|Magicsee C400 Plus
|SoC: Amlogic S912 Octa Core Cortex A-53 / GPU Mali-T820MP3
System: Android 7.1 (32bit)
RAM and Storage: 3 GB DDR3 / 32 GB eMMC
Network: Wifi ac / BT 4.0 / Ethernet 10/100
Video: HDMI 2.0 4K@60fps / DVB-T2 – DVB-S2/C
|[button link=”https://androidpctv.com/go/l” target=”new”]Check full specifications[/button]
The Magicsee C400 Plus TV-Box is made of plastic and has a classic design, on the top has the logo of the brand, on one of its sides and in the back we have the available connectors. A fairly closed design with no ventilation slots that does not help keep the box temperatures low.
- Materials, measures and weight: Plastic / 5.51 x 4.53 x 1.18 inches (246 × 169 × 8.8 mm) / 1.16 lb (530 gr)
- Interfaces: 3 USB 2.0, microSD, DVB-S2 / C, DVB-T2, AV jack (reset inside), Ethernet 10/100, HDMI 2.0, SPDIF, Power
- Remote control: The control includes shortcut keys for TV and SAT control. We can control remotely from our mobile or Android TV-Box the system using the Cetusplay app or connect a flymouse, mouse or keyboard.
- Led and panel: Front with status LED and panel with the time or channel number.
Environment and user experience
We turn on the Android TV-Box Magicsee C400 Plus and observe that we have Android 7.1 (32bit) without any customized layer, the system moves with agility, we can use any app without problems thanks to its powerful Octa Core Amlogic S912 SoC and the 3GB of RAM that integrates in the motherboard and allows us to load enough apps.
- Launcher: Basic design of squares, last customizable row. We can not change the launcher, it gives error.
- Multitasking and access: App switch from the bottom bar. Lower and upper bar.
- Installed apps: Only basic, highlights Google play, streaming apps, Miracast and app to make full system backup.
- Languages: All the international Android languages available.
- Root: The system is NOT rooted.
System, support and store apps
If we enter the settings of the Magicsee C400 Plus we can see that we have two types, one with a side menu with specific media settings for the TV-Box and another with the classic Android menus.
- System version: Android 7.1 (32 bit) / Kernel 3.14.29 (27-05-2018).
- Store apps: Google Play wit certificate and all apps available.
- Brand support: Magicsee has its own website and firmwares. It even has a Custom Firmware
Storage and RAM Memory
We perform our usual memory tests and internal storage in the Magicsee C400 Plus using the SD bench app, we can expand the internal storage of the system using the slot for the microSD card. The results are quite good.
- Storage: Total 32GB / Available 25GB
- RAM: Total 3 GB / Available 1.8 GB / DDR3L
- microSD: 32 MB/s reading / 22 MB/s writing.
Power consumption and temperature
The Magicsee C400 Plus TV-box using the SoC Amlogic S912 has correct results in terms of consumption but as it is logical to be a model with tuners when we use them it raises the consumption enough compared to use only Android.
- Consumption with tuners: Average of 11.5W
We check the performance of the TV-Box in scenarios of maximum sustained performance and in its usual use, we use a stress app for fifteen minutes and thermal camera to detect hot areas.
- Loss of performance: the system maintains a maximum performance of 70%, here is appreciable loss of performance.
- Temperature: The upper part is heated in an area, ventilation is lacking in the box. It does not affect the basic use of the TV-Box.
WIFI and Bluetooth
In Wi-Fi connections, the Magicsee C400 Plus TV-Box has a Wi-Fi ac Dual Band wireless adapter with which we connect to an ASUS RT-AC1200G+ Router, a mid-range device. We perform tests on the use of streaming using the iPerf measurement tool to see the maximum performance of each network adapter.
- Wifi speed results: Correct speeds for this type of adapters.
- Scope Wifi: At a distance of 5 meters with a wall we have a signal of 55 dBm, correct but not excellent.
- Bluetooth: Works correctly and connects without problems.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC
In terms of performance, the Magicsee C400 Plus TV-Box has quite good results thanks to the new Amlogic S912 SoC and the power of the Mali-T820 MP3 GPU it is enough to move most of the Android games. If we compare the results we can see how it falls below the powerful Rockchip RK3399 and easily overcomes the rest of Quad core Cortex-A53 with Mali-450 GPU.
Games and gamepads
The Magicsee C400 Plus TV-Box with the Amlogic S912 SoC integrates the powerful GPU Mali-T820 MP3 allows us to move 99% of Google Play titles without performance problems and good compatibility in general.
- Compatibility: It is possible to play demanding titles such as PUBG with slight frame skips, the battery drains quickly.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video and audio connections
As the engine of the Magicsee C400 Plus we have the Amlogic S912 SoC a product that has video output support for HDMI 2.0a which allows maximum resolution up to 4K@60fps with HDR information, we also have SPDIF optical audio output.
- Automatic refresh change: Not available. Read our Guide about Judder effect and how to avoid it.
- Audio passthrough: Available in settings, HDMI and SPDIF. Read our Guide for Multi-channel audio concepts
- Image quality settings: Not available. Read our Guide to correct dark screen when playing video on Android
- Share media: Correct Miracast from app / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay not available
- HDMI CEC: Available in settings
Video playback test
We performed our video playback tests on the Android TV-Box Magicsee C400 Plus, a model that integrated the Amlogic S912 SoC that has a VPU compatible with most modern video formats as we see in the results.
- Compatibility: VPU compatible with VP9 and HVEC, good performance with 10 bit color files or HDR.
- You can read our Tutorial to install Addons in KODI in a simple way to get to watch the most popular streamings.
|BBB – H.264 8bit – Simple@L1 – 1080p@25fps – 7 Mbps
|Samsung Oceanic Life – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 1080p@30fps – 40 Mbps
|Timelapse – H.264 8bit – High@L5.1 – 4K@24fps – 43 Mbps
|Anime – H.264 10bit – High 10@L5.1 – 1080p@24fps – 10 Mbps
|Tears of steel – HVEC 8bit – Main@L6.2@Main – 1080p@24fps – 17 Mbps
|Samsung UHD Dubai – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.2@Main – 4K@24fps – 51 Mbps
|Jellyfish – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L6.1@High – 4K@30fps – 392 Mbps
|Anime – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L4@Main – 1080p@24fps – 21 Mbps
|Life of Pi HDR10 – HVEC 10bit – Main 10@L5.1@High – 4K@24fps – 45 Mbps
|LG Demo – Dolby Vision – HVEC 12bit – Main 10@L5@Main – 4K@24fps – 30 Mbps
|Planet Earth II – HDR HLG 10bit – Main 10@L5@High – 4K@25fps – 31 Mbps
|The world in HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 4K@60fps – 20 Mbps
|Peru 8K HDR – VP9 Profile 2 10bit – 8K@60fps – 20 Mbps
Audio playback test
Testing the Magicsee C400 Plus using a Yamaha RXV-577 AV receiver we check that they support DD and DTS 7.1 pass through sound. Remember that you have to indicate the connector to use in audio settings so that it sends the signal to the decoder.
- Ports: HDMI up to 7.1 / SPDIF up to 5.1 / Audio jack stereo
Audio test results
|DD True 7.1
|DD Atms 7.1
|DTS MA 5.1
|DTS HR 7.1
|DTS X 7.1
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
We pass the classic tests on streaming services using the TV-Box Magicsee C400 Plus, we check that those that work do it correctly, this model only has DRM certificate Microsoft Widevine L3. You can consult our guides where we explain in detail all the best known streaming services, how to configure them and what requirements are necessary to see content in HD or 4K.
- NOTE: We remind this product do not have official support for these streaming apps, the compatibility with these services can vary depends of any new limitations imposed for this companies. The tests are perform with the indicated firmware and the version of the streaming app at the date of the review.
|Amazon Prime Video
- Guide for Netflix on Android, inside you can found a solution for Error 0013 and installation method on rooted devices
- Guide for Amazon Prime video on Android
The Magicsee C400 Plus TV-Box, with DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and DVB-C tuners as standard, to manage and view content, we have the DTVPlayer app, a very easy-to-use app that guides us throughout the putting process on going.
- Zones: Complete list of satellites. Partial list of zones for DVB-T2 is also compatible with these emissions South America.
- Settings: Management of PVR recordings, auto OFF, database files IN / OUT, EPG and favorites.
At the playback level we have an excellent image quality and without jumps even in the 4K channels, the jump between the different channels is fast and we can access all the functions in a fluid way.
- Image and audio quality: Up to 4K in playback and recording. Supports AC3 sound.
- Channel management: Live list with search by name, EPG, Favorites and manager to schedule recordings.
- Servers: Inside the TV-Setup menu press “6699” to see hidden menu.
As we can see in all the tests carried out the Magicsee C400 Plus we are facing a TV-Box with tuners that in general lines behaves well, we have a hardware controlled by the powerful Amlogic S912 Octa core SoC that allows us to run any app without problems and move Android in a fluid way. The network adapters behave well and we have an internal storage with an acceptable speed for the system to move smoothly, the only complaint is not to have Gigabit Ethernet.
The Magicsee C400 Plus model can play 4K content without problems through its tuners and as a video player with the SoC installed, the HDMI 2.0a output also allows us to watch HDR content. On the other hand it is necessary to emphasize that the box is very closed and we have somewhat elevated temperatures if we are going to use it intensively, we recommend not to enclose it. A model that has some custom firmware but that is far from the KIII Pro model that also has certificates for Netflix FullHD and even Android TV system. A correct model if we get it at a reasonable price.
WHERE TO BUY