The model A95X F3 Slim comes in a standard cardboard box with a generic name in the top, inside we found the TV-Box, IR remote, HDMI cable 4K@60fps compatible, Manual and a DC 5V 2A adapter.
This Android TV-Box A95X F3 Slim is made in plastic and has a box design with lines and stands out for this design with circles. On the front we have an LED display that indicates the time, on the sides and in the back area we have all the connectors in a classic configuration. This model includes a simple IR remote control that allows us to perform basic functions in apps like KODI but is limited for more complex ones.
Inside the audio jack we have the update button in case it is necessary to update the firmware. On the motherboard we can see the Wifi aC Dual Band + Bluetooth 4.2 (Mediatek MT7668RSN) chip little known and has two internal Wi-Fi antennas. The cooling system is simple, an aluminum heatsink attached to the SoC that as we will see fulfills its function.
- Remote Control: Basic IR Remote with copy keys/ NO microphone / We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: Have its own control app / We can try Cetusplay in our smartphone.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
If we power-on the A95X F3 Slim boots automatically, we arrive at a simple launcher based in squares, it is valid for use with the default remote, it has a upper row that we can customize with the icons of the apps we want. The installed apps include Airscreen, Miracast, Cetusplay, PLEX and TVMC (KODI) with various addons installed. The performance of Android 9 is quite good at the desktop level or with heavy apps, it works stable and without forced app closures.
If we are going to play and make intensive use of this model we recommend buying the variant with 4GB of RAM, if we want to adjust our budget and we are only going to use it as a media player we may have enough with the 2GB model.
- Launcher: As an alternative we have Pixel launcher to use mouse or Ugoos for IR control / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking ONLY available in lower bar / YES lower Android bar but NO upper bar.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / YES root by default / YES root menu / Build 2019-11-22 / Model Droidlogic Ampere.
- Support: A95X don’t have a site with firmware / Firmware available / Custom firmware not available yet.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The TV-Box A95X F3 Slim has eMCP memory for internal storage + DDR3 RAM, it has two USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section it has a wireless adapter Wifi aC Dual Band + Bluetooth 4.2 (Mediatek MT7668RSN) and Ethernet 10/100 port. As we can see in the tests the results are good, the wifi does reach decent speed figures although the range is normal for a model with two internal antennas.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB or SD external memory.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR3.
- Network: Good speed with two internal wifi antennas / Range 42dBm, fine. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||23/18 MB/s||82/37 MB/s||21/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At level of performance the A95X F3 Slim has installed the Amlogic S905X3 a Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A55 processors and in the graphic section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU that is in the mid-range. This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly low consumption but as we have seen the cooling system is basic and the temperatures are low all the time, the processor correctly scales the speeds so as not to overheat.
- CPU performance: Min 500 MHz / Working 1MHz / Max 1,75 MHz
- Check our Amlogic S905X3 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- Thermals: Min. 40ºC / Working 53ºC / Max. 60ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.6W / Min 3W / Working 4.1W / Max. 6.8W
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
The playback aspect in the A95X F3 Slim is good thanks to the Amlogic S905X3 SoC and the VPU Advanced Video Engine Gen10 compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with 4K HDR native resolution or even 8K@60fps support, don’t have video quality settings. We can use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem, the system comes by default with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend uninstalling. At the audio level we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI port. Check our Amlogic S905X3 SoC Comparison against all SoCs to see more details about A/V aspects of this SoC.
- Video Settings: Image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate with root + AFRd.
- Audio Settings: HDMI and SPDIF up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast YES* / Miracast YES* / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay YES* / *With Airscreen.
- LibreELEC: This model can be compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||Frameskip|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK (only in KODI)|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
Passing our usual tests with streaming services we check how the most popular services work. The A95X F3 Slim presents the classic configuration without certifications which limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily if it is compatible with most services even if they are in its most basic quality of SD video
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||HD HDR (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk with mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||HBO on Android|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|Disney+||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK (see audio trick), with mouse||Disney+ on Android|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
This review can show you how A95X F3 Slim works, this low-cost Android TV-Box have good number of positive points, it has surprised us positively in general. In this device we have the Amlogic S905X3 SoC that improves its CPU cores to the Cortex-A55 and updates its VPU with VP9 video support up to 8K. The GPU allows us to play quite powerful titles like PUBG, if we are going to play we recommend the 4GB model, the 2GB model we only recommend as a media player with KODI programs.
At connectivity level the A95X F3 Slim is quite good, its Wifi ac Dual Band adapter has acceptable speeds within its price, although its 10/100 Ethernet port could be Gigabit to take advantage of our local network. With this model we also have a basic IR control, a firmware with lower Android navigation bars, root selector, its cooling system works correctly and we will not have thermal problems at any time.
As you can see the A95X F3 Slim is a quite nice low-cost TV-Box in general, at thermal level we have no problems, we have root selector and quite good Wi-Fi.
Where to buy
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.
Hy. I have a95x F3 Air with amlogig s905w2. When I play 4k hdr10,10+ contents and 4k contents the video is lagging in every player with external hard drive(fat32)
Hi. Use Kodi.
Already used Kodi , and avatar bt2020 is still micro laggs , a tried other players.. and still lagging
If you want to play this kind of files with premium quality, go for a better device.
The coded files have an infinite number of variables in their coding.
How can i scroll down the status bar (on the top)? Sometimes i can not even see the status bar, and when i see it i have no idea how to scroll down the status bar to read what messages are there displayed. Is this possible with the remote control?
You can’t, as we say in the review: NO upper bar.
hello I have this tvbox but I can’t get it to work with dolby digital 5.1 or DTS, I connect it to a sony home theater via hdmi, and on the display it appears to me that the audio is being sent as a 2-channel pcm, try the MXplayer with dolby demo videos. Could you help me with the configuration?
I will wait for your opinion before embarking on a purchase.
This box will be used to run iptv most of the time or to run Vlc as a media player.
So do you recommend the normal, air or slim version? What do you think I should buy, the 2gb or the 4gb? Is 32gb memory not going to promote speed and prevent the box from slowing down?
I will run implayer on it so maybe a little heavy for the 2g / 16?
Thank you for your opinion and for your great work 😁
All the tree version are almost the same at hardware level.
Go for 4GB RAM version if you can.
Hello you, I read your description and I still hope to have an answer from you.
I prefer the remote control of the a95x max to that of the a95x f3 air.
If I just buy the Max remote control it would work as the F3?
A big thank you for your help, I tell myself that you will be easier to test than me having the two boxes at your disposal or having perhaps already been tested.
Every box have their IR codes, like the TVs.
No idea about Max remote, maybe.
Have a nice day.
Do you still have it at your disposal and can test it :)?
This is better than A95X F3 RGB ?
Similar, almost identical hardware.