Table of Contents
The TV-Box QINTAIX Q9S Pro has a conventional design in a plastic box with the logo on top. On the front we have a status LED that lights when connected. At the connector level, we find a USB 3.0 port as a novelty, we also have HDMI 2.1 connector up to 4K@75fps, another USB 2.0, microSD reader, SPDIF, power switch, power connector and audio jack with the internal reset that we can press to enter flash mode.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / 105 x 105 x 20 mm / 115 gr.
- Leds and panel: Frontal LED light / Can not turn off.
In the lower part we have only four rubber feet, if we open this we can see the Wifi dual band + BT 4.1 chip in this case a model that we do not know, has a single internal antenna attached to the housing. The cooling system consists of an aluminum heatsink attached to the SoC that fulfills its function correctly.
- Remote control:Basic IR control, we recommend changing it by a fly mouse or wireless mouse to have better control.
- Alternate control: We can control remotely using the app Cetusplay / Don’t have its own remote control app.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the QINTAIX Q9S PRO to the power and press the power button so that the brand logo appears and the front led lights up. We arrived at the default launcher based on squares and that has three main categories and default shortcuts that can not be customized, at the bottom we have an icon + where we can add our shortcuts. A pretty basic launcher oriented to use with the included remote control.
- Launcher: Basic Launcher / YES we can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking not available / DON’T have lower access bar or notification area
- Installed apps: Google play, Netflix, Update, Shutdown, Youtube, Files, KDMC (KODI) and Droid Settings.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
We check the system data within the Android settings and through analysis software, we can see the details of the system installed by default, in this case in Android 8.1 in its classic version.
- System version: Android 8.1.0 (32 bit) / Kernel 4.9.76 / Build 2018-10-17/ Reference U211.
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Settings and root: Android + Droid Settings / The system IS root by default / NO menu to deactivate it in settings.
- Support: QINTAIX has a website to contact / Firmware available / Custom firmware NOT available
Power and performance
In terms of power the QINTAIX Q9S PRO allows us to move the system smoothly, it is possible to run all Android apps without loss of performance or slowness. At the power level, it has acceptable results thanks to the new Amlogic S905X2 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and Mali-G31 MP2 GPU. This new SoC is manufactured in 12nm maintains a good power consumption and temperatures thanks to its efficiency.
- Consumption: Off 0W / Standby 2W / Basic use 3W / Maximum 4W
- Thermals: Minimum 52ºC / Maximum 68ºC / Maintains performance up to 94% / Small heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- You can read our Comparison article for Amlogic S905X2 SoC with all its technical details
Observing the benchmarks we can see how the Amlogic S905X2 SoC is almost on par with the most powerful Amlogic last generation SoC the S912. In general the results are below that a powerful SoC like the Rockchip RK3399 that already has ARM Cortex-A73 cores, but some results are in the line of this processor. A valid processor to run games and emulators at a good level without reaching the top of the sector.
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
In the QINTAIX Q9S PRO model we have integrated eMMC memory as internal storage, USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section we have a Wifi dual band 2.4/5GHz adapter with Bluetooth 4.1 and Ethernet 10/100 port. The performance of the unknown wifi chip that it integrates is quite basic and as we can see we arrived at quite low figures in 5G.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 23GB expandable with a USB memory stick / NTFS + exFAT compatible.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Network: Low speed in 5G with one wifi antenna / Range 40 dBm, correct. / Bluetooth works OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||20/18 MB/s||21/20 MB/s||19/18 MB/s||–|
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
Regarding the video playback section, the QINTAIX Q9S PRO has the S905X2 SoC and an Amlogic TruLife Gen8 VPU compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9. In this TV-Box we can use players like MXPlayer or install KODI from Google Play without the slightest problem, by default we have installed KDMC a version of KODI that we recommend removing to install the official one to our liking.
- Settings and HDMI-CEC: NO image quality settings / RGB and SDR modes available / NO HDMI-CEC
- Automatic refresh rate change: Not available, the settings exist but it does not work.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
- Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
We perform several multimedia playback tests with the QINTAIX Q9S PRO and check that it works perfectly using the new Amlogic S905X2 SoC, which has video output support for HDMI 2.1 that theoretically allows maximum resolution up to 4K@75fps with HDR information up to Dolby Vision formats
- Performance: HEVC with good performance at 10 bit color or HDR / VP9 correct with P2, not compatible with 8K
- Ports: HDMI 2.1 4K@75fps / Jack audio stereo / SPDIF.
- Max. bitrate: 100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|h.264 / 1080p / 8bit||Correct|
|h.264 / 4K / 8bit||Correct|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||Correct|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Correct|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||Correct|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||Correct|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
- You can see more details in the article Video decoding tests with Amlogic S905X2 SoC.
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
We check the audio in the QINTAIX Q9S Pro using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that they supports DD and DTS pass through sound. We can only listen to the multi-channel audio up to 5.1. If we do not have an AV receiver to listen the files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / SPDIF 5.1 / Stereo Jack
- Passthrough and certification: Available in settings / NO official certificates / NO Chromecast audio.
- Tutorial: Multi channel audio configuration in Android devices
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||OK / Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
We pass the classic tests on streaming services to see how the most popular services work. In this model does not have certificates for these services. The QINTAIX Q9S Pro model presents the classic configuration without certifications that limits us in quality in several streaming services, all the compatible services works without problems.
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk and needs a mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||Pause icon in the middle of the screen||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||Problems with the controls||Amazon Prime video on Android|
After analyzing the TV-Box QINTAIX Q9S PRO we can say that it is a product in line with the new devices with the Amlogic S905X2 SoC. A processor that now includes as a novelty USB 3.0, we also have visual improvements in video playback and a very controlled consumption. At the network level, the dual band Wifi adapter with the internal antenna gives us somewhat poor results in the 5G network and the 10/100 Ethernet port speed is correct but it could be Gigabit.
The model QINTAIX Q9S PRO have integrated 4GB of DDR4 RAM, a point that allows us to load several apps from the internal memory, but not to has the multitasking accessible. A device that behaves well as a video player, for example with KODI or for powerful games such as PUBG and all kinds of Android apps. The firmware has nothing special to highlight like others found in similar models, this device has no Android navigation bars and no root selector setting. On the other hand we have a physical power button and an accessible reset button.
This TV-Box is stable and functional but can be improved, for a basic use can work perfectly for us but a more efficient wifi adapter and a firmware with more options could have improved the result.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS