YOU-BOX is an interesting Android TV-Box from the Youin brand that we present today its analysis or review. This new device has Android TV 10 as a system, has Google certification and streaming services in 4K HDR quality.
The new YOU-BOX integrates a powerful Amlogic S905X3 SoC that allows the system to move smoothly, a hardware far superior to the Xiaomi Mi Box for example. This new TV-Box has Android TV 10 system, includes a backlit bluetooth remote control and microphone to use the Google Assistant. This system has Chromecast to send content from our Smartphone, is compatible with systems controllable by Google Home and has all the permissions for paid streaming services. Let’s see in our review how the YOU-BOX behaves and what it offers compared to its rivals.
Table of Contents
The small Android TV-Box YOU-BOX comes in a cardboard box with the product image on the top and information on its functions. Inside we found the TV-Box, Bluetooth + IR remote, Manual, HDMI cable and a DC 12V 1A adapter.
This YOU-BOX has a fairly conventional design, in the rear area we have Ethernet 10/100 connector, USB-C only for charging, AV jack, HDMI 2.1 and power connector, while on one side we have a USB 3.0, another USB 2.0 and microSD that support up to 32GB. We also have Bluetooth remote control that has a microphone for Google Assistant, at the top we have a status LED, some keys that have no direct use, but we can remap for user other functions.
This TV-Box has a Wifi aC + Bluetooth 4.2 chip with internal wifi antennas. The passive cooling system works perfectly because the Box hardly heats up. In the lower area it has a reset button to reboot the system if it suffers a software catastrophe and to reset it.
- Remote Control: Basic BT + IR Remote with mic / Compatible with keyboard and mouse / App control for Android TV.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the YOU-BOX and it starts automatically, we are shown the configuration wizard where we can set the Wi-Fi connection, define which apps will be installed by default and select the type of content we want to see on the main screen. Once configured we get to the new Android TV launcher based on rows with tabs of the contents or shortcuts to the installed apps. By default the system comes with some rows that can be disabled and leave the environment quite clean. The overall performance is very good, we can move smoothly and quickly between menus.
- Launcher: We can change de the launcher / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / Notifications the upper icon.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android languajes / Google Play for Android TV installed.
- Check our Android TV User Manual to install classic Android Apps, prevent screen rotation and much more.
We check the system data and the options it includes as far as root is concerned, we also observe what power on/off system this device allows us. This TV-Box will have updates via OTA to correct possible failures.
- On/Off Controls: Sleep mode / Shutdown settings available.
- System version and root: Android TV 10 (32 bit) / NO rooted / NO root menu / CPU r1p0 (S905X3) / Model SEI600NK.
- Support: Youin OTA support / IMG firmware NOT available, only OTA update.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The YOU-BOX TV-Box has 2 GB of RAM and for storage we have 8 GB eMMC that we can expand with a USB memory. It has a USB 3.0 port for connecting external drives (read only) or peripherals and we also have another extra USB 2.0. In the network section we find a wireless adapter Wifi ac + Bluetooth 4.2 that as we can see in the tests the results are good. The internal memory is fast and helps us to use the system fluently.
- Storage: Total 8GB – Free 3.5GB / Expandable with a USB external memory.
- RAM: Total 2GB – Free 1GB / DDR.
- Network: Good speed with internal wifi antennas / Range 41dBm, good. / Bluetooth YES.
- Read/Write Ports: USB 3.0 OTG / On external USB drives it is only possible to read data.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Power and performance
This new YOU-BOX has the Amlogic S905X3 Quad Core SoC made in 12nm with ARM Cortex-A55 processors and in the graphics section has a mid-range Mali-G31 MP2 GPU. This SoC is an improvement of the previous S905X2 and is very similar to the recent S905X4. As we can see in the results we have a good figures perhaps because of the hardware set quite better than in economic TV-Box, it is equal to the Fire TV-Box 4K and the new Googlecast TV, far exceeds the Xiaomi Mi TV-Box which is already somewhat outdated..
- CPU performance: Min 0.5 GHz / Working 1.1 GHz / Max 1.9 GHz
- Check our Amlogic S905X3 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
As for games we can run PUBG in medium/low quality and also cloud gaming services like NVIDIA GForce Now or Google Stadia using the APK to install it. In the emulators section we can get at most run some Wii titles, but we will not have problems with 2D games of classic consoles with emulators like Retroarch or using KODI, the full OS EmuELEC is not compatible.
- Games and emulators: NOT possible to play titles such as PUBG / YES Vulkan support / Basic emulators in RetroArch or KODI.
- Controls: Compatible with Bluetooth or USB Gamepads.
This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly low power consumption and the cooling system maintains low temperatures in normal use. The processor manages the speeds correctly so as not to heat up excessively.
- Thermals: Min. 40ºC / Working 42 ºC / Max. 61ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Min 3W / Working 3.2W / Max. 4.5W
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In the video playback section, the YOU-BOX is compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265, VP9 with native resolution support 4K@60fps HDR, although it does not support the recent AV1 codec that for now has a testimonial use. It does not have a video quality settings app and no automatic refresh rate change. We have official HDR support is available to get a better image from some streaming services.
It is possible to use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem by installing them directly from the Android TV store. In terms of audio we can play DD and DTS up to 7.1 through its HDMI port, 5.1 via SPDIF and stereo via the AV jack. The Chromecast system works perfectly with all compatible services.
- Video Settings: NO image quality settings / RGB, SDR / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate not available.
- Audio Settings: HDMI 7.1 / NO USB audio settings.
- Color and HDR: 10Bit / RGB / HDR 10+, HLG / Dolby Vision
- Media sharing: GoogleCast YES / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
Video and audio results
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Dolby||5.1 / Plus = OK | True HD/ Atmos = Core|
|DTS||5.1 = OK | MA / HR / X = Core|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby or DTS base system / More info
We performed several tests on streaming services to check how the most popular services work. The YOU-BOX offers maximum compatibility with all the most popular streaming services. We can watch in 4K HDR quality content from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and in maximum quality others like HBO.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Playready.
- Audio/Video certification: Dolby Atmos / Dolby Vision.
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Calidad / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2060p) / 5.1|
|Google Play Movies||4K (2060p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / Modified app + mouse / Netflix Guide|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo / HBO Guide|
|Disney+||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / Disney+ Guide|
|Amazon Prime Video||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / Install APK manually / Prime Video Guide|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Stereo|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
Once we have tested the new YOU-BOX we can say that we are facing a very interesting certified TV-Box with a good price for the European region. Thanks to the powerful SoC Amlogic S905X3 we have enough resources to move any app, and this is a chip that far exceeds the Xiaomi Mi TV-Box. The Bluetooth remote control with microphone included is comfortable and we can use Google Assistant without problems to perform searches.
In terms of connectivity the YOU-BOX integrates a Wifi aC adapter without speed problems, we also have USB 3.0 connectivity, another extra USB 2.0 and a practical USB-C charging if we want to use another electric charger. As operating system we have Android TV 10 which is very stable and will get OTA updates directly from Youin. This model does not heat up at all playing video, in normal use or playing a demanding title.
As we have seen, it has all the certificates for streaming apps allowing us to play our contracted services in 4K HDR quality. We can also use other apps such as IPTV players, PLEX or KODI to watch local content. We have the classic limitations of Amlogic SoCs such as the lack of image quality control or automatic refresh rate change.
Undoubtedly the YOU-BOX is an ideal TV-Box to play streaming with powerful hardware, with a fairly competitive price being a product that we can find with European warranty in large surfaces, certificates and after-sales service.