Beelink GTi i5-8259U is a new and powerful mini PC of the Beelink brand that today we present on his review, a valid device for desktop work and light gaming to some extent.
This new mini PC integrates the Intel Core i5-8259U processor, with an interesting Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU, also comes with a module of 16 GB of RAM DDR4, a 512GB M.2 NVMe disk and we can expand it with another SATA 2.5″ or M.2 2280 disk. The operating system installed is Windows 10 Pro and we have a fingerprint reader to unlock it easily, with the hardware included we can use it for office work, multimedia, browsing or using desktop apps without problems. Let’s see how this device behaves in our review.
Table of Contents
The new Beelink GTi i5-8259U comes in a cardboard box with the classic Beelink brand design. Inside we find the main computer, HDMI cables (long and short), 19V 3A charger and VESA snap-in bracket.
This mini PC Beelink GTi i5-8259U has a careful design, we have the Beelink logo in the upper area and the fingerprint reader to unlock Windows. On the front we have a status LED on the power button, audio jack, BIOS reset button (do not touch), two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 3.0 Type-C for data only. Along with the mini PC we have a standard VESA bracket that fits perfectly with the computer case without the need for screws.
On the motherboard of this mini PC we find the latest generation Wifi 6 + BT 5.1 adapter (Intel AX200D2WL) with two internal antennas. When we open we observe a plate that supports a 2.5″ SATA disk, if we disassemble it we see that it is used as a heatsink for the M.2 2280 NVMe disk installed and next to it we have another free M.2 2280 SATA slot.
- Networking: Wifi 6 + BT 5.1 (Intel AX200D2WL) with two internal antennas / 2x Gigabit Ethernet.
- Expansions: 1x M.2 2280 / 1x SATA 2.5″ / 2x SODIMM.
- Extras: VESA support.
In the lower internal area we have two blower fans that pass air through two pipes and copper radiators that serve as a cooling system. As we will see a sufficient system to keep temperatures low in all scenarios, two fans that also have a low noise level on desktop but somewhat high in games.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and user experience
We start the Beelink GTi i5-8259U by pressing the front power button and as the specifications indicate we have Windows 10 Pro 64bit properly activated and the device list has all its drivers installed correctly. The environment moves very well thanks to the 16 GB of RAM, it is possible to load a large number of browser tabs without loss of performance. A perfectly valid computer for office, multimedia and medium-level editing programs.
- OS Version installed: Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
- Software pre-installed: None.
- Tutorials mini PC: Control the mini PC with your Smartphone / Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to SSD
Networks, Storage, RAM and Ports
In the network adapters section of the Beelink GTi i5-8259U mini PC we have an integrated Wifi 6 + BT 5.1 (Intel AX200D2WL) wireless adapter and two Gigabit Ethernet ports. We tested the speed of the NVMe disk storage installed by default and observed that it behaves normally. We also tested the 16GB of LPDDR4 2400 MHz RAM that comes standard in Dual Channel configuration, it is possible to increase the speed in the BIOS.
- USB ports: There are four USB 3.0 Type-A ports and one USB 3.0 Type-C port.
- Network performance: Good speed with two internal Wifi antennas. / Range 40 dBm, OK. / Bluetooth OK.
- Tutorials mini PC: Install Windows 10 / Migrate Windows to a SSD / Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks
Processor, performance and thermal
In the Beelink GTi i5-8259U mini PC we have installed an Intel Core i5-8259U processor manufactured in 14nm with four cores and four threads of execution that moves between 2.3 and 3.8 GHz and an Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU up to 1.05 MHz with 96 EU. This chip has a maximum power consumption of 20/28 W TDP, the results are correct within this generation and as we see is at the level of more modern models with similar consumption. A mini PC that works perfectly for browsing, multimedia playback with KODI, office use at user level and even with design applications at a good level.
- If you want to know some models in this comparative you can read their detailed reviews on this link.
As we can see in the performance tests of the Beelink GTi i5-8259U is quite equal in computing power with the AMD Ryzen 5 3550H found in other mini PCs, where we notice a low numbers in performance is in the graphics power. The installed Iris Plus 655 GPU, although it is one of the most powerful Intel integrated GPUs, does not reach the performance of AMD’s Vega.
As for the thermal section the system keeps the temperature controlled in a normal desktop use and the fan system is not annoying, the 14nm are efficient but are already exceeded. If we start playing demanding titles we do have a temperature increase and the fans are somewhat annoying if we have them close.
- Power consumption: Off 0.9W / Standby 9W / Basic use 30W / Max. 52W.
- Thermal: Idle 47ºC / Basic use 56ºC / Maximum 70ºC / CPU 3.4 GHz max / Performance up to 100%.
- Gaming performance: Fortnite 79ºC / CPU 2.9 GHz on average.
- Noise: 32dBA Min – 51dBA Max / Quiet enough, somewhat annoying in powerful games.
- Fans: NOT adjustable in BIOS.
We performed our gaming performance test on the Beelink GTi i5-8259U and the results are in line with this type of product and the Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU is perfectly valid for simple games and we can also run some demanding games at low settings. In terms of emulators at most we are left with some simple Wii titles and we can also play games with low settings 3D titles like Fornite or similar.
- Setting: High quality / 1080p resolution / No VSync / PUBG Lite configuration guide.
- On models with integrated Intel HD GPU on low and 720p resolution.
Performance test in Fornite, with the graphic settings in low quality with 1080p resolution, as we can see it is playable. Titles with a similar level of demand will also have to adjust them in low quality or pass 720p. If we are mainly interested in the Gaming section is better to go for a mini PC with a discrete GPU.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TESTS
In terms of video playback the Beelink GTi i5-8259U mini PC has an integrated Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU which has a VPU with hardware support for HEVC codec and basic VP9. In this processor it has support for 10bit color, but it does not have native HDR support by default and reduces colors to SD level. This mini PC is perfectly valid as a multimedia system to use KODI, IPTV or to use it with PLEX.
- Video outputs: Double output HDMI 1.4K@30fps + DP 1.2 4K@60fps / Adjust image quality in our TV.
- Audio outputs: HDMI up to 7.1 / Two integrated microphones.
- Tutorials: 4K videos with HEVC, VP9 / Install KODI with add-ons / Auto refresh rate / Multichannel audio on Windows
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK (SW)|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip (SW)|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bit rate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or the limitations with our SAMBA Network.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Dolby||5.1 / Plus = OK || True HD / Atmos = Core|
|DTS||5.1 / MA = OK || HR / X = Core|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats, but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In the streaming aspect the Beelink GTi i5-8259U mini PC with the most popular streaming services we pass some test for Youtube, Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video and others with their native apps or using the most compatible browser. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in FullHD or 4K quality.
- Performance: Has hardware acceleration for VP9 4K codec on Youtube.
- Tutorial: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC for PC
|Streaming service||Video / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2160p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Netflix guide for PC|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Estéreo / HBO guide for PC|
|Disney+||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Disney+ guide for PC|
|Amazon Prime Video||FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Prime Video guide for PC|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Estéreo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Estéreo|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
Once we have tested the Beelink GTi i5-8259U mini PC we can say that this is a powerful and flexible solution. It is a computer for home use or light gaming thanks to its Intel Iris Plus 655 GPU, we also have several video output options and dual Gigabit Ethernet connector. It should be noted that this model has VESA support to hang it behind a screen and have it very discreetly in our office.
The small Beelink GTi i5-8259U can also integrate an M.2 2280 NVMe disk allows us to increase the internal storage by adding two drives, one M.2 2280 SATA or another SATA 3 2.5″ for slower storage. We also have 16 GB RAM memory in its two SODIMM DDR4 slots. Overall an interesting mini PC for those who are looking for the features it offers and plan to expand it in storage.
As we can see the Beelink GTi i5-8259U is a computer suitable for desktop use and light gaming. A product with quality finishes and components that allows you to expand its storage.