onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device is an interesting Android micro box of which we present today in our review. This device can only be purchased at Walmart stores for a very good price.
The small onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device has the Amlogic S905Y2 SoC that we have already seen in other similar devices. This tiny TV-Box with Android TV 10 system has by default a fairly complete Bluetooth remote control and microphone for Google Assistant with which we can control this device. It also offers integrated Chromecast to send content from our mobile and all permissions for streaming apps in 4K HDR quality. Let’s see in our review how this onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device and what it offers us.
ONN. PRODUCT DETAILS
This small Android TV-Box onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device comes in a cardboard box with a image of the device in the top area, inside we found the TV-Box, Bluetooth + IR remote, Manual, HDMI cable and a DC 5V 1A adapter.
Undoubtedly the onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device stands out for its small size and we can hang it behind our TV with the supplied cable. On the back we have the microUSB 2.0 OTG connector and on the front the HDMI 2.1 port, on the side we can see a status LED and a button for pairing. The remote control is Bluetooth + IR has a microphone for Google Assistant, we also have keys for use with our TV to change channel or video output, something that is configured when you start it.
This small TV-Box has a Wifi ac MIMO + Bluetooth chip with internal wifi antennas. The cooling system works really good because it hardly heats up. We have a pairing button on one of the sides in case the connection with the remote control fails.
- Remote Control: Basic BT + IR Remote with mic / Compatible with keyboard and mouse / App control for Android TV.
- USB port: It allows us to connect a USB 3.0 HUB + microUSB OTG, for peripherals or to add Ethernet.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
Once boot the onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device, we get to the configuration wizard where we can set the Wi-Fi, define which apps will be installed by default and select the type of content we want to see on the main screen. Once the configuration is finished we get to the new Android TV launcher based on rows with tabs of the contents or shortcuts to the installed apps. When we update the apps the launcher will change to Google TV with a more modern design. The overall performance is good, we can move smoothly and quickly between menus.
- Launcher: We can change de the launcher / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / Notifications the upper icon.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android languajes / Google Play for Android TV installed.
- Check our Android TV User Manual to install classic Android Apps, prevent screen rotation and much more.
We take a look at the system data and the options it includes, we also observe what boot options this device allows us. This TV-Box will have updates via OTA to correct possible failures, security updates and bug fixes.
- On/Off Controls: Sleep mode / Shutdown settings available.
- System version and root: Android TV 10 (32 bit) / NO rooted / NO root menu / CPU r0p4 (S905Y2) / Model sti6140d360.
- Support: OTA support / IMG firmware NOT available, only OTA update.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The TV-Box onn. UHD Streaming Box has memory 2 GB of RAM DDR3 and for storage we have in this version of 8 GB eMMC that we can expand with a USB memory. In the network section has a wireless adapter Wifi ac MIMO + Bluetooth as we can see in the test results are good and the USB Ethernet adapter also behaves normally reaching good figures despite its speed limitation.
- Network: Internal Wifi antenna / Range -43 dBm / Link 5G 867 Mbps / Ethernet USB / Bluetooth OK.
It has a microUSB OTG port for connecting external drives, peripherals or Ethernet output thanks to a USB 3.0 HUB. We found that the internal storage performance is quite good and moves the system smoothly, on the other hand the RAM memory offers data in the line of these devices.
- Storage: Total 8GB – Free 4GB / Expandable with a USB external memory.
- RAM: Total 2GB – Free 1GB / DDR.
- Ports: microUSB 2.0.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
In the performance aspect the onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device has the popular Amlogic S905Y2 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and in the graphics section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU which is in the mid-range. This SoC is a variant of the S905X2 which is somewhat inferior to the S905X3 or the recent S905X4, but nothing important. As we can see in the results we only have a small improvement in single-core performance, it is well positioned to match the Fire TV-Box 4K and the new Googlecast TV and far exceeds the old Xiaomi Mi TV-Box.
- CPU performance: Min 0.5 GHz / Working 1.1 GHz / Max 1.8 GHz
- Check our Amlogic S905Y2 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
In the games area we can run PUBG in medium/low quality and also cloud gaming services like NVIDIA GForce Now or using the APK to install it. In the emulators section we can get at most run some Wii titles, but we will not have problems with 2D games of classic consoles with emulators like Retroarch or using KODI, the full OS EmuELEC is not compatible.
- Games and emulators: Is possible to play titles such as PUBG / YES Vulkan support / Basic emulators in RetroArch or KODI.
- Controls: Compatible with Bluetooth or USB Gamepads.
This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly low power consumption and the cooling system maintains low temperatures in normal use. The processor manages the speeds correctly so as not to heat up excessively.
- Thermals: Min. 40ºC / Working 42 ºC / Max. 60ºC / Maintains performance up to 94% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Min 3W / Working 3.2W / Max. 4.5W
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
In the video playback section the onn. 4K Streaming Box is compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265, VP9 with native resolution support 4K@60fps HDR10, although it does not support the recent AV1 codec that for now has a testimonial use. It does not have a video quality settings app and no automatic refresh rate change. We have official Dolby Vision support to get the most out of streaming services.
It is possible to use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem by installing them directly from the Android TV store. In terms of audio we can play DD and DTS up to 5.1 through its HDMI port. The Chromecast system works perfectly with all compatible services.
- Video Settings: NO image quality settings / RGB, SDR / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate not available.
- Audio Settings: HDMI 5.1 / NO USB audio settings.
- Color and HDR: 10Bit / RGB / HDR 10+.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast YES / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
Video and audio results
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||Frameskip (SW)|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Native||Dolby 5.1 – Plus / DTS 5.1 – MA|
|Core||Dolby – HD – Atmos / DTS HR – X|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby or DTS base system / More info
Streaming services on the onn.
We performed several tests on streaming services to check how the most popular services work. The onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device offers maximum compatibility with all the most popular streaming services. We can watch in 4K HDR quality content from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and in maximum quality others like HBO. It does not have Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Playready.
- Audio/Video certification: Dolby D+ / HDR10.
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Calidad / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2160p) / 5.1|
|Google Play Movies||4K (2160p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||4K (2160p) / 7.1 / Netflix Guide|
|HBO Max||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / HBO Max Guide|
|Disney+||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Disney+ Guide|
|Apple TV+||4K (2160p) / 5.1 / Apple TV+ Guide|
|Prime Video||4K (2160p) / 7.1 / Prime Video Guide|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Stereo|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
Opinion about the onn.
After testing the onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device we can say that we are facing an interesting micro TV-Box, too bad it is only available in the US. In the power section the SoC Amlogic S905Y2 is in very good place compared to its rivals Fire TV-Box 4K or Google Chromecast TV and leaves far behind the Xiaomi Mi Box. It has Bluetooth + IR remote control that also offers us control of TV functions, without complications and we can also use it also with Google Assistant.
In the section of connections the onn. 4K Streaming Box integrates a Wifi ac MIMO adapter with good speed, we can also connect a USB 3.0 hub with Ethernet for network stability. This device does not get very hot playing video, in normal use or playing games. The system we have Android TV 10 without any custom layer that moves smoothly.
This Android Box has all the certificates for streaming apps allowing to play these services in 4K HDR10 quality. We can also use other apps such as IPTV players, PLEX or KODI to watch local content, we do have the classic limitations of this type of Android Box without quality control and image or automatic refresh rate change.
As we see the onn. Android TV UHD Streaming Device is a good micro TV-Box with Android TV fluid and certified for streaming, the only downside is that don’t have support for Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos.