Xiaomi TV Stick 4K is the new Android TV Stick that we present today its analysis or review. A small device that offers Android TV 11 with all the certificates to see the highest quality streaming platforms.
The Android TV Xiaomi TV Stick 4K has the recent SoC Amlogic S905Y4 very similar to the S905W2 that we have seen in other devices in TV-Stick format. We have the Android TV 11 Certified system, by default it comes with a Bluetooth remote control and integrates a microphone for the Google Assistant with which we can control this device. It also offers us Chromecast and the necessary certificates for Netflix 4K HDR and similar services, it also supports Dolby Vision and Atmos.
Let’s check in our review how this new Xiaomi TV Stick 4K behaves and what it offers us with respect to its rivals in the same sector.
Table of Contents
Product details for Xiaomi Mi TV Stick 4K
The new Xiaomi TV Stick 4K comes in a classic cardboard box with the product image in the upper area. Inside we find the small TV-Stick, remote control, HDMI cable, 5V 1A charger and a first steps manual.
The Xiaomi TV Stick 4K offers a classic design in the line of the previous Stick of the brand. As connectors we only have the micro USB OTG port and the front HDMI 2.1 male.
We also have Bluetooth remote control that has a microphone for Google Assistant, at the top we have two status LEDs. We are surprised by the inclusion of a dedicated key for PatchWalk the Xiaomi launcher, we can change the use of some keys remapping them for other functions.
This small TV-Stick has a Wifi aC + Bluetooth 5.0 chip and has an internal wifi antenna. The cooling system works very well because it does not lose any performance. We do not have a reset button, updates can only be done through Xiaomi’s online OTA system.
- Remote Control: Basic BT Remote with mic / Compatible with keyboard and mouse / App control for Android TV.
We have a micro USB OTG port that allows us to connect a USB + Ethernet HUB with power connector, this allows us to connect peripherals and expand the internal storage with a USB memory. The speed of this port allows us to reach up to about 220 MB/s and the Android TV system detects perfectly this connector in the settings.
- USB port: It allows us to connect a USB 3.0 HUB + microUSB OTG cable, for peripherals or to add Ethernet.
System and Performance
Environment and Android system
Once we have started the Xiaomi TV Stick 4K we find the configuration wizard. It is possible to adjust the Wi-Fi, define which apps will be installed by default and select the type of content we want to see on the main screen. Once the configuration is finished, we arrive at the Android TV launcher designed to be controlled by remote control. When we update the apps the home launcher will change to Google TV with a more modern design. The overall performance is good, we can move smoothly and quickly between menus and different apps.
- Launcher: We can change de the launcher / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / Notifications the upper icon.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android languajes / Google Play for Android TV installed.
- Check our Android TV User Manual to install classic Android Apps, prevent screen rotation and much more.
As a novelty we have the PatchWalk app which is a western version of the Launcher used by Xiaomi in China. A more colorful presentation of content that has little practical use.
We take a look at the system data and the options it includes, we also observe what boot options this device allows us. This TV-Box will have updates via OTA to correct possible failures, security updates and bug fixes.
- On/Off Controls: Sleep mode / Shutdown settings available.
- System version and root: Android TV 11 (32 bit) / NO rooted / NO root menu / CPU r0p1 (S905Y4) / Model MiTV-AYFR0.
- Support: Xiaomi OTA support / IMG firmware NOT available, only OTA update.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The Xiaomi TV Stick 4K has 2 GB of RAM DDR4 memory and for storage we have options with 8 GB eMMC that we can expand with a USB memory. In the network section it has a Wifi ac + Bluetooth 5.0 wireless adapter that as we can see in the tests the results are good. It is possible to use a Gigabit Ethernet adapter using the micro USB OTG 2.0 port but the speed is limited to the speed of this connector, about 220 Mbps.
- Network: Internal Wifi antenna / Range -41 dBm / Link 5G 280 Mbps / Ethernet USB 2.0 / Bluetooth OK.
We found that the performance of the internal storage is very good and moves the system without problems of fluidity, on the other hand the RAM offers better data than other models. The performance of these components is noticeable in the speed at which apps start or in the switching between different sections of the device.
- Storage: Total 3GB – Free 8GB / Expandable with a USB external memory.
- RAM: Total 2GB – Free 1GB / DDR.
- Ports: micro USB 2.0 OTG.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Power and performance
At the core of the Xiaomi TV Stick 4K is the Amlogic S905Y4 Quad Core chip with ARM Cortex-A35 processors and in the graphics section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU which is in the mid-range. This SoC is very similar to its brother S905W2 which is somewhat inferior to the S905X3 or the recent S905X4, but nothing very remarkable. As it is possible to appreciate in the results we only have a small improvement in the single-core performance, it is well positioned matching Fire TV-Stick 4K and somewhat below the Googlecast TV. Undoubtedly this far exceeds the Xiaomi Mi TV-Stick 1080p.
- CPU performance: Min 0.5 GHz / Working 1.2 GHz / Max 2 GHz
- Check our Amlogic S905Y4 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
In the games section we can run PUBG in medium/low quality and also cloud gaming services like NVIDIA GForce Now or using the APK to install it. In the emulators section we can get at most run some Wii titles, but we will not have problems with 2D games of classic consoles with emulators like Retroarch or using KODI, the full OS EmuELEC is not compatible.
- Games and emulators: Is possible to play titles such as PUBG / YES Vulkan support / Basic emulators in RetroArch or KODI.
- Controls: Compatible with Bluetooth or USB Gamepads.
This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly low power consumption and the cooling system maintains very low temperatures in normal use. The processor manages the speeds correctly so as not to heat up excessively.
- Thermals: Min. 40ºC / Working 42 ºC / Max. 63ºC / Maintains performance up to 100% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Min 3W / Working 3.2W / Max. 4.5W
Video and Audio test
Video playback test
In the video playback section the Xiaomi TV Stick 4K is compatible with most modern formats such as h.265, VP9 with native 4K@60fps HDR resolution support and is compatible with the recent AV1 codec but only with streaming apps like YouTube or with the internal media player. We have good performance with 10bit color formats with HDR support and also with Dolby Vision. In the settings we can disable the HDR effect outside of the supported content.
In terms of audio we can play DD and DTS sound up to 7.1 through its HDMI port with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS HR codecs. The Chromecast system works perfectly with all compatible services including apps like Netflix. It is possible to use players such as KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem by installing them directly from the Android TV store.
- Video Settings: NO image quality settings / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate not available.
- Audio Settings: HDMI 7.1 / NO USB audio settings.
- Color and HDR: 10Bit / RGB / HDR 10+ / Dolby Vision / Enables HDR to be disabled.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast YES / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Fix dark video playback.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
Video and audio results
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Only in streaming apps such as Youtube and internal player.|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Native||Dolby 5.1 – Plus / DTS 5.1 – MA|
|Core||Dolby – HD – Atmos / DTS HR – X|
- PCM – Stereo only with downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby or DTS base system / More info
We conducted several tests on streaming services to check how the most popular services work. The Xiaomi TV Stick 4K offers maximum compatibility with all current streaming services. As we have checked Netflix allows us to watch 4K content with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos certificates. We also have Disney+ without sound problems and Amazon Prime video or HBO Max in good quality installable from Google Play if we look for it.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Playready.
- Audio/Video certification: DTS HD – Dolby Atmos / Dolby Vision.
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Calidad / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2060p) / 5.1|
|Google Play Movies||4K (2060p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||4K (2060p) / 7.1 / Netflix Guide|
|HBO Max||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / HBO Max Guide|
|Disney+||4K (2060p) / 7.1 / Disney+ Guide|
|Apple TV+||4K (2060p) / 7.1 / Apple TV+ Guide|
|Prime Video||4K (2060p) / 7.1 / Prime Video Guide|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Stereo|
Conclusions and buy links for Xiaomi TV Stick 4K
After testing the Xiaomi TV Stick 4K we can say that we are facing an Android TV Stick that offers very good results. This is a small device that thanks to the SoC S905Y4 allows us to move any app, powerful games, emulators up to 16/32bit, IPTV apps or make use of KODI where we can play 4K HDR video without problems. It is also compatible with all streaming apps in high quality, plays Netflix 4K with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos system without problems.
In the connectivity section the Xiaomi TV Stick 4K has a Wifi aC + BT 5.0 adapter with pretty good speeds, but if we want to connect it via Ethernet we need a micro USB OTG cable. This Stick as we have found does not heat up in continuous use. It includes the Android TV 11 Certified system, which in general is very stable and moves very smoothly, also has Chromecast and is controlled with a Bluetooth remote with integrated microphone.
Undoubtedly the new Xiaomi TV Stick 4K is a TV-Stick with Android TV 11 very efficient and compact design. A small player that allows us to play all paid streaming services and move through the system smoothly.