onn. Full HD Streaming Device is an interesting Google TV Stick of which we present today its analysis or review. A hyper economical product but only available at Wallmart.
The small onn. Full HD Streaming Device has the Amlogic S805X2 SoC which is very similar to the popular S905Y2 only limited to FullHD resolution with HDR. This tiny TV-Stick with Google TV 12 system also includes a full-featured Bluetooth remote control, with microphone for the Google Assistant with which we can request content. As is standard, it offers integrated Chromecast to send content from our mobile and all certificates for streaming apps in FullHD + HDR quality with Dolby sound.
Let’s see in our review how this system behaves and what it offers compared to the rest.
Details of the onn. Full HD Streaming Device
This tiny onn. Full HD Streaming Device comes in a simple cardboard box with the product image in the upper area. Inside we find the small TV-Stick, remote control, 5V 1A charger and a first steps manual.
The new onn. Full HD Streaming Device stands out for its reduced dimensions that allow hanging it behind our TV with the supplied cable. On the back we have the microUSB 2.0 OTG connector and on the front the HDMI 2.0 male connector. The remote control is Bluetooth and Infrared, it has a microphone for Google Assistant and we have keys to use with our TV to change channel or video output, something that is configured at startup.
This new TV-Stick has a Wifi 5 MIMO + Bluetooth 5.0 chip with internal wifi antennas. The cooling system fulfills its function well because it hardly heats up.
- Remote Control: BT + IR with microphone / keyboard + mouse compatible / Android TV App.
- USB Port: Allows USB 3.0 HUB + microUSB OTG cable, for peripherals or add Ethernet.
Sistema y Rendimiento
Environment and Android system
After starting the onn. Full HD Streaming Device we get to the configuration wizard where we can set the Wi-Fi, control our TV via IR, define which apps will be installed by default and select the type of content we want to see on the main screen. Finished the configuration of the Android TV system we get to the new launcher Google TV 12 based on rows with tabs of the contents or shortcuts to the installed apps. The overall performance is good, we can move smoothly even though in the first moments has some pull.
- Launcher: We can change de the launcher / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / Notifications the upper icon.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android languajes / Google Play for Google TV installed.
- Check our Google TV User Manual to install classic Android Apps, prevent screen rotation and much more.
We check the system data, we also observe which power systems this device allows us to use. This TV-Stick has updates via OTA to correct possible failures.
- On/Off Controls: Sleep mode / Shutdown settings available.
- System: Google TV 12 (32 bit) / CPU r1p0 (S805X2) / Model onn_2k_gtv
- Support: onn. OTA support / IMG firmware NOT available, only OTA update.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The TV-Stick onn. Full HD Streaming Device has 1.5 GB of DDR4 RAM and for storage we have in this version of 8 GB eMMC that we can expand with a USB memory. In the network section has a wireless adapter Wifi 5 MIMO + Bluetooth 5.0 as we can see in the test results are good and the USB Ethernet adapter also behaves normally reaching good figures despite its speed limitation.
- Network: Antena Wifi interna / Alcance -51 dBm / Enlace 5G 867 Mbps / Ethernet USB / Bluetooth OK.
We have a microUSB OTG port to connect external drives, peripherals or Ethernet output thanks to a USB 3.0 hub. We found that the performance of the internal storage is quite good and moves the system without problems, on the other hand the RAM offers us data in the line of these devices.
- Storage: Total 8GB – Free3.5GB / Expandable with a USB external memory
- RAM: Total 1.5GB – Free 750MB / DDR4
- Inputs: USB 2.0
- Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Power and performance
In terms of performance, the onn. Full HD Streaming Device has the Amlogic S805X2 SoC, a Quad Core with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and in the graphics section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU which is in the mid-range. This SoC is a variant of the S905X2 but with video limitation to FullHD, but nothing important. As we can see in the results we only have a small improvement in single-core performance, it is well positioned matching Fire TV-Stick 4K and the new Googlecast TV and far exceeds the Xiaomi Mi TV-Stick.
- CPU performance: Min 0.5 GHz / Working 1.1 GHz / Max 2.0 GHz
For the games area we can run 3d games at medium/low quality and also cloud gaming services like NVIDIA GForce Now or using the APK to install it. In the emulators section we can get at most run some Wii games, but we will not have problems with 2D games of classic consoles with emulators like Retroarch or using KODI, the full OS EmuELEC is not compatible.
- Games and emulators: YES Vulkan support / Basic emulators in RetroArch.
- Controls: Compatible with Bluetooth or USB Gamepads.
This SoC Amlogic S805X2 is manufactured in 12nm, has a very contained consumption, the cooling system of the case works perfectly and temperatures are low in normal use. The SoC manages the speeds correctly.
- Thermals: Maintains performance up to 94% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Min 3W / Working 3.2W / Max. 4.5W
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In the video playback section the onn. Full HD Streaming Device is compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265, VP9 with native 4K@60fps HDR resolution support, is compatible with the recent AV1 codec for the compatible streaming services. It does not have a video quality adjustment app and no automatic refresh rate change. We have official HDR10+ support but no support for Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos.
It is possible to use players such as KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem by installing them directly from the Android TV store. In terms of audio we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through its HDMI port. The Chromecast system works perfectly with all compatible services.
- Video Settings: 1080p@60fps / HDMI-CEC available/ Automatic refresh rate not available.
- Audio Settings: HDMI 5.1 / NO USB audio settings.
- Color and HDR: 10Bit / RGB / HDR 10+.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast YES / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio / Dark video playback fix
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
Video and audio results
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit
|100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Dolby 5.1 – Plus / DTS 5.1 – MA
|Dolby HD – Atmos / DTS HR – X
- PCM – Stereo only with downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format for Dolby or DTS base systems / More info
We conducted several tests on streaming services to check how the most popular services work. The onn. Full HD Streaming Device offers maximum compatibility with all popular streaming services. We can watch in FullHD HDR quality the contents of Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ or Max.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Playready.
- Audio/Video certification: Dolby D+ / HDR 10+
|Calidad / Audio
|FullHD (1080p) / 5.1
|Google Play Movies
|FullHD (1080p) / 5.1
|FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Netflix Guide
|FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / HBO Max Guide
|FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Disney+ Guide
|FullHD (1080p) / 5.1 / Apple TV+ Guide
|FullHD (1080p) /5.1 / Prime Video Guide
|HD (720p) / Stereo
|FullHD (1080i) / Stereo
Conclusions and purchase link
onn. Full HD Streaming Device Opinion
Once we have tested the onn. Full HD Streaming Device we can say that we are facing an interesting micro TV-Stick. In terms of power, the Amlogic S805X2 SoC is well positioned with respect to the Fire TV-Stick 4K or Google Chromecast TV. It also has a Bluetooth + Infrared remote control that gives us uncomplicated control of TV functions and we can also use it with Google Assistant.
In terms of connectivity the onn. Full HD Streaming Device integrates a Wifi 5 MIMO adapter with good speed, we can also connect a USB 3.0 hub with Ethernet to have network stability by its microUSB OTG. This device does not get very hot playing video, in normal use or playing games. As a system we have Google TV 12 without any custom layer that moves smoothly.
This Android TV-Stick offers us all the certificates for streaming apps allowing us to play these services in FullHD HDR quality. We can also use other apps such as IPTV players, PLEX or KODI to watch local content, we have the classic limitations of this type of Android Box without quality control and image or automatic refresh rate change.
Overall the onn. Full HD Streaming Device is a good TV-Stick with Google TV certified and economical. The downside is that it is only available in the US and that forces us to import it with the consequent increase in price.