This TV-Box Magicsee N5 Nova TV-Box is presented in a basic cardboard box, inside we have the TV-Box, remote control, HDMI 2.0a cable, small first steps manual and 5V 2A power adapter with its adapter if necessary. The flymouse remote is a very basic model, also has a button for the integrated microphone.
- Remote Control: Basic IR remote / No Voice / No Flymouse / We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: We can control remotely using the app Cetusplay / Don’t have its own remote control app.
The TV-Box Magicsee N5 Nova has a classic design, is a black box only with logo of the brand in the top. On the front we only have a small discrete white LED and on the perimeter we have all the connectors, the USB 3.0 port that is new in this SoC, we also have HDMI 2.0 connector up to 4K@60fps, AV jack, SPDIF, another USB 2.0, microSD reader and indicated with a red circle the power connector. In audio jack we have a hole for the update button of your firmware if necessary, at the bottom we have indicated a reset but it is fake.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 100 x 100 x 18 mm / 180 gr.
- Leds and panel: Front LED panel with time and information / Cannot be turned off.
When opening the TV-Box we can see the Wifi ac 2×2 MIMO + Bluetooth 5.0 (AP6398S), It has one internal antenna fixed to the outer shell. The cooling system consists of a simple metallic heatsink attached to the SoC, a fairly basic design that we will see how it behaves in the thermal tests.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the Magicsee N5 Nova to the DC adapter, it boots automatically with an animation and the frontal led lights up. We arrived at the launcher by default based on pictures, we can customize the lower area by adding icons of direct access to the apps we want, little more customizable. The system have a lower navigation bar the upper notification area don’t work, something that limits the functionalities to the environment. The correct performance level of desktop or with basic apps, the Android 9 system works well without forced closed apps.
- Launcher: Android 9 Launcher / YES we can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Available in cremote by holding Menu / It has an lower bar but not superior.
- Installed apps: Google play, Netflix, Youtube, Chrome, Settings, AirPin, MX Player, Media center, Kodi and Airscreen.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
We check the system data within the Android settings and through analysis software, we can see the details of the system installed by default, in this case in Android 9 with support for 64bit apps, the system is Root.
- System version: Android 9 (32 bit) / Kernel 4.4.159 / Build 2019-07-30 / Reference rk3318.
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Settings and root: Lateral Android settings / The system IS root by default / NO menu to deactivate it in settings.
- Support: H96 don’t have website for direct support / Firmware not available / Custom firmware not available
Network, storage, RAM and ports
In the TV-Box Magicsee N5 Nova we have integrated eMMC memory as internal storage, USB 3.0 ports and SD card reader. In the network section we have a Wifi ac + Bluetooth 4.1 (AP6255) + Bluetooth 4.0 and Ethernet 10/100 port. The performance of the Wifi chip is basic and the speeds do not stand out in the sector.
- Storage: Total 64GB expandable with a USB memory stick / NTFS + exFAT compatible.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR3.
- Network: Basic speed with one external wifi antenna / Range 42 dBm, correct. / Bluetooth ok.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||21/17 MB/s||113/36 MB/s||18/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
In terms of power, the Magicsee N5 Nova has acceptable results and moves the system correctly, we can run the classic apps but the powerful games if they feel something just power. At power level it has some basic results, the Rockchip RK3318 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and Mali-450 MP2 GPU is in the low range.
This SoC is manufactured in 28nm has a contained consumption and temperatures are high if we demand performance in powerful games, it is not a TV-Box suitable for playing but there are no problems in a use outside that scope.
- Consumption: Off 2.3W / Standby 4W / Basic use 5W / Maximum 7.8W
- Thermals: Minimum 53ºC / Maximum 80ºC / Maintains performance up to 75% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
Observing the performance tests we can see how the Rockchip RK3318 SoC is almost on par with his brother RK3328 and SoC Amlogic S905X of the previous generation, in general section is below other SoC as the current Amlogic S905X2 has better GPU and It is made in 12nm.
This model is not compatible with PUBG because the lack of OpenGL ES 3.1 support. A valid processor to run games and emulators at the basic level without reaching the top of details.
- Games and emulators: IS NOT possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
Regarding the video playback section, the Magicsee N5 Nova has the RK3318 SoC and a VPU compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with native 4K resolution support. In this TV-Box we can use players like MX Player or install KODI from Google Play without the slightest problem, the system comes by default with a KODI version full of addons that we recommend to uninstall. This model has image quality settings with brightness, contrast and saturation, which can help us to fine-tune the result on the screen.
- Settings and HDMI-CEC: YES image quality settings / RGB and SDR modes available / HDMI-CEC NOT available
- Automatic refresh rate change: Not available.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay with Airscreen.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
- Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
We passed several tests of multimedia playback with the Magicsee N5 Nova we verified that it works efficiently using the new Rockchip RK3318 SoC, which has support of video output by HDMI 2.0 that allows maximum resolution up to 4K@60fps with HDR information and is also compatible with HLG .
- Ports: HDMI 2.0 4K@60fps / Jack AV.
- Max. bitrate: 60 Mbps = 7,5 MB/s.
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Low Frameskip|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
For testing the audio in the Magicsee N5 Nova we use a Yamaha AV receiver, we check that they supports DD and DTS pass through sound. We can only listen to the multi-channel audio up to 5.1. If we do not have an AV receiver to listen the files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / Stereo Jack
- Passthrough and certification: Available in settings / NO official certificates / NO Chromecast audio.
- Tutorial: Multi channel audio configuration in Android devices
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we see how the most popular services work. The Magicsee N5 Nova presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily it seems that if it is compatible with most services even if they are in their most basic SD quality
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||2K (1440p) / Stereo||OK, fails if we set the resolution to 4K||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk and needs a mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video on Android|
After analyzing the Smart TV-Box Magicsee N5 Nova we can say that we are facing a classic low-cost based on the Rockchip RK3328 SoC. It has enough hardware for multimedia use that includes USB 3.0 support as an interesting point. At the network level, the dual band Wifi AC adapter that integrates with its internal antenna works properly, the 10/100 Ethernet port speed is correct but it could be Gigabit. The addition of the Flymouse remote makes it a bit easier for us to use the system.
The Magicsee N5 Nova dipone of 4GB of RAM that allows us to run apps without problems and use multitasking. This is a valid Box as a video player, for example with KODI or IPTV, also for simple games although it gets quite hot in long sessions. The installed system is Android 9 but apart from that it brings nothing to stand out from those found in other models. This model does not have root selector or other extra options, luckily we have lower Android bar.
This TV-Box only stands out for its price and the included Flymouse remote that can be valid for use as a media player in KODI or IPTV. Check our recommended models to see other alternatives. Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS