Table of Contents
The RKM MK25 comes in a standard cardboard box with a image of the device in the top, inside we found the TV-Box, IR remote, HDMI cable 4K@60fps compatible, Manual and a DC 5V 2A adapter.
The RKM MK25 is made of plastic and has a curved design, no doubt peculiar. On the front we have an LED panel with time and extra information, IR receiver and a power button. The TV-Box automatically turns on when connected to the mains and a conventional IR remote control is included with the basic functions.
Also on the side we have the update button in case it is necessary to update the firmware. This TV-Box integrates a Wifi ac Dual Band 2T2R + Bluetooth 4.2 chip on the motherboard and the two external Wi-Fi antennas.
- Remote Control: Basic IR Remote / NO microphone / We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: Does not have its own control app / We can try Cetusplay in our smartphone.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
Connecting the power adapter at the RKM MK25 boots directly and we reach the default launcher based on boxes, we can customize the bottom row by adding icons. In the installed apps there are not many, highlights the so-called Shutdown that allows us to program when the TV-Box is turned on and off. The performance of Android 9 is very good at the desktop level or with heavy apps and works stably. If we are interested in using it for digital signage, there is another version with screen rotation control software, you must contact RKM on its store for this.
- Launcher: We can change launcher but only Pixel launcher works 100% / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking only available from lower bar / Have lower Android bar but NO upper bar.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / The system IS root by default / NO root menu.
- Support: This brand have official support in RKM site / Firmware available / Custom firmware not available yet.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The RKM MK25 TV-Box has eMMC memory for internal storage and DDR4 RAM, it has two USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section it has a wireless adapter Wifi ac Dual Band 2T2R + Bluetooth 4.2 and Gigabit Ethernet port. As we have good Wifi speed in addition to good range and fast internal memory.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB memory stick.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Network: Basic speed with two external wifi antennas / Range 40dBm, basic. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||20/18 MB/s||110/37 MB/s||20/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At the power level the RKM MK25 is enough for any Android app or game with the Amlogic S922X Hexa Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A73 processors and in the graphic section a Mali-G52 MP6 GPU that is in the mid/high range. This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly controlled consumption and temperatures are controlled if we demand performance in powerful games or demanding applications. It does not reach the level of the S922X-H that we have seen in the Beelink GT-King Pro but it is at a very good level with their direct rivals.
- Check our Amlogic S922X SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- Consumption: Off 0.6W / Standby 3.8W / Basic use 5.2W / Maximum 8.4W
- Thermals: Minimum 40ºC / Maximum 70ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In the video playback aspect, the RKM MK25 features the Amlogic S922X SoC and a VPU Advanced Video Engine Gen10 compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with 4K HDR native resolution, don’t have video quality settings. We can use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem, the system comes by default with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend uninstalling. At the audio level we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI port. Check our Amlogic S922X SoC Comparison against all SoCs to see more details about A/V aspects of this SoC.
- Video Settings: Image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available / Automatic refresh rate with root + AFRd.
- Audio Settings: HDMI up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: Chromecast NO / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay with Airscreen.
- LibreELEC: This model will be compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||Frameskip|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR||Frameskip|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
In our usual tests with streaming services we see how the most popular services work. The RKM MK25 presents the classic configuration without certifications which limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily if it is compatible with most services even if they are in its most basic quality of SD video
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorial: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD HDR (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk whit mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||HBO on Android|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
After analyzing the RKM MK25 we can say that we are facing a powerful TV-Box equipped with the Amlogic S922X SoC, a chip that allows you to play powerful titles like PUBG. This TV-Box has good network performance thanks to its Wifi aC Dual Band 2T2R adapter that reaches a good speed, also has Gigabit Ethernet port to be able to load all kinds of content over the network at maximum speed.
The RKM MK25 at the software level has a default launcher installed, it is simple but effective for the IR controller included, if we want something more flexible we recommend changing it. In general, the Android 9 system installed works without problems and we have as an extra app to program the power off and on, this model has a special version with screen rotation control for digital signage applications.
In general, the RKM MK25 is a powerful TV-Box with multiple options that stands out for having a specific version for digital signage where RKM has extensive experience in the sector.
Where to buy
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.