Mecool KM7 is the Android TV-Box that we present today its analysis or review. A device that has Android TV 11 and the new Amlogic S905Y4 Quad Core processor.
This Android TV Mecool KM7 premieres the recent Amlogic S905Y4 SoC very similar to the S905W2 that we have seen in other devices. We also have the Android TV 11 Certified system that has a fairly complete bluetooth remote control and microphone for the Google Assistant with which we can control this device. It also offers us Chromecast to play content remotely or Youtube, but it does not have the official certificate for the Netflix app.
Let’s check in our review how this Mecool KM7 behaves and what it offers us.
Table of Contents
This small Android TV-Box Mecool KM7 comes in a classic cardboard box with the image of the product in the upper area. Inside we find the small TV-Box, remote control, HDMI cable, 5V 2A charger and a first steps manual.
Undoubtedly the Mecool KM7 offers a classic design with a rectangular plastic case. On the back we have an Ethernet 10/100 connector, AV jack, HDMI 2.1 and power connector, on one side we have two USB 2.0 and micro SD reader.
We also have Bluetooth remote control that has a microphone for Google Assistant, at the top we have two status LEDs. Some keys that have no direct use but we can remap them for other functions.
This small TV-Box has a Wifi aC + Bluetooth 5.0 chip (AW3155-50R) with an internal wifi antenna. The cooling system fulfills its function well because it hardly heats up. We have a reset button behind the audio jack, but unfortunately Mecool does not usually release firmwares to restore their devices.
- Remote Control: Basic BT + IR Remote with mic / Compatible with keyboard and mouse / App control for Android TV.
SYSTEM AND PERFORMANCE
Environment and Android system
After starting the Mecool KM7 we find the configuration wizard. It is possible to set the Wi-Fi, define which apps will be installed by default and select the type of content we want to see on the main screen. Once the configuration is finished, we get to the Android TV launcher designed to be controlled by remote control. When we update the apps the home launcher will change to Google TV with a more modern design. The overall performance is very good, we can move smoothly and quickly between menus and different apps.
- Launcher: We can change de the launcher / Android UI rendering at 1080p.
- Multitasking and access: Multitasking NOT available / Notifications the upper icon.
- Languages and Google Play: All the international Android languajes / Google Play for Android TV installed.
- Check our Android TV User Manual to install classic Android Apps, prevent screen rotation and much more.
We take a look at the system data and the options it includes, we also observe what boot options this device allows us. This TV-Box will have updates via OTA to correct possible failures, security updates and bug fixes.
- On/Off Controls: Sleep mode / Shutdown settings available.
- System version and root: Android TV 11 (32 bit) / NO rooted / NO root menu / CPU r0p1 (S905Y4) / Model KM7.
- Support: Mecool OTA support / IMG firmware NOT available, only OTA update.
Network, storage, RAM and ports
The Android Box Mecool KM7 has 2/4 GB of DDR3 RAM and for storage we have options with 16/32 GB eMMC that we can expand with a USB memory. In the network section it has a Wifi ac MIMO + Bluetooth wireless adapter that as we can see in the test results are good and the Ethernet 10/100 adapter also behaves normally reaching good figures despite its speed limitation.
- Network: Internal Wifi antenna / Range -41 dBm / Link 5G 280 Mbps / Ethernet 100 / Bluetooth OK.
It has two USB 2.0 ports for connecting external drives or compatible peripherals. We found that the performance of the internal storage is good and moves the system without problems of fluidity, on the other hand the RAM memory offers data in the line of these devices.
- Storage: Total 10GB – Free 16GB / Expandable with a USB external memory.
- RAM: Total 2GB – Free 1GB / DDR.
- Ports: USB 2.0.
- We recommend reading our Tutorial SAMBA on Android networks if we are going to use files from our network PC.
Power and performance
In terms of performance the Mecool KM7 has the Amlogic S905Y4 Quad Core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processors and in the graphics section a Mali-G31 MP2 GPU which is in the mid-range. This SoC is very similar to its brother S905W2 which is somewhat inferior to the S905X3 or the recent S905X4, but nothing very remarkable. As it is possible to appreciate in the results we only have a small improvement in the single-core performance, it is well positioned matching Fire TV-Box 4K and the new Googlecast TV and far exceeds the Xiaomi Mi TV-Box.
- CPU performance: Min 0.5 GHz / Working 1.2 GHz / Max 2 GHz
- Check our Amlogic S905Y2 SoC Comparison against all SoCs in the sector for more details.
For the games area we can run PUBG in medium/low quality and also cloud gaming services like NVIDIA GForce Now or using the APK to install it. In the emulators section we can get at most run some Wii titles, but we will not have problems with 2D games of classic consoles with emulators like Retroarch or using KODI, the full OS EmuELEC is not compatible.
- Games and emulators: Is possible to play titles such as PUBG / YES Vulkan support / Basic emulators in RetroArch or KODI.
- Controls: Compatible with Bluetooth or USB Gamepads.
This SoC is manufactured in 12nm, has a fairly low power consumption and the cooling system maintains low temperatures in normal use. The processor manages the speeds correctly so as not to heat up excessively.
- Thermals: Min. 40ºC / Working 42 ºC / Max. 63ºC / Maintains performance up to 94% / Heat zone on the top / Noise 0db
- Consumption: Off 0.9W / Min 3W / Working 3.2W / Max. 4.5W
VIDEO AND AUDIO TEST
Video playback test
As for video playback the Mecool KM7 supports most modern formats such as h.265, VP9 with native 4K@60fps HDR resolution support and is compatible with the recent AV1 codec but only with streaming apps such as YouTube or with the internal media player. We have good performance with 10bit color formats with HDR support in the basic format.
It is possible to use players like KODI or PLEX without the slightest problem by installing them directly from the Android TV store. As for audio we can play DD and DTS sound up to 5.1 through its HDMI port. The Chromecast system works perfectly with all compatible services, something that does not happen with Netflix.
- Video Settings: NO image quality settings / HDMI-CEC available, see manual / Automatic refresh rate not available.
- Audio Settings: HDMI 5.1 / NO USB audio settings.
- Color and HDR: 10Bit / RGB / HDR 10+.
- Media sharing: GoogleCast YES / Miracast NO / DLNA with BlubblePnP / Airplay NO.
- LibreELEC: This model is NOT compatible with LibreELEC or CoreELEC.
- Tutorials: Install add-on in KODI / Judder effect, how to fix it / Multi-channel audio guide / Correct dark video playback in Android.
- We recommend reading the Setup Guide of our TV to get the best picture quality.
Video and audio results
|h.264 / 1080i / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit||OK|
|h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||Frameskip (SW)|
|h.265 / 1080p / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime)||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|h.265 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P1 / 4K@24fps / 8bit||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 4K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|VP9 P2 / 8K@60fps / 10bit HDR||OK|
|AV1 / 4K@24fps / 10bit||Only in streaming apps such as Youtube and internal player.|
|Max. Bitrate||100 Mbps = 12,5 MB/s.|
- The maximum bitrate depends on the port used to connect or the limitations of SAMBA Networks.
- SW = does not have hardware acceleration and may have have some frameskip in very heavy files.
|Native||Dolby 5.1 – Plus / DTS 5.1 – MA|
|Core||Dolby – HD – Atmos / DTS HR – X|
- PCM – Stereo only with downmix from DD or DTS
- Core – Only the core of the format is played back with what we passed to the Dolby or DTS base system / More info
We performed several tests on streaming services to check how the most popular services work. The Mecool KM7 has some compatibility with all current streaming services. As we have found Netflix is only compatible using a modified app, this means that we depend on this third party app and Netflix can ban at any time the app or even the device as has happened with other Box Mecool previously. We have Disney+ without sound problems and Amazon Prime video in good quality installable from Google Play if we look for it.
- DRM: Google Widevine L1 / Playready.
- Audio/Video certification: Dolby D+ / HDR10.
- Tutorials: Change the size of the captions and the mouse pointer on Android / Install Addons in KODI in a simple way
|Streaming service||Calidad / Audio|
|Youtube||4K (2060p) / 5.1|
|Google Play Movies||4K (2060p) / 5.1|
|Netflix||FullHD (1080p) / Stereo / Using Modified App + mouse + sideload / Netflix Guide|
|HBO Max||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / HBO Max Guide|
|Disney+||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / Disney+ Guide|
|Apple TV+||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / Apple TV+ Guide|
|Prime Video||4K (2060p) / 5.1 / Prime Video Guide|
|DAZN||HD (720p) / Stereo|
|IPTV||FullHD (1080i) / Stereo|
CONCLUSIONS AND BUY LINKS
Once we have tested the Mecool KM7 we can say that we are facing an efficient and comfortable Android TV. This is a Box thanks to the SoC S905Y4 is possible to move any app, powerful games, emulators up to 16/32bit, IPTV apps or use KODI where we can play 4K HDR video without problems. It is also compatible with some streaming apps in high quality, although as you can see Netflix reaches 1080p with a modified app that may stop working.
In terms of connectivity, the Mecool KM7 has a Wifi aC + BT 5.0 adapter with acceptable speeds, although if we want to connect it via local network we must take into account that its port is only Ethernet 10/100. This Box as we have found does not heat up in continuous use. As a system we have Android TV 11 Certificated, which in general is very stable and moves very smoothly, also has Chromecast (not for Netflix) and Bluetooth control with integrated microphone.
We can say in conclusion that the Mecool KM7 is a TV-Box with Android TV 11 works very well in your day to day. A hardware that can be good if we find it well priced and we are not very interested in Netflix 4K.