Table of Contents
The model MINIX NEO U22-XJ we are presented with a box made of plastic with the classic lines of MINIX, at the top we have the brand’s logo in relief. This box includes an HDMI 2.0 cable, USB Type-C cable to update and a simple IR remote that allows us to control apps like KODI but that is limited in other more complex ones.
This Android TV-Box MINIX NEO U22-XJ is made in plastic in the front we have a small LED light that indicates the status of the TV-Box, on the sides and in the back we have all the connectors. They highlight its SD card reader, three USB 3.0 Type-A ports and another USB 3.0 Type-C port, next to the antenna we have the update button and on the same side the Kensington lock. We also have HDMI 2.1, SPDIF, Gigabit Ethernet, configurable audio jack and power connector.
On the motherboard we can see the Wifi ac 2×2 MIMO + BT 4.1 (AP6356S) chip that has two wifi antennas, one internal and one external. The cooling system mounts a fairly generous aluminum plate in contact with the SoC and the memories, which as we will see does its job.
- Remote Control: Basic IR Remote we can choose other alternatives.
- Alternate control: Have its own control app / We can try Cetusplay in our smartphone.
MINIX NEO A3
As an ideal complement to the MINIX NEO U22-XJ we have the MINIX NEO A3 remote. This is a double-sided Flymouse control with keyboard and multimedia controller that also integrates a microphone to give commands by Google Assistant. The remote is connected with a USB adapter to a port of the TV-Box, it also has an infrared system to turn our Box on and off. This remote has backlit keys to control it in the dark, it uses two AAA batteries to operate.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
We connect the MINIX NEO U22-XJ and it does NOT start automatically although we can change this in the MCU settings of the box. When starting, we have the option of selecting two launchers, one of them simple like a tablet and the other designed by MINIX for TV-Box. The first is more flexible for use with a mouse and the second is perfect for use with the included remote control. This second launcher has a lower row that we can customize with the icons of the apps that we want. The performance of Android 9 is very good at the desktop level or with heavy apps, it works stable and without forced closings in the apps.
- Launcher: We can install other alternative launchers in Google Play / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking ONLY available in lower bar / YES lower and upper Android bars.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android classics / Google Play installed.
At the level of system settings we must highlight the MCU controls for automatic, programmable or network boot we also have Root selector and screen rotation control ideal for digital signage among other options. Miracast, X-Plore, FOTA Update and KODI stand out in the installed apps without installed add-ons.
- On/Off Controls: If we keep press the power button we have reset and power off option / Configurable in settings.
- System version and root: Android 9 Pie (32 bit) / NO root by default / YES root menu / Build 2020-04-30 V003 / Model Galilei.
- Support: MINIX have a site and forum for support / Firmware available / Custom firmware not available yet.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The TV-Box MINIX NEO U22-XJ has eMMC 5.1 for internal storage + DDR4 RAM, it has two USB 3.0 port and SD card reader. In the network section it has a wireless adapter Wifi ac 2×2 MIMO + BT 4.1 (AP6356S) and Ethernet Gigabit port. As we can see in the tests the results are good, the wifi reaches decent speeds and the range is normal for a model with two antennas.
- Storage: Total 32GB – Free 29GB / NTFS + exFAT compatible / Expandable with a USB or SD external memory.
- RAM: Total 4GB – Free 3GB / DDR4.
- Network: Good speed with two antennas, internal + external / Range 38dBm, fine. / Bluetooth OK.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
|USB 2.0||USB 3.0||microSD||SATA|
|Read / Write||23/18 MB/s||82/37 MB/s||21/19 MB/s||–|
Power and performance
At level of performance the MINIX NEO U22-XJ you can run any Android app or game thanks to its Amlogic S922X-J Hexa Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A73 + A53 processors and in the graphic section its Mali-G52 MP4 GPU is in the mid / high range. This SoC is made of 12nm, has a fairly low consumption. Temperatures are very low in normal use, the processor manages the speeds correctly so as not to overheat although in prolonged use with synthetic tests it goes into protection mode, something very usual.
- CPU performance: Min 500 MHz / Working 1MHz / Max 1,75 MHz
- Check our Amlogic S922X SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
- Thermals: Min. 39ºC / Working 53ºC / Max. 65ºC / Maintains performance up to 85% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.6W / Min 2.8W / Working 4.3W / Max. 12W
- Games and emulators: IS possible to play titles such as PUBG with low settings / Emulators up to Wii / NO Vulkan support.
- Controls: Compatible with Gamepads by cable or bluetooth.
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
We tested this TV-Box on its video playback aspect, the MINIX NEO U22-XJ has excellent performance as the Amlogic S922X-J SoC integrates an Advanced Video Engine Gen10 VPU compatible with most modern video formats like h.265 and VP9 with native 4K@60 HDR resolution support.
We can use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem and the system comes with a version of KODI full of addons that we recommend to uninstall. At the audio level we can reproduce DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through the HDMI or SPDIF port if we have an AV receiver. See our Amlogic S922X SoC Comparison for more Audio / Video details on this SoC.
- Video Settings: Image quality settings / RGB and SDR / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate with root + AFRd.
- Audio Settings: HDMI and SPDIF up to 5.1 audio / Stereo Jack.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast NO / Miracast YES / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO
- LibreELEC: This model can be compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Little frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||No compatible|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||No compatible, more info about AV1|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
Audio test results
|Formats||DD / DTS 5.1||DD+ / DTS MA||DD True / DTS HR||DD Atmos / DTS X|
|HDMI||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
|Optical||OK / OK||Core||Core||Core*|
- PCM – Stereo only doing downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby / DTS base system
* Our AV receiver does not support these native formats but we verify that it is played back to 7.1
Passing our usual tests with streaming services we check how the most popular services work. The MINIX NEO U22-XJ has a configuration with DRM certificates but is limited in quality in paid streaming services, although luckily it is compatible with most services although they are in their most basic quality of SD video. In this TV-Box we can see Disney+ with sound thanks to the Dolby certificate that it includes.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 y Microsoft PlayReady.
- Certification: No
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Video / Audio||Result||Manual|
|Youtube||HD HDR (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Google Play Movies||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK||–|
|Netflix||SD+ (540p) / Stereo||OK, installing the apk with mouse||Netflix on Android|
|HBO||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||HBO on Android|
|Amazon Prime Video||SD (480p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||Amazon Prime video on Android|
|Disney+||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK (Sound too), with mouse||Disney+ on Android|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo||OK, with mouse||–|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo||OK||–|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
MINIX NEO U22-XJ0.00
Once reviewed the MINIX NEO U22-XJ we can say that we are facing a very complete and interesting Android TV-Box. In this model we have the powerful Amlogic S922X-J SoC that has more than enough power to move any app, powerful games like PUBG, emulators up to 16bit, apps for IPTV or using KODI where we can play 4K@60fps video without performance problems . It is also compatible with all the streaming apps that we have tested such as Netflix, Disney+ (with sound), Amazon Prime Video or HBO, although some are limited do SD image quality due to the absence of certificates.
The MINIX NEO U22-XJ stands out for its Wifi aC 2×2 MIMO Dual Band adapter with good speeds and also for its Gigabit Ethernet port. It also has a programmable MCU boot chip and screen rotation control settings something very sought after for use in digital signage. This new TV-Box does not overheat with video playback or with games as we have verified. As a system we have Android 9 Pie, in general is very stable and moves very smoothly, includes Android navigation bars and a root selector that allows us, for example, to activate the video automatic frame rate refresh.
After testing it we can say that the MINIX NEO U22-XJ is a very complete and powerful TV-Box, it stands out above the rest for the build quality and all the extra details that we find in its firmware that has plans to improve even more.
Where to buy
- Consult our recommended models to see other alternatives.