Table of Contents
The model Magicsee N6 Plus comes in a standard cardboard box with a generic image of the device in the top, inside we found the TV-Box, IR remote, HDMI cable 4K@60fps compatible, Manual and a DC 12V 1.5A adapter.
This Android TV-Box Magicsee N6 Plus has a plastic box with small squares on the top. On the front we have the status LED while on the sides and in the back we have all the connectors. This box includes a basic IR remote with the option to copy keys, that remote allows us to perform basic functions in apps like KODI but is limited to more complex ones that require a pointer.
In the audio jack we can find the update button in case it is necessary to update the firmware. On the motherboard we can see the Wifi aC 2×2 MIMO + BT 4.1 chip (CDtech 47822BS-02) which has an internal and an external wifi antenna. The cooling system is simple, a block of thermal rubber that contact an external metal plate.
- Remote Control: Basic IR Remote with copy keys/ NO microphone / We can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: Have its own control app / We can try Cetusplay in our smartphone.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
If we power-on the Magicsee N6 Plus boots automatically, we arrive at a simple launcher based in cubes, it is valid for use with the default remote, it has a upper row that we can customize with the icons of the apps we want. The installed apps include Airscreen, Miracast, Netflix, MediaCenter for DLNA and MXPlayer. The performance of Android 9 is good at the desktop level or with heavy apps, it works stable and without forced app closures.
- Launcher: As an alternative we have Pixel launcher to use mouse or Ugoos for IR control / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking ONLY available in lower bar / YES lower Android bar but NO upper bar.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / NO root by default / YES root menu / Build 2020-03-06 / Model N6PLUS.
- Support: Magicsee have a site with firmwares / Firmware available / Custom firmware not available yet.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The TV-Box Magicsee N6 Plus has eMMC memory for internal storage + DDR4 RAM, it has two USB 3.0 port, one USB 2.0 and SD card reader. In the network section it has a wireless adapter Wifi ac 2×2 MIMO + BT 4.1 (CDtech 47822BS-02) and Ethernet Gigabit port. As we can see in the tests the results are good, the wifi does reach decent speed figures although the range is normal for a model with two internal antennasm one internal and another external.
- Storage: Total 33GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB or SD external memory.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Network: Good speed with two wifi antennas, internal + external / Range 40dBm, OK. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||23/18 MB/s||82/37 MB/s||21/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At level of performance the Magicsee N6 Plus defends itself quite well and can run any Android app or game, the Amlogic S922X Hexa Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A73 + A53 processors with its Mali-G52 MP4 GPU is in the mid / high range. This SoC is manufactured in 12nm and has a very low consumption. The temperatures are high because the CPU is always at 100%, the processor does not manage the speeds correctly, a patch is necessary to improve this aspect.
- CPU performance: Min 1,7 GHz / Working 1,7 GHz / Max 1,7 GHz
- Check our Amlogic S922X SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- Thermals: Min. 59ºC / Working 70ºC / Max. 95ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.6W / Min4.2W / Working 5.2W / Max. 12W
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
The playback aspect in the Magicsee N6 Plus performs quite well thanks to the Amlogic S922X SoC that integrates an Advanced Video Engine Gen10 VPU. This video processor is compatible with most modern video formats such as h.265 and VP9 with native 4K HDR resolution support.
Players like KODI or PLEX can be used without the slightest problem and the system comes with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend uninstalling. At the audio level we can reproduce DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI or SPDIF port if we have an AV receiver. See our Amlogic S922X SoC Comparison Guide for more Audio / Video details on this SoC.
- Video Settings: Image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate with root + AFRd.
- Audio Settings: HDMI and SPDIF up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast NO / Miracast YES* / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay YES* / *With Airscreen.
- LibreELEC: This model can be compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||Frameskip|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||Frameskip (SW)|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Frameskip (SW)|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
Passing our usual tests with streaming services we check how the most popular services work. The Magicsee N6 Plus presents the classic configuration without certifications which limits us in quality in several streaming services, luckily if it is compatible with most services even if they are in its most basic quality of SD video
- DRM: Google Widevine L3
- Certification: No
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk with mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||HBO on Android|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|Disney+||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK (see audio trick), with mouse||Disney+ on Android|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
As we have verified when analyzing the Magicsee N6 Plus we are facing an Android TV-Box that has acceptable hardware but a problem with the firmware and his thermals. This device has the Amlogic S922X SoC that has more than enough power to move any app, powerful games such as PUBG, emulators up to 16bit, apps for IPTV or using KODI where we can play 4K video without problems. It is also compatible with all the streaming apps we have tested such as Netflix, Disney+ or HBO, although many remain in basic quality due to the absence of certificates from these companies.
In terms of connectivity the Magicsee N6 Plus we have a Wifi aC 2×2 MIMO adapter with good speeds, it also stands out for its Gigabit Ethernet network adapter. This Android TV-Box as we have verified gets quite hot since its CPUs are always at 100%. As a system we have Android 9, in general it is stable and moves very smoothly, it includes a lower Android navigation bar, root selector, hardware monitor and screen rotation control.
As a conclusion to say that the Magicsee N6 Plus is a TV-Box with acceptable performance but it has to improve its firmware in the thermal aspect. We will be attentive if you receive any update that improves it.
Where to buy
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.