Table of Contents
The TV-Box A95X Plus is very compact and reminds us of the previous Xiaomi Mi Box. On the front we only have a small blue LED and all the connectors on the back, the USB 3.0 port that is new in this SoC, we also have HDMI 2.1 connector up to 4K@75fps, AV jack (with flash mode button inside) ) and another USB 2.0 port. In the lower area four legs that raise the box minimally.
- Materials and measures: Plastic / / 104 x 104 x 14 mm / 100 gr.
- Package contents: Manual / Adapter DC 5V 2A / HDMI cable / IR remote control (2x AAA batteries not included).
- Interfaces: HDMI 2.1 4K@75fps / AV Jack 3.5mm (reset inside) / Jack AV / 1x USB 2.0 / 1x USB 3.0
- Leds and panel: Blue LED
The remote control that comes by default is quite simple and serves to perform the basic functions, if we press the menu button for a second you will have a surprise. From the command we can not access multitasking, something that would help to change the app.
- Remote control: Basic remote IR remote
- Alternative remote control: We can control remotely from our mobile or Android TV-Box using the app Cetusplay or connect a flymouse, mouse or keyboard.
Environment and user experience
We start up the A95X Plus by plugging it into the DC adapter, it starts up automatically and the front white led lights up. After a somewhat scandalous animation we arrive at the default launcher based on squares where we can customize the lower bar only. We have quite a lot of streaming apps installed by default, we can delete them without problems. In this TV-Box the system runs fluid between the apps, there are no hardware performance problems thanks to the S905Y2 SoC, the 4GB DDR4 RAM and good internal storage that is quite fast.
- Launcher: Basic Launcher / YES we can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking only from the lower android navigation bar / YES lower access bar and notification area.
- Installed apps: Google play, DLNA, Google, Voice Search, TV-box market, Update, Cetus play and AirScreen.
- Languages: All the international Android classics.
- On/Off Controls: Pressing the off button we have the option to turn off or restart, we can change it in settings.
System, support and store apps
The A95X Plus has three different settings menus, one the classic side menu with global android settings, another with TV-Box settings and finally the Android classics with the background in white. The Google Play store behaves normally and we can find the most common apps. The version of the system and the compilation of the kernel is quite new as we can see.
- System version: Android 8.1.0 (32 bit) / Kernel 4.9.76 (11-01-2018).
- App store: Google Play with all the apps available for the Android system.
- Brand support: We have no known support but we have been able to download an OTA update.
- Root: The system IS rooted but it can be disabled from Advance settings.
- Scene: There are no custom firmwares for this TV-Box / NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
Storage and RAM Memory
Performing our usual memory tests and internal storage in the A95X Plus using the SD bench app. As we can see in the tests, the internal storage speed is good, which makes the system show very fluid. We also have as a novelty with a USB 3.0 port that allows us much higher reading speeds than the classic USB 2.0 although the writing does not reach the maximum of this type of ports.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 24GB. / Is expandable with a USB memory stick
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Compatible formats: NTFS compatible / exFAT compatible
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||22/21 MB/s||132/31 MB/s||22/21 MB/s||–|
WIFI and Bluetooth
In Wi-Fi connections, the A95X Plus TV-Box has a Wifi ac 2.4/5GHz without Bluetooth 4.0 with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speed for this wifi adapter, quite stable.
- Wifi range: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 35 dBm, a good value.
- Bluetooth: We can connect compatible devices without problems.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Power consumption, temperature and noise
At the power consumption side this Android TV A95X Plus using the Amlogic S905Y2 SoC has very good results in terms of efficiency. This new SoC is manufactured in 12nm and has a maximum consumption of only 3.2W, we have tried to take it up to 5W that seems the maximum of the SoC but it is impossible even with heavy apps running.
We check the performance of the TV-Box in scenarios of maximum sustained performance and in its usual use, we use a stress app for fifteen minutes and thermal camera to detect hot areas. As we have seen the A95X Plus has no ventilation slots but the heat sink system works perfectly and the consumption reach only 3.2W even playing the PUBG, thats prevents it from getting hot.
- Loss of performance: The system maintains a maximum constant performance, NO loss of performance.
- Temperature: The upper part heats up a little but does not affect the general use of the TV-Box.
- Noise: Fanless system, 0db.
As we can see in the power section the A95X Plus has good results and the new Amlogic S905Y2 Quad Core SoC is at the level of its brother S905X2, we have ARM Cortex-A53 processors and Mali-G31 MP2 GPU in a very good position. Observing the results we can see how it is almost on par with the most powerful Amlogic SoC the last generation the S912, in general section is below that other powerful SoC like the Rockchip RK3399 that already has ARM Cortex-A73 cores. In general this is an excellent product with a ridiculous consumption and very modern hardware.
- You can read our Comparison article for Amlogic S905Y2 SoC with all its technical details
Games and gamepads
In the gaming aspect the A95X Plus have the Amlogic S905Y2 SoC that integrates a Mali-G31 MP2, this model allows us to correctly move most Android titles without performance problems and good compatibility. The titles with a lot of 3D load also move quite well and this GPU allows us to play them correctly in low or medium settings, like the popular PUBG.
- Compatibility: IS possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video and audio connections
In the multimedia playback side the A95X Plus works perfectly fine using the S905Y2 SoC, a product that supports HDMI 2.1 video output that theoretically allows maximum resolution up to 4K@75fps with HDR information. We also have a AV jack for old stereo or TV audio.
As a novelty in this SoC we verify that we have image quality settings with brightness, contrast and saturation, and several preconfigured, also has DNR “Digital Noise Reduction” that effects a smoothing effect of the image with results that depend on personal tastes,a ll of these settings do not seem to work because of some problem in the Amlogic SDK that could fixed soon. We also have specific settings to activate Dolby Vision if we have a compatible TV.
- Automatic refresh rate change: Not available, the settings exist but it does not work. *
- Audio passthrough: Available in audio settings. *
- Image adjustments: Image quality settings exists but don’t work / RGB mode / HDR <> SDR modes. *
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast can’t connect / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- HDMI CEC: Available in settings.
- * Tutorials: Judder effect and how to avoid it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark screen when playing video on Android.
Video playback test
Performing our video playback tests on the A95X Plus we test this device that integrates the S905Y2 SoC and a VPU compatible with most modern video formats as we see in the video tests. We can use players like MX Player or install KODI from Google Play, we can uninstall the pre installed without problems. This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC.
With the VPU called TruLife Gen8 gives us a pretty good image quality, we have more defined colors than in the S905X models where video processing is basic. We must also highlight the best compatibility with VP9 P2 video in 4K resolution, plus we notice improvements in the playback of Anime HVEC but still charge the CPU although it is a very specific niche format.
- Compatibility: HEVC with good performance at 10 bit color or HDR / VP9 correct with P2, not compatible with 8K
- Tutorials: Install Addons in KODI in a simple way / LibreELEC installation guide for the TV-Boxes with Android
|H.264 / VC-1||Result|
|BBB – H.264 8bit – Simple@L1 – 1080p@25fps – 7 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung Oceanic Life – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 1080p@30fps – 40 Mbps||Correct|
|Timelapse – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 4K@24fps – 43 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – H.264 10bit – High 10@L5.1 – 1080p@24fps – 10 Mbps||Correct|
|MKV – VC-1 – Advance@L3 – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 SDR|
|Tears of steel – HVEC 8bit – Main@L6.2@Main – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps||Correct|
|Samsung UHD Dubai – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.2@Main – 4K@24fps – 51 Mbps||Correct|
|Anime – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L4@Main – 1080p@24fps – 21 Mbps||Correct|
|Eye of the Storm – VP9 – 4K@24fps – 14 Mbps||Correct|
|H.265 / VP9 HDR|
|Life of Pi HDR10 – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.1@High – 4K@24fps – 45 Mbps||Correct|
|LG Demo – Dolby Vision – HVEC 12bit – Main 10@L5@Main – 4K@24fps – 30 Mbps||Correct|
|Planet Earth II – HDR HLG 10bit – Main 10@L5@High – 4K@25fps – 31 Mbps||Correct|
|The world in HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 4K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Correct|
|Peru 8K HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 8K@60fps – 20 Mbps||Frameskip|
|Jellyfish – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L6.1@High – 4K@30fps – Test up to 400 Mbps||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s|
- * The maximum bitrate depends on the internal storage, usb port, Ethernet adapter or wifi used, we have used the fastest available, see Hardware tests section of this same review to have more information and have consider the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
Audio playback test
In this device we pass the classic audio tests, the A95X Plus using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that they supports DD and DTS pass through sound. We can only listen to the multi-channel audio up to 5.1, if we do not have an AV receiver and we have problems to listen to files with AC3 or multichannel sound we must configure the system to listen to configure the system to listen to multichannel AC3 videos in stereo on any TV.
- Ports: HDMI up to 5.1 / Stereo audio jack
- Certification: No
- Chomecast Audio: No
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||OK / Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
During our tests on streaming services we can see how the most popular services work. In this model does not have certificates for these services. The A95X Plus model presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services, as it does not have notification bars, it also presents some classic problem of this type of configuration.
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK||Amazon Prime video on Android|
The new model A95X Plus premieres the new Amlogic S905Y2 SoC with a performance very close to the S905X2, this SoC now incorporates USB 3.0, visual improvements in video playback and excellent consumption that has an effect on really low temperatures, on the other hand we do not have Ethernet port. The WiFi AC adapter performance is good and has nice range despite the internal antenna, we can get good speeds that allow us to use it as a network player without problems. The included remote control is quite basic, this device also comes with many installed apps that we can remove without problems.
In the A95X Plus the performance is good thanks to the 4GB of DDR4 RAM and fast internal storage it mounts. A model that will work well as a video player for example with KODI or for powerful games such as PUBG and all kinds of apps. The firmware is stable, has navigation bars and Root selector, there are things still to be polished but as we know it has no support to turn to but curiously if it has an OTA update. In general, a basic model that works quite well, the limitation of the Ethernet port can make it not the right solution for everyone.
WHERE TO BUY AND ADD-ONS