Table of Contents
The TV-Box UncoreX 2.0 comes inside a cardboard box with the brand logo on the top, inside we have the TV-Box, remote control, HDMI 2.0 cable, small first-step manual and 12V 1.5A power adapter. The IR control is a correct model for this type of devices with all the integrated controls for the tuners and we can program the Function key from the settings to launch the app that interests us.
- Remote Control: Only basic IR remote for basic functionalities for DVT or KODI. We can improve the control with other alternatives.
- Voice control: Not available by default, see previous alternatives.
- Alternate control: We can control remotely using the app Cetusplay / Don’t have its own remote control app.
The TV-Box UncoreX 2.0 has a metal box with many vents holes. On the front we have an LED Panel with tuned channel information or the current time. At the connector level, its USB 3.0 port stands out, we also have HDMI 2.0 connector up to 4K@60fps, AV jack, USB 2.0, 10/100 Ethernet, DVB SAT, DVB TDT and power connector. It has a reset button on the back directly accessible.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 170 x 110 x 40 mm / 210 gr.
- Package contents: IR remote control / HDMI cable / Manual / DC 12V 1.5A adapter (2x AAA batteries not included).
- Interfaces: HDMI 2.0a 4K@60fps / AV Jack / USB 2.0 / USB 3.0 / Ethernet 10/100 / DVB SAT / DVB TDT / Reset
- Leds and panel: Frontal LED Panel hour or channel / Can’t turn off.
When opening the TV-Box we can see the Wifi AC + Bluetooth 4.0 (RTL8811CU), It has one external antenna fixed to the outer shell. The cooling system consists of a simple metallic heatsink attached to the SoC, a fairly basic design that we will see how it behaves in the thermal tests.
When opening the TV-Box we can see the Wifi AC MIMO + Bluetooth 4.1 (RTL8822BU) which has a fairly large external antenna and another internal antenna attached to the housing. We can also see the tuner hardware based on the Availink AVL6762TA DVB-T2 / C / S2X processor quite widespread. The cooling system consists of a simple metal heatsink attached to the SoC, a fairly basic design that we will see how it behaves in thermal tests.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the UncoreX 2.0 and boots automatically with an animation and the front LED Panel illuminates with the basic information. The system installed by default is Android TV 8, a version of Android focused on its use on television screen and use with remote control where we see that the brand has installed several streaming apps. The performance is good and the system moves fast, for normal use we will notice it fluid.
- Launcher: Android TV 8 Launcher / NO option to change launcher / Android UI rendering at 1080p (Settings available).
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking available leaving press Home / Android TV notifications in the upper area.
- Installed apps: Google play, Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, Cajon de apps, IPTV, Live TV, DLNA and Stalker.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: The power off button only leaves standby / NOT configurable in settings.
We observe the specifications of the system within the Android settings and through analysis software we can see the detailed data of the firmware. In this case we have Android TV 8 with support for 32bit apps, the system is NOT ROOT. We have OTA updates that correct some detected bugs and that are automatically downloaded as soon as you turn it on.
- System version: Android TV 8 (32 bit) / Kernel 4.9.44 / Build 2019-07-02 / Reference Shield.
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Settings and root: Lateral Android settings / The system IS NOT root by default / NO menu to activate it in settings.
- Support: UncoreX site for direct support / Firmware available / Custom firmware not available
Network, storage, RAM and ports
In the TV-Box UncoreX 2.0 we have integrated eMMC memory as internal storage, USB 3.0 ports and SD card reader. In the network section we have a Wifi AC MIMO + Bluetooth 4.1 (RTL8822BU) and Ethernet 10/100 port. The performance of the Wifi chip is correct thanks to its two external and internal antennas. In the system settings we have the option to mount a SAMBA Server to share files on the network.
- Storage: Total 16GB – Free 10GB / eMMC / NTFS + exFAT compatible / NO expandable with USB or SD to expand
- RAM: Total 2GB – Free 1GB / DDR3.
- Network: OK speed with two wifi antenna / Range 42 dBm, good. / Bluetooth ok.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||20/17 MB/s||111/36 MB/s||18/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At power level the UncoreX 2.0 has acceptable results and moves the system smoothly, we can run the classic apps but the powerful games if they feel something just power. At power level it has some basic results, the Hisilicon HI3798MV200 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and GPU Mali-450 MP2 is in the low range.
- Consumption: Off 0W / Standby 7.5W / Basic use 8.3W / Maximum 9.5W
- Thermals: Minimum 50ºC / Maximum 75ºC / Maintains performance up to 79% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
This SoC is manufactured in 28nm has a contained consumption and temperatures do not have high peaks as we see in the tests. As always in general use with those tuned it is advisable to have it in a cool place.
- Consumption: Idle 0.5W / Standby 5.8W / Basic use 7.1W / Maximum 12W.
- Thermal: Minimum 50ºC / Maximum 69ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Superior heating / 0db of noise.
Observing the performance tests we can see how the Hisilicon HI3798MV200 SoC is almost on par with Amlogic S905X or Rockchip RK3328 SoC’s of the previous generation, in general section is below other SoC as the current Amlogic S905X2 that has better GPU and is made in 12nm.
This model is not compatible with PUBG because the lack of OpenGL ES 3.1 support. A valid processor to run games and emulators at the basic level without reaching the top of details.
- Games and emulators: IS NOT possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
Regarding the video playback section, the UncoreX 2.0 has the HI3798MV200 SoC and a VPU compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 up to native 4K resolution. It has a processor pair is exclusive to Himedia dedicated to the treatment of the image on the one hand we have the Imprex 2.0 engine that we can activate or deactivate from the menus of the native player and is responsible for fine tuning the image and for another HiVEX 2.0 that is dedicated to decoding all the formats that we can find in the current panorama. Something that has disappointed us is that the automatic refresh rate option does NOT work, we have an error and it shows in the default screen refresh without changing.
By default comes without KODI installed but we can install it from Google Play without problems, with the KODI series player we are limited to 5.1 audio and we do not have 3D support, HDR or menu navigation. We can change the default player with the Wrapper app and use the native Himedia player to have the best results with this hardware.
- Settings and HDMI-CEC: YES image quality settings / RGB and SDR modes NOT available / HDMI-CEC available
- Automatic refresh rate change: Available but NOT work.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay with AirPin.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
- Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
We passed several tests of multimedia playback with the UncoreX 2.0 we verified that it works efficiently using the new Himedia HI3798MV200 SoC, which has support of video output by HDMI 2.0 that allows maximum resolution up to 4K@60fps with HDR information and is also compatible with HLG .
- Ports: HDMI 2.0 4K@60fps / Jack AV.
- Max. bitrate: 100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Low Frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
For testing the audio in the UncoreX 2.0 we use a Yamaha AV receiver, we check that they supports DD 5.1 pass through sound, DTS and 7.1 audio files have problems. If we do not have an AV receiver to listen the files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / Stereo Jack
- Passthrough and certification: Available in settings / DD certificates / NO Chromecast audio.
- Tutorial: Multi channel audio configuration in Android devices
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||OK / Core||Core||Core*|
|Optical||OK / –||OK / Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we check how the most popular services work. The UncoreX 2.0 model has DRM certificates, as we can see it supports Netflix 4K with the official app, this is achieved by posing as an NVidia Shield, a peculiar system but it seems to work well for now. We also have Prime Video and HBO support in HD quality with its native Android TV apps with the IR remote control.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Microsoft Playready
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||4K (2060p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||4K (2060p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, needs a mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
Start-up and management
The TV-Box UncoreX 2.0, series account with tuners DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and DVB-C, to manage and view content we have the Live TV app, a very simple to use app that guides us throughout the process of setup it. When starting it, an installation assistant is shown where we select the system that we want to configure.
- TV: Access to tuners or IPTV app
- EPG: control of the EPG grill, programming from the grill, access from the key on the remote control.
- Setup: Complete configuration of DVB-S2X, DVB-T2 / C satellites, network, PVR and parental controls.
From the remote control the jump between the different channels has a good speed and we can access all the functions smoothly and the EPG list is updated normally. Within the list we can control our favorite channels to access quickly although we cannot sort by channel number directly.
- Channel management: Live list in two modes, EPG, Favorites and manager to schedule recordings.
Image and audio quality
We verify that at the reproduction level we have an excellent image quality and without jumps even in the 4K channels, the system is compatible with AC3 audio and we can listen to the content of those channels. From the app we can also record the content of the broadcast in its original quality up to 4K.
- Image and audio quality: Up to 4K in playback and recording / Supports AC3 sound.
Integrated steaming and servers
This model has default servers configured, we do not have to enter any data just follow the indicated process and we can see the channels without any complications.
- Press the Menu key and type 2580, the word “Success!” And we can see the channels.
After the review the UncoreX 2.0 TV-Box we can say that we are facing a very interesting model based on the Hisilicon HI3798MV200 SoC. A high-level hardware for multimedia use that includes Android TV 8 as an interesting point with Netflix 4K support and other services such as HBO and Prime HD video. We also have USB 3.0, network Wifi dual-band adapter with external + internal antenna and 10/100 Ethernet port that could be Gigabit. This SoC gives us a very good image quality and support for multichannel sound, on the other hand the automatic refresh does not work.
The UncoreX 2.0 has 2GB of RAM something that allows us to run apps without problems but limits us to load a lot of apps in memory. This Box has DVB-S2X/T2/C tuners and it has a fairly controlled thermal, yet it is not advised to leave it locked because the tuners generate heat. A model that also has a very worked firmware and with many options, we also have OTA support for updates.
This small TV-Box interesting for its receivers, firmware and 4K/HD stream services, it hurts that it has some cuts such as Ethernet and lacks flymouse to be perfect.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS