Every day more of us we use Android on big TV screens at a distance far away where the default settings of this system do not fit very well. To avoid these problems Google designed the Android TV system where all the elements on the screen are bigger, including the captions and the pointer if we connect a mouse. In the classic Android that we find in most TV-Box these two points are not designed for large screens and we have to resort to the modifications that we are going to comment on. A few tricks that will go very well for those who want to see content on VOS in services such as HBO and YouTube.
Table of Contents
Android apps can modify the size of subtitles in two ways, one using the settings of the app itself and another by modifying them from the Android system settings.
- Netflix, Amazon prime video : use their own subtitle settings within the app
- HBO and Youtube : use the native Android settings to modify the subtitles
NATIVE ANDROID SETTINGS FOR SUBTITLES
Depending on the version of Android that we have or can not access these settings, if we do not have them available we can use an alternative as we will discuss later. In the case of having the native settings for captions they will control all the aspects in compatible programs, the final result is quite good as we will see, here you can see a comparison.
To modify the size of the subtitles in Android we have to go to the section Settings> Accessibility
Inside we go to the section Captions
Inside we will find all the settings for the subtitles to modify the size, font, color, shadow and background. In the upper part we can see the final result of how the subtitles will be in compatible apps like HBO and YouTube.
These settings are also modified by the size of the font that we have defined globally in Android, we can see it in Settings> Accessibility> Screen size.
ALTERNATE ANDROID SETTINGS FOR SUBTITLES
There are Android systems that do not have the advanced accessibility settings, in order to change the font size we will have to do it globally, which is somewhat annoying since it changes all the sources on the screen and not only the subtitles, but It is a valid alternative before we go blind. To change the font size of the system and thus affect the streaming apps like HBO and Youtube we can install the Big Font app and adjust the system as we are interested.
CHANGE MOUSE POINTER SIZE
To modify the size of the mouse pointer in Android we have to go to the section Settings> Accessibility> Large mouse pointer
- NOTE: If the firmware don’t have this option by default is not possible tho change de pointer size
OTHER VIDEO AND AUDIO TUTORIALS
- How to improve dark scenes in video playback on a Android TV-Box
- Apps to remote control for your mini PC with Windows using Android or iOS
- CetusPlay the remote control app compatible with all the Android TV-Boxes
- Basic concepts and configuration for multichannel audio on Windows and Android
- SAMBA on Android, connection with Windows and alternatives
- LibreELEC a quick installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android