in several ways using the VLC program on PC.
- VLC> Media> Open Network stream> http://192.168.0.XXX:20000/**0:0:YYY** (XXX being our IP and YYY the channel number)
- Also from the IP Stream menu we have the option to export the complete list in TXT mode and M3U in a USB memory
As usual in these devices we always have an option to activate servers that give us access to several services, in this case it is necessary to install an APK and enter a code in the DTV app menu.
- Install the Supercam APK and restart the DTV program (more details in Geekbuying)
- Once we install the supercam app we can activate the Smart Data Manager menu, inside the Installation menu we must press six times 1 (111111) to show this new option
After review the TV-Box Mecool K6 we can say that this is a quite interesting model based on Hisilicon HI3798MV200 SoC. A good hardware for multimedia use that includes as an interesting point USB 3.0 support, Wifi dual band adapter with external antenna and 10/100 Ethernet port that could be Gigabit. This SoC gives to us a very good image quality and support for multichannel sound, on the other hand the automatic refresh change does not work and the multichannel sound stays in DD 5.1 functions that in other devices with this SoC if they work.
The Mecool K6 has 2GB of RAM which allows us to run apps without problems but limits us to load a large number of apps in memory. A model that has tuners DVB-S2/T2/C and that has a some high thermals, seem not to affect the basic use but it is not advised to leave it locked or make use of powerful games. The installed system is Android 7, this model does not have Android navigation bars, nor account root selector or other extra options.
This is TV-Box an interesting for its receivers and video / audio quality, although as we see it has some missing options like Ethernet 10/100 only and the box does not ventilate everything it should. Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS