|Basic Specs||SoC: Amlogic S905X2 Quad Core Cortex A-53 (64bit) / GPU Mali-G31 MP2 / 4x ARM-A53 @ 1.8GHz|
System: Android 8.1 Oreo (32bit)
Ram and storage: 4 GB DDR4 – 32/64 GB eMMC (32GB in review)
Network: Wifi Dual band – Bluetooth 4.1 – Gigabit Ethernet
Ports: HDMI 2.1 4K@75fps / AV Jack 3.5mm / SPDIF / 1x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 3.0 / MicroSD
Extras: IR remote control / HDMI cable / Manual / DC 5V 2A adapter
|Check full specifications|
The TV-Box Sunvell T95Q undoubtedly stands out for its peculiar round box, at the top it has the logo of the model as the only decoration. Another highlight is the green LED lighting strip as a decoration that is illuminated with a slow beat , it can not be turned off in any way within the system settings.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 4.7 x 0.8 inch (120 x 20 mm) / 6.3 oz (180 gr)
- Package contents: Manual / Adapter DC 5V 2A / HDMI cable / IR remote control (2x AAA batteries not included).
- Interfaces: HDMI 2.1 4K@75fps / AV Jack (reset inside) / SPDIF / 1x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 3.0 / MicroSD
- Leds and panel: Green perimeter LED
- Remote control: The basic IR control with copying keys for other commands.
- Alternative remote control: We can control remotely from our mobile or Android TV-Box using the app Cetusplay or connect a flymouse, mouse or keyboard.
In the back side we have the bulk of the connectors, as a novelty with this SoC we have USB 3.0 port, another USB 2.0, AV jack (with the flash button inside), round power connector, Gigabit Ethernet port, HDMI 2.1 compatible video output 4K@75fps HDR, optical audio output and microSD slot. In the lower part we have ventilation slots and three rubber feet.
Environment and user experience
We start the Sunvell T95Q by connecting it to the power source, it turns on automatically and the green led circle lights up. After a pretty psychedelic input animation we get to the default launcher based on the classic squares, we can only customize the lower bar with the shortcuts that interest us. The system moves very smoothly and quickly between the apps, there are no hardware performance problems thanks to the SoC S905X2 and the 4GB of DDR4 RAM.
- Launcher: Basic Launcher / YES we can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking not available directly / No lower access bar and notification area.
- Installed apps: Google play, Netflix, several streaming apps, modified Kodi, Airpin and Youtube.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: Pressing the power off button brings up a Restart or Shutdown menu.
System, support and store apps
Regarding the settings the Sunvell T95Q has three different settings menus, one the classic side menu with global android settings, another with TV-Box settings and finally the Android classics with the background in white. The Google Play store behaves normally and we can find the most common apps. The version of the system and the compilation of the kernel is quite new.
- System version: Android 8.1.0 (32 bit) / Kernel 4.9.61 (11-09-2018).
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Brand support: This model does not have brand support, we will publish the firmwares that we find on the network.
- Root and scene: The system IS rooted / There are no custom firmwares for this TV-Box / NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
Storage and RAM Memory
We perform our usual memory tests and internal storage in the Sunvell T95Q using the SD bench app. As we can see in the tests, the internal storage speed is good, which makes the system show fast. We also have as a novelty with a USB 3.0 port that allows us much higher reading speeds than the classic USB 2.0 although the writing does not reach the maximum of this type of ports. Sometimes when we connecting a hard drive to the USB port the box has rebooted.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 24GB. / Is expandable with a USB memory stick
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Compatible formats: NTFS compatible / exFAT compatible
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||22/21 MB/s||152/31 MB/s||22/21 MB/s||–|
WIFI and Bluetooth
In Wi-Fi connections, the Sunvell T95Q TV-Box has a Wifi a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz without Bluetooth 4.1 with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speed for this wifi adapter, quite stable.
- Wifi range: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 41 dBm, correct values.
- Bluetooth: We can connect compatible devices without problems.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Power consumption, temperature and noise
The power consumption of the Android TV Sunvell T95Q using the Amlogic S905X2 SoC has very good results in terms of efficiency, this new SoC manufactured in 12nm has a maximum consumption of only 5W which is lower than the previous S905X.
We check the performance of the TV-Box in scenarios of maximum sustained performance and in its usual use, we use a stress app for fifteen minutes and thermal camera to detect hot areas. As we have seen the Sunvell T95Q has no ventilation slots but the heat sink system works perfectly.
- Loss of performance: The system maintains a maximum constant performance, there is very little loss of performance.
- Temperature: The upper part heats up a little but does not affect the general use of the TV-Box.
- Noise: Fanless system, 0db.
As for power, the Sunvell T95Q has very good results and leaves the new Amlogic S905X2 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and Mali-G31 MP2 GPU in a very good position. If we compare the results we can see it at the same level of the most powerful Amlogic S912 SoC, this processor goes below the powerful models like the Rockchip RK3399 that already integrates Cortex-A73 cores, in general an excellent product by the price that this TV-Box has.
- You can read our Comparison article for Amlogic S905X2 SoC with all its technical details
Games and gamepads
In the gaming aspect the Sunvell T95Q have the Amlogic S905L SoC that integrates a Mali-450MP5 GPU, this model allows us to correctly move most Android titles without performance problems and good compatibility. The games with a high 3D load also move quite well and this GPU allows us to play them correctly in low or medium settings.
- Compatibility: IS possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video and audio connections
In terms of multimedia playback, the Sunvell T95Q behaves perfectly using the S905X2 SoC, a product that supports HDMI 2.1 video output that theoretically allows maximum resolution up to 4K@75fps with HDR information. We also have SPDIF optical audio output and AV jack for old stereo or TV audio.
As a novelty in this SoC we verify that we have image quality settings with brightness, contrast and saturation, and several preconfigured modes but they do not seem to take effect when selecting them. It also has DNR “Digital Noise Reduction” that effects a smoothing effect of the image with results that depend on personal tastes. We also have specific settings to activate Dolby Vision if we have a compatible TV.
- Automatic refresh rate change: Not available, the settings exist but it does not work. *
- Audio passthrough: Available in audio settings. *
- Image adjustments: Image quality settings exists but don’t work / RGB mode / HDR <> SDR modes. *
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay no.
- HDMI CEC: Available in settings.
- * Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
Video playback test
We passed our video playback tests on the Sunvell T95Q, a device that integrates the S905X2 SoC and a VPU compatible with most modern video formats as we see in the video tests. We can use players like MX Player or install KODI from Google Play, we can uninstall the pre installed without problems. This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
The new engine of the VPU called TruLife Gen8 gives us a pretty good image quality, we have more defined colors than in the S905X models where video processing is basic. We must also highlight the best compatibility with VP9 P2 video in 4K resolution, plus we notice improvements in the playback of Anime HVEC but still charge the CPU.
- Compatibility: HEVC with good performance at 10 bit color or HDR / VP9 correct with P2, not compatible with 8K
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|H.264 / VC-1||Result|
|BBB – H.264 8bit – Simple@L1 – 1080p@25fps – 7 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung Oceanic Life – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 1080p@30fps – 40 Mbps||Correct|
|Timelapse – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 4K@24fps – 43 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – H.264 10bit – High 10@L5.1 – 1080p@24fps – 10 Mbps||Correct|
|MKV – VC-1 – Advance@L3 – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 SDR|
|Tears of steel – HVEC 8bit – Main@L6.2@Main – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung UHD Dubai – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.2@Main – 4K@24fps – 51 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L4@Main – 1080p@24fps – 21 Mbps||Correct|
|Eye of the Storm – VP9 – 4K@24fps – 14 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 HDR|
|Life of Pi HDR10 – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.1@High – 4K@24fps – 45 Mbps||Correct|
|LG Demo – Dolby Vision – HVEC 12bit – Main 10@L5@Main – 4K@24fps – 30 Mbps||Correct|
|Planet Earth II – HDR HLG 10bit – Main 10@L5@High – 4K@25fps – 31 Mbps||Correct|
|The world in HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 4K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Correct|
|Peru 8K HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 8K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Jellyfish – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L6.1@High – 4K@30fps – Test up to 400 Mbps||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bitrate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or wifi used, we have used the fastest available, see Hardware tests section of this same review to have more information and have consider the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
Testing the Sunvell T95Q using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that they supports DD and DTS pass through sound. We can only listen to the multi-channel audio up to 5.1, if we do not have an AV receiver and we have problems to listen to files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / Optical output SPDIF up to 5.1 / Stereo audio jack
- Certification: No
- Chomecast Audio: No
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK||OK / Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
We pass the classic tests on streaming services to see how the most popular services work. In this model does not have certificates for these services. The Sunvell T95Q model presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services, as it does not have notification bars, it also presents some classic problem of this type of configuration.
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Netflix on Android|
|HBO Nordic||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||Pause icon lock in the middle of the screen||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video on Android|
Sunvell T95Q _
DESIGN AND CONNECTIVITY7.5/10
- S905X2 SoC with improvements
- Firmware Android 8.1 stable
- Wifi and Ethernet Gigabit works fine
- 4GB DDR4 and fast eMMC
- Low price
- No Android notification or quick access
- When connects a USB drive sometimes reboots
As we have verified the new Sunvell T95Q offers us an interesting device for the price, we have a TV-Box with the latest Amlogic S905X2 SoC that brings us interesting improvements in several aspects. In this model we now have USB 3.0 and a pretty good network connectivity performance through Wifi or the Gigabit Ethernet port. We have also been surprised by the speed of internal storage that is noticeable when using the system, the 4GB of DDR4 RAM also help without a doubt. A model that works perfectly as a video player with improvements in image quality, for KODI or for games and apps.
The Sunvell T95Q despite with the releasing of the new Amlogic S905X2 SoC has a fairly stable and solid firmware, something that is not very common when we are with the first versions of a new SDK, the Android 8.1 system runs normally and we only have some small graphic glitches in some apps. It should be noted that if we do not have quick access bars and Android notifications what tarnishes a little the final result. In general we have a TV-Box with good results that debuts the new SoC of Amlogic quite decently.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS