The Beelink GT1-MINI 2 comes in a standard cardboard box with a image of the device in the top, inside we found the TV-Box, the Flymouse remote control, HDMI cable 4K@60fps compatible, Manual and a classic DC 5V 2A adapter.
The Beelink GT1-MINI 2 case is made of plastic and has a box design identical to the previous model, compact and discreet. On the sides and in the back area we have all the connectors in a classic configuration. This model includes a c that helps you control easily, if you press the microphone button, Google search is launched with Voice Search with which we can search content on the web and launch them. We can also install Google Assistant from Google Play and launch installed apps like YouTube or Netflix.
In the bottom zone we have the update button in case it is necessary to update the firmware, usually Beelink distribute the updates via OTA. On the motherboard we can see the Wifi aC Dual Band + Bluetooth 4.2 (AP6255) chip and a single internal wifi antenna.
- Remote Control: Flymouse with microphone / We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: Maybe we can control remotely using the app Cetusplay.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the DC adapter at the Beelink GT1-MINI 2 boots automatically and runs the default launcher based on boxes, we can customize the side areas with the icons of the apps we want. In the installed apps standouts BeeMusic and BeeFiles to manage files, we also have Miracast for screen sharing. The performance of Android 9 is very good at the desktop level or with heavy apps and works stable and without forced app closures.
If we are going to play and make intensive use of this model we recommend buying the variant with 4GB of RAM, if we want to adjust our budget and we are only going to use it as a media player maybe with the 2GB model we have enough.
- Launcher: We can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking only available from lower bar / Have lower and notification bars.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / The system IS root by default / NO root menu.
- Support: Beelink site can give us direct support / Firmware available and OTA / Custom firmware not available yet.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The Beelink GT1-MINI 2 TV-Box has eMMC memory as internal storage and DDR4 RAM, has a USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section you have a Wifi aC Dual Band + Bluetooth 4.2 (AP6255) and Ethernet Gigabit port connector. As we can see in the tests the results are positive, we have good Wifi speed and fast internal memory.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB memory stick.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR3.
- Network: Basic speed with one external wifi antenna / Range 40dBm, basic. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||20/17 MB/s||111/36 MB/s||19/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At the power level the Beelink GT1-MINI 2 has with the Amlogic S905X3 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A55 processors and in the graphic section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU that is in the mid range. This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly controlled power consumption and temperatures are low if we demand performance in powerful games or demanding apps.
- Check our Amlogic S905X3 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- Consumption: Off 0.6W / Standby 2.3W / Basic use 3W / Maximum 3.9W
- Thermals: Minimum 38ºC / Maximum 68ºC / Maintains performance up to 91% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In the video playback aspect, the Beelink GT1-MINI 2 features the Amlogic S905X3 SoC and a VPU Advanced Video Engine Gen10 compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with 4K HDR native resolution or even 8K@60fps support, don’t have video quality settings. We can use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem, the system comes by default with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend uninstalling. At the audio level we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI port. Check our Amlogic S905X3 SoC Comparison against all SoCs to see more details about A/V aspects of this SoC.
- Video Settings: Image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available / Automatic refresh rate with root + AFRd.
- Audio Settings: HDMI up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast YES / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model will be compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||OK (only in KODI)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||PCM / Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we see how the most popular services work. The Beelink GT1-MINI 2 presents the classic configuration without certificates that limits us in quality in several streaming services. For now, this model is only compatible with YouTube FullHD HDR, a format that we have not seen in other TV-Box and Netflix SD+, the other services need some corrections in the firmware, Beelink is working to solve this.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / HDCP 2.2
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD HDR (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||–||Don’t work||HBO on Android|
|Amazon Prime Video||–||Don’t work||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
As we can see in this review with the Beelink GT1-MINI 2 we are facing a continuist model with respect to the previous Beelink GT1-MINI model but with an interesting update in its SOC, with the S905X3 that improves its ARM Cortex-A55 CPU cores and updates its VPU with the superior engine AVE-10 that supports VP9 video up to 8K. The GPU allows us to play powerful titles like PUBG although if we are going to play we recommend the 4GB model over the 2GB model to have greater performance.
As for WiFi connectivity, the Beelink GT1-MINI 2 has good performance thanks to its Wifi aC Dual Band adapter that reaches a good speed and Ethernet Gigabit port. The included Flymouse remote control with microphone facilitates the use of this model, we also have the option of using Google Assistant to give orders and perform searches. We have also been able to appreciate that you have certain problems with popular streaming services that certainly need some firmware fixes, Beelink is working on it now.
In short, the Beelink GT1-MINI 3 is an interesting TV-Box with a bright future that stands out for presenting a set with good performance and that also includes a Flymouse remote control with microphone. Waiting for certain corrections in its firmware this Box with SoC S905X3 is undoubtedly very interesting.
Where to buy
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.